• Antergos live ISO from USB runs smooth, but bad UI/UX and gerenal performance when running from HDD

Hi everyone,

Since I installed Antergos on my HDD the UI/UX and general performance is too slow or bad on my machine. For example the every button is very unresponsive, animations are stuttering, the reaction time during browsing is way too long and light tools (e.g. Terminal, Nautilus etc.) take a few seconds to start.

But when I start the Antergos live CD from a (slow) USB flash drive everything is so smooth and fast.
    How can I get this normal performance on my stationary HDD installation?

The hardware: 12 GB DDR3, Phenom II X4 955, Radeon HD 5770 (with the xf86-video-ati driver)
    The desktop: Gnome 3.18 (formerly 3.16)

Since I have nearly no experience with Antergos/Linux I do not know where to start to solve this issue.
    Please let me know if you need more software or hardware details.

Thanks in advance
    Ctrl

• start with the output from dmesg:

dmesg >dmesg.txt

and pastebin it here.

Take a look to top htop
    May some unusual load on the CPU? or RAM?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• This is my dmesg output.

The CPU load of Xorg when moving the terminal window or displaying a browser can be up to 20-30%.
    The RAM usage seems OK.

• From Archlinux-Wiki “Radeons from HD 2xxx to HD 6xxx have full 2D acceleration and functional 3D acceleration, but are not supported by all the features that the proprietary driver provides.”

May it is only about the opensource driver and you need to use the proprietary driver…

Caus no unusual CPU load and Ram usage… and no ERROR from dmesg output only two ignorings:

catalyst-hook.service: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit catalyst-hook.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    atieventsd.service: Cannot add dependency job, ignoring: Unit atieventsd.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

As i can see you are using Gnome? this will need some grafik acceleration…

I would try to install the AMD Catalyst proprietary driver:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thank you for your answer.
    I forgot to say that I already have been testing the proprietary catalyst and it was not any better :-(
    I do not understand why it runs so smooth from the USB flash drive and so slow when installed on the HDD.

• @Ctrl said:

Thank you for your answer.
    I forgot to say that I already have been testing the proprietary catalyst and it was not any better :-(
    I do not understand why it runs so smooth from the USB flash drive and so slow when installed on the HDD.

:wink:

Wich way you are installing the catalyst driver? it is a bit tricky to get this running well… For your Card will be this to help getting it running:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Installing_from_the_unofficial_repository

“catalyst for the regular Catalyst driver needed by Radeon HD 5xxx and up, it contains the latest (stable or beta) Catalyst release.”

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• This was the way I installed the catalyst (from the unofficial repository) and yes it was tricky - for me.
    I am not shure if the driver has been installed correctly. Then a kernel update forced me to go back to the open driver because the Xserver could not start anymore and I could not fix this problem.
    I always thought the Antergos USB live image is using the open source driver.

• May second try?

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• I cannot imagine that it will fix the problem because the USB live image does not use the catalyst driver and runs smooth. But in the end I do not know ;-)

Another problem I have is that the suspend and hibernate functionality is not working (the PC does not wake up) and the corresponding buttons in Gnome are missing. Perhaps it has something to do with the graphics driver?

OK, I will ask again when I (have) install(ed) the catalyst packages, thank you.

• You can try to start a gnome classic session, on login, to see if it is smoother!

my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Hi,

Just wanted to confirm that the live ISO does NOT use the catalyst driver.

Did it work well before trying installing the catalyst driver?

• The gnome classic session is not any smoother, even Xfce or LXDE are not much better.

The poor performance was the reason for trying me the catalyst driver.

• You mentioned a kernel update/upgrade in a previous post. Rollback the kernel to a previous one you know worked then reboot and see what your results are.

Regards.

• Hi,

I’ve always faced the same problem with Gnome (all) and just like you I have AMD CPU + GPU system. But only Gnome (or mutter) lags on my system, rest all DEs/WMs I’ve tried work very well.

Well this seems like your HDDs problem, if not HDD, its definitely the dust. Dust makes your CPU work less efficiently and you see shutters n lags.

1. Check yor HDDs Bad Sectors. (Open gnome-disks or “Disks”).
    2. Run hdparm benchmarks
      hdparm -t --direct /dev/sda
      hdparm indicates only the pure read speed of a hard drive, and is not a valid benchmark. A value higher than 40MB/s (while idle) is however acceptable on an average system.
    3. Check for dust in your PC. Should clean it if not done in past 2 years.

Waana see real smoothness in Gnome? Install drop down terminal extension and see how smoothly it comes down. :smiley:
    Whatever your system is, nothing runs as smooth as enlightenment. ;)

Cheers!

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• Thanks for your replies :-)

@Ken Miller: I can try that when I have more time for that but before the kernel upgrade the performance has been already bad. This was the reason for installing the catalyst driver.

@Yash:

1. The SMART values of my HDD (WD6400AAKS) are generally OK. There was only one reallocation event but this value has been constant for years now ;-)
    2. I have 103-109 MB/s but will make some more performance tests.
    3. Even the thinnest fins of my CPU heatsink are clean due to my dust filters.

OK, the drop down terminal is animated exceptional smooth, haha. The problem is e.g. when I type in a web address in the web browser I have to wait about 2 to 3 seconds till I can read the first letter :confused:
    Perhaps I will install the system completely new. But for now I want solve this problem an learn something.

• @Ctrl said:

The problem is e.g. when I type in a web address in the web browser I have to wait about 2 to 3 seconds till I can read the first letter :confused:

Aah I see, its not related to your HDD or CPU, its definitely the driver or Xorg. I’ve had this too. Never managed to get it solved. Fresh reinstallation always does the trick.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

Posts 16Views 2642