• Lighter install disk

I have a couple of machines that have graphics chips that are not good enough to run gnome 3… I’m wondering why not use a lighter desktop for the install media?

• I have a couple of machines that have graphics chips that are not good enough to run gnome 3… I’m wondering why not use a lighter desktop for the install media?

• Hi,

Gnome is our official desktop, that’s why our liveCD comes with it.

Anyway, we’re working on a “minimal” or “lite” version with Openbox, the installer and nothing else.

I’m afraid I can’t give you more details right now and I don’t know when it’s going to be available.

• Cool, will be nice to be able to do an install on older hardware, LOL… Thank you for the Information brother…

• @“AJSlye”:38ipfw6e said:

Cool, will be nice to be able to do an install on older hardware, LOL… Thank you for the Information brother…[/quote:38ipfw6e]

In the meantime you can do a command line installation from the current livecd without booting into GNOME. Just add “systemd.unit=multi-user.target” to the kernel command line (Just start typing when boot menu appears) That will boot into a non graphical level that still sets up your network connection. Log in as root. If you need to use a wifi connection you can use the “wifi-menu” command. To start the CLI installer just run “/arch/setup”

Hope you find that useful!

• Unfortunately, these machines have B43 based wifi chips that need the b43 package from AUR in order to work, thus wifi-menu is useless to me, for installations I use a hard wired network…

PS. just one suggestion, Why not have twm, openbox or fluxbox (like sabayon has) installed as a backup in case gnome-shell fails? Since we now have LXDM instead of GDM, one would just need to change the session and then launch Cnchi to install. then there would be no need for a separate openbox version…

• That’s not a bad idea actually. We recently decided to create a lightweight installer-only session that would use openbox to make a minimal sized iso. With the latest trend of instability in GNOME, having a backup would be smart. Thanks for the suggestion!

The use of LXDM was a quick bandaid for the stability issues. We are preparing to move completely over to LightDM with a customized greeter. I am almost done with it actually

Regards,

• Currently I’m running Cinnamon on my laptop, with MDM installed from the AUR… LightDM does sounds like an excellent Idea though, I’ll need to try that when your finished.

• it would be nice if the iso could fit on a CD.

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• Funny you should mention that. We have something in the works regarding a light weight CD. Stay tuned…

Posts 10Views 1792