• Help with acpid.

Trying to get suspend and stuff to work on my laptop. /var/run/acpid.socket is in use, and i was wondering how i could go about finding out exactly whats using it.

acpid --d -l   
    ⏎  
    Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found. Trying netlink and the input layer...  
    acpid: cannot open input layer  
    inotify fd: 4  
    inotify wd: 1  
    netlink opened successfully  
    acpid: can't open socket /var/run/acpid.socket: Address already in use  

edit: Could it be where i installed a full DE (cinnamon) and perhaps the application that handles these events for it is still installed and enabled? I removed cinnamon and most gnome dependencies and installed openbox.

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

• Trying to get suspend and stuff to work on my laptop. /var/run/acpid.socket is in use, and i was wondering how i could go about finding out exactly whats using it.

acpid --d -l   
    ⏎  
    Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found. Trying netlink and the input layer...  
    acpid: cannot open input layer  
    inotify fd: 4  
    acpid: can't open socket /var/run/acpid.socket: Address already in use  

edit: Could it be where i installed a full DE (cinnamon) and perhaps the application that handles these events for it is still installed and enabled? I removed cinnamon and most gnome dependencies and installed openbox.

• You can find what’s using this file by doing sth like this:

fuser /var/run/acpid.socket

You will see one or maybe bunch of pid numbers (programs that are using this particular file). Next step will show you their real names:

ps aux| grep pidnumber\_for\_previous\_step

• Thank you. This is what i get when i run the first cmd.

sudo fuser /var/run/acpid.socket ⏎  
    [sudo] password for james:   
    /run/acpid.socket: 1 261  

I assumed the pid was the second number, so i did this:

ps aux| grep 261  
    root 261 0.0 0.0 4240 844 ? Ss 12:26 0:00 /usr/bin/acpid -f  
    james 679 0.0 0.0 10672 1092 pts/0 S+ 12:27 0:00 grep 261

root 261 0.0 0.0 4240 844 ? Ss 12:26 0:00 /usr/bin/acpid -f

So acpid is the process using the socket?

• IMHO the answer is “yes”. Find out if [i:318muoz2]acpid.socket[/i:318muoz2] disappear when you stop acpi service daemon:

systemctl stop acpid

• edit: ok i think i got it now, thanks for getting me this far, hopfully suspend will work if not im further now and should be able to figure it out.

sudo acpid --d -l ⏎  
    input layer /dev/input/event0 (AT Translated Set 2 keyboard) opened successfully, fd 4  
    input layer /dev/input/event10 (Video Bus) opened successfully, fd 5  
    input layer /dev/input/event11 (Asus WMI hotkeys) opened successfully, fd 6  
    input layer /dev/input/event2 (Logitech USB Receiver) opened successfully, fd 7  
    input layer /dev/input/event3 (Lid Switch) opened successfully, fd 8  
    input layer /dev/input/event4 (Sleep Button) opened successfully, fd 9  
    input layer /dev/input/event5 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 10  
    input layer /dev/input/event6 (HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3) opened successfully, fd 11  
    input layer /dev/input/event7 (HDA Intel PCH Headphone) opened successfully, fd 12  
    input layer /dev/input/event8 (HDA Intel PCH Mic) opened successfully, fd 13  
    inotify fd: 14  
    acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer  
    parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/anything  
    acpid: 1 rule loaded  
    acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on  

• Ok - no problem. Good luck

• @“matt_max”:1g2kpbdg said:

Ok - no problem. Good luck

I have, today actually, i’ll be going through it again until i can figure this out.

• I haven’t had but one acpi/bios issue with my system with arch. That is the display brightness keys don’t work. I can adjust backlight using an applet or shell command and even assign a script to any other two buttons on the keyboard…just not the ones labeled for the task GRRRRR…The only distro that the keys work without fail is Ubuntu, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what kernel module is responsible. But bringing this back on topic (sorry lol)…compared to most I think our system is above average for acpi/bios compatibility

• Since Dustin mentioned kernel modules, it may be a good idea for you both to install and try ‘linux-mainline’ from the AUR and test this situation on it.

You can also download a binary from here [url:cxyj6rdd]http://arch.miffe.org/[/url:cxyj6rdd] if interested.

You can also add this to your ‘pacman.conf’ to keep it up to date if you wish.

\# Prebuilt Kernel and others  
    SigLevel = Optional TrustAll  
    Server = http://arch.miffe.org/$arch  

May God guide your thoughts and your actions to help you.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• I am not certain but I think I tried that kernel already. I tried so many things its hard to remember though lol. I did see the kernel Dell installs on their linux XPS laptop is in the AUR, I may give them both a go

• @“MaNNa”:3mdfz61j said:

Since Dustin mentioned kernel modules, it may be a good idea for you both to install and try ‘linux-mainline’ from the AUR and test this situation on it.

You can also download a binary from here [url:3mdfz61j]http://arch.miffe.org/[/url:3mdfz61j] if interested.

You can also add this to your ‘pacman.conf’ to keep it up to date if you wish.

> \# Prebuilt Kernel and others  
    > SigLevel = Optional TrustAll  
    > Server = http://arch.miffe.org/$arch  
    > 

May God guide your thoughts and your actions to help you.[/quote:3mdfz61j]

I got everything working now, im going to test the mainline kernel as well, since you posted a link to binary.

• Mark topic as [b:2nwxijx7][SOLVED][/b:2nwxijx7] and describe what have you done. Maybe this will come in handy to someone else.

Posts 13Views 2022