• Help with acpid.

Trying to get suspend and stuff to work on my laptop. /var/run/acpid.socket is in use, and i was wondering how i could go about finding out exactly whats using it.

acpid --d -l   
    ⏎  
    Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found. Trying netlink and the input layer...  
    acpid: cannot open input layer  
    inotify fd: 4  
    inotify wd: 1  
    netlink opened successfully  
    acpid: can't open socket /var/run/acpid.socket: Address already in use  

edit: Could it be where i installed a full DE (cinnamon) and perhaps the application that handles these events for it is still installed and enabled? I removed cinnamon and most gnome dependencies and installed openbox.

• Trying to get suspend and stuff to work on my laptop. /var/run/acpid.socket is in use, and i was wondering how i could go about finding out exactly whats using it.

acpid --d -l   
    ⏎  
    Deprecated /proc/acpi/event was not found. Trying netlink and the input layer...  
    acpid: cannot open input layer  
    inotify fd: 4  
    acpid: can't open socket /var/run/acpid.socket: Address already in use  

edit: Could it be where i installed a full DE (cinnamon) and perhaps the application that handles these events for it is still installed and enabled? I removed cinnamon and most gnome dependencies and installed openbox.

• You can find what’s using this file by doing sth like this:

fuser /var/run/acpid.socket

You will see one or maybe bunch of pid numbers (programs that are using this particular file). Next step will show you their real names:

ps aux| grep pidnumber\_for\_previous\_step

• Thank you. This is what i get when i run the first cmd.

sudo fuser /var/run/acpid.socket ⏎  
    [sudo] password for james:   
    /run/acpid.socket: 1 261  

I assumed the pid was the second number, so i did this:

ps aux| grep 261  
    root 261 0.0 0.0 4240 844 ? Ss 12:26 0:00 /usr/bin/acpid -f  
    james 679 0.0 0.0 10672 1092 pts/0 S+ 12:27 0:00 grep 261

root 261 0.0 0.0 4240 844 ? Ss 12:26 0:00 /usr/bin/acpid -f

So acpid is the process using the socket?

• IMHO the answer is “yes”. Find out if [i:318muoz2]acpid.socket[/i:318muoz2] disappear when you stop acpi service daemon:

systemctl stop acpid

• edit: ok i think i got it now, thanks for getting me this far, hopfully suspend will work if not im further now and should be able to figure it out.

sudo acpid --d -l ⏎  
    input layer /dev/input/event0 (AT Translated Set 2 keyboard) opened successfully, fd 4  
    input layer /dev/input/event10 (Video Bus) opened successfully, fd 5  
    input layer /dev/input/event11 (Asus WMI hotkeys) opened successfully, fd 6  
    input layer /dev/input/event2 (Logitech USB Receiver) opened successfully, fd 7  
    input layer /dev/input/event3 (Lid Switch) opened successfully, fd 8  
    input layer /dev/input/event4 (Sleep Button) opened successfully, fd 9  
    input layer /dev/input/event5 (Power Button) opened successfully, fd 10  
    input layer /dev/input/event6 (HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3) opened successfully, fd 11  
    input layer /dev/input/event7 (HDA Intel PCH Headphone) opened successfully, fd 12  
    input layer /dev/input/event8 (HDA Intel PCH Mic) opened successfully, fd 13  
    inotify fd: 14  
    acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer  
    parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/anything  
    acpid: 1 rule loaded  
    acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on  

• Ok - no problem. Good luck

• @“matt_max”:1g2kpbdg said:

Ok - no problem. Good luck

I have, today actually, i’ll be going through it again until i can figure this out.

• I haven’t had but one acpi/bios issue with my system with arch. That is the display brightness keys don’t work. I can adjust backlight using an applet or shell command and even assign a script to any other two buttons on the keyboard…just not the ones labeled for the task GRRRRR…The only distro that the keys work without fail is Ubuntu, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what kernel module is responsible. But bringing this back on topic (sorry lol)…compared to most I think our system is above average for acpi/bios compatibility

• Since Dustin mentioned kernel modules, it may be a good idea for you both to install and try ‘linux-mainline’ from the AUR and test this situation on it.

You can also download a binary from here [url:cxyj6rdd]http://arch.miffe.org/[/url:cxyj6rdd] if interested.

You can also add this to your ‘pacman.conf’ to keep it up to date if you wish.

\# Prebuilt Kernel and others  
    SigLevel = Optional TrustAll  
    Server = http://arch.miffe.org/$arch  

May God guide your thoughts and your actions to help you.

• I am not certain but I think I tried that kernel already. I tried so many things its hard to remember though lol. I did see the kernel Dell installs on their linux XPS laptop is in the AUR, I may give them both a go

• @“MaNNa”:3mdfz61j said:

Since Dustin mentioned kernel modules, it may be a good idea for you both to install and try ‘linux-mainline’ from the AUR and test this situation on it.

You can also download a binary from here [url:3mdfz61j]http://arch.miffe.org/[/url:3mdfz61j] if interested.

You can also add this to your ‘pacman.conf’ to keep it up to date if you wish.

> \# Prebuilt Kernel and others  
    > SigLevel = Optional TrustAll  
    > Server = http://arch.miffe.org/$arch  
    > 

May God guide your thoughts and your actions to help you.[/quote:3mdfz61j]

I got everything working now, im going to test the mainline kernel as well, since you posted a link to binary.

• Mark topic as [b:2nwxijx7][SOLVED][/b:2nwxijx7] and describe what have you done. Maybe this will come in handy to someone else.

Posts 13Views 2884
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.