• Gnome 3 current + cinnamon 2.x - how do they live together?

I’m pretty happy with whatever version of gnome 3.10 packages are installed for me in my current Antergos build.

But, I’d like to also try Cinnamon…

I prefer NOT trying things in a VM when possible. But, I also can’t stand when DE’s impact one another - and so for this reason I rarely have two DE’s installed at once. (I"ve never quite had KDE and GNOME installed at the same time without both of them contaminating the other in some way, for example.)

If I install Cinnamon - will I know from the Cinnamon desktop that GNOME is installed? And vice-versa?

With their move away from GNOME packages, but still being GTK based, I’d expect them to play nice together.

I don’t care about GDM vs whatever display manager Cinnamon provides, that’s no problem no matter how it works out…

Thanks for any input!

• I’m pretty happy with whatever version of gnome 3.10 packages are installed for me in my current Antergos build.

But, I’d like to also try Cinnamon…

I prefer NOT trying things in a VM when possible. But, I also can’t stand when DE’s impact one another - and so for this reason I rarely have two DE’s installed at once. (I"ve never quite had KDE and GNOME installed at the same time without both of them contaminating the other in some way, for example.)

If I install Cinnamon - will I know from the Cinnamon desktop that GNOME is installed? And vice-versa?

With their move away from GNOME packages, but still being GTK based, I’d expect them to play nice together.

I don’t care about GDM vs whatever display manager Cinnamon provides, that’s no problem no matter how it works out…

Thanks for any input!

• Hi,

I’ve never had the problem you mentioned here:

(I’ve never quite had KDE and GNOME installed at the same time without both of them contaminating the other in some way, for example.)

Even though I use KDE all the time, and have for years, I also install Gnome as there are a fair number of apps that I use that are Gnome/GTK based, so need those libraries.

Maybe you can try again then mention here the problems you are having so that we can look out for them!

All the best…

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• Hi,

MaNNa is right. I’ve got now installed Cinnamon 2.0 and Gnome 3.10 and I’m using the latter without any problems. I used Cinnamon for a while but it’s a DE that feels a bit outdated (just my opinion here).

But if you have any issues don’t hesitate and post them here. We’re always glad to help.

Posts 4Views 1060