• Unable to Log In - Black Screen with Cursor where LightDM Used to Be

My family computer will not allow GUI login. We got back from vacation and it was frozen on the login screen, and I ended up having to force a reboot.

When it boots up, it boots to a black screen with no greeter. I can tty into a terminal and log in but I don’t know what to do now to try to troubleshoot or fix this. I was able to make sure all updates were run by terminal.

What’s my next steps?

• what desktop ow window manager are you using?
    try installing the proper light dm greeter
    try booting a different kernel. do you have more than one kernel installed?
    what graphics card are you using? this could be the result of not using the proper graphics driver for your kernel…

• @Lizzi Running Cinnamon and LightDM is installed. This setup has been running fine for many months, The graphics card is an nVidia of some sort, and has been running the official nVidia driver. I may need some help getting you exact info, so if there’s output of certain commands you might need to see, just let me know.

As for Kernels, I assume I only have whatever has been auto-updated, if that’s what you mean. I have not manually installed any alternate kernels, and there should not have been any updates run, since we were not even home. Just came back to a frozen screen.

• Hi !

Do you have internet?
    As if installed on a tty

$ Sudo pacman -S downgrade
    and then you

$ downgrade linux

This volveras way to an older kernel and you can start to see problems

• @judd said:

Hi !

Do you have internet?
    As if installed on a tty

and then you

$ downgrade linux

Thanks for the reply. The current kernel is 4.2.2-1-arch, if that matters
    I can try downgrading the kernel, but no new kernel was installed while we were away, since the house was empty. Really curious what caused a failure with no human interaction.

• @Myk-Robinson said:

@judd said:

Hi !

Do you have internet?
    As if installed on a tty

and then you

$ downgrade linux

Thanks for the reply. The current kernel is 4.2.2-1-arch, if that matters
    I can try downgrading the kernel, but no new kernel was installed while we were away, since the house was empty. Really curious what caused a failure with no human interaction.

sudo pacman -Syyuuv

• @judd It responds “There is nothing to do.”

I did run a full update this morning AFTER the problem occurred, thinking that maybe there is an update to address this issue.

• @judd said:

gggggggggggggggg.png

Thank you. That got me back in and the desktop seems to be fine. Any reason I should be concerned going forward? Should I just leave well enough alone, or should I try to switch back to the other after a few weeks or so?

Seems about every three or four months, something happens to break logging in.

• all the posts ive seen about lighdm it seems best to just ditch it and move on

• I use lightdm but i have my install setup for auto login. I tried logging out rather than shutting down or rebooting just to see how lightdm is working for me and while i got the lightdm greeter there was no mouse pointer. Dont care to bother with it as i have autologin set up and my m2 ssd drive boots antergos openbox in 10 seconds or less. If i cared about looking at the greeter i might install mdm (mate display manager)

• Bump. Happened to me at work breaktime. Antergos Openbox setup. Switched LightDM to GDM to temporary fix the issue.

• @pedro.a.1smr Please dont bump dead threads. Surely the issue you are experiencing today is not the same as the one on this thread. It might have the same visible symptom but that’s about it. Start a new thread and provide logs so we can try and debug the issue with you. Thanks.

Posts 14Views 5110