• Tracker going nuts on dual boot

Hi there,

I have a dual boot set-up with Antergos and Debian Testing both running gnome-shell (on occasion also Cinnamon) and sharing the same $HOME. Whenever I into the “other” distribution (doesn’t matter if Debian -> Antergos or vice versa), tracker occupies about 1.5 cores of the CPU and never finishes. The miner-fs is taking up most of 1 core and tracker-store is keeping another one busy at about 50% or so.

They some to be stuck in some infinite loop, even after an hour or more, the processes are still running. Only way around is to remove all indices and start to re-index. Then you hardly notice tracker at work until booting into the the other distro, As long as you keep rebooting into the same distro all is fine.

Anyone has an idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Thanks

Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
    dual boot: Antergos and Debian Stretch both 64bit and running gnome-shell
    surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS and Codeweavers Crossover

• I dont think you can realistically have two distros sharing the same home directory. Thats the problem in a nutshell. For it to work i would think they would have to running the same version and maybe not even then. That’s my advice. Don’t share a home directory. Create a different user name at the very least for each install.

• Except for the tracker thing, I didn’t have any problems so far sharing the home partition (with the same user name) between different distros on a dual boot setup over many years. I have to admit, taht I was always a bit worried when for example different versions of the DE (lets same gnome 3.14 and 3.16) were used. But even then no real issues.

But thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers!

Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
    dual boot: Antergos and Debian Stretch both 64bit and running gnome-shell
    surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS and Codeweavers Crossover

tracker3 Posts 3Views 372