• Login with LightDM; after click on User to input password, screen becomes white

Hi,
    I updated this weekend to the latest packages including Gnome 3.18.0 and Lightdm 1.1.16.3-1 and all the other stuff.
    After that when rebooting (this happens on both computers which run Antergos) and getting to the window to choose the user, I click the user to open the input field for the password. At that moment the screen turns white completely. I can’t see anything of the screen as before.
    I can input my password and after “Enter” the computer finishes booting.

How can I get LightDM again to act correctly? Has this been experienced by other users?

If additional information is required then just tell what’s needed.

Thanks in advance,
    kitatu
    logs.tar

• Hello kitatu:

The window to login that you are referring to is called the ‘greeter’. I had a look at the Arch Wiki and am wondering that this might be your issue:

From the Arch Wiki:

LightDM freezes on login attempt
    You may find that after entering the correct username and password and attempting to log in, LightDM freezes and you are unable to continue to the desktop. To fix the issue, reinstall the  gdk-pixbuf2  package.

Is this your issue? That you are unable to continue to continue to your desktop after logging in through the greeter?

are you able to access your log files in : /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log if you have those files, that is?

EDIT: Inside your x-0-greeter.log files you have the following message:

(lightdm-webkit2-greeter:906): Gtk-WARNING **: drawing failure for widget 'WebKitWebView': invalid value for an input Visual*

I’m none too sure if the above solution as per the Arch Wiki might be of assistance but it’s a start to navigating to a solution. Will Google a bit for you though in the interim.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• @Modisc
    Hi Modisc,
    Thanks for your help and for looking in to this.
    Fortunately I am able to login and continue work as normal. The only thing changed was that I can not see anything anymore on the greeter screen. The whole screen becomes white when I click on the user for which I want to enter the password.
    When it first happened I thought my system crashed or something like that. But I was able to change the console and login too.
    Even now I can login to the Gnome GUI too, but with the difference that as described above, the screen changes completely to white when the password is required. As soon as I input the password blind and press “Enter” the computer continues to boot and I can work.

One thing I forgot to mention and what I didn’t remember anymore in the first place and found out later was the fact that I had “testing”, “multilib-testing” and “core-testing” activated. This I have changed now but I have no idea how to return to the previous working versions.

And yes, I have access to my log files. Do you need any additional information?

kitatu

• I am only curious, please post the output of the following:

cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

ls /usr/share/xgreeters

The last command above should output this information: lightdm-webkit2-greeter.desktop

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• @Modisc

The formatting gets messed up. I have to change some things before I post again.

• @Modisc

Ok, Here it is:

<pre><code>

#General configuration

#start-default-seat = True to always start one seat if none are defined in the configuration
    #greeter-user = User to run greeter as
    #minimum-display-number = Minimum display number to use for X servers
    #minimum-vt = First VT to run displays on
    #lock-memory = True to prevent memory from being paged to disk
    #user-authority-in-system-dir = True if session authority should be in the system location
    #guest-account-script = Script to be run to setup guest account
    #logind-check-graphical = True to on start seats that are marked as graphical by logind
    #log-directory = Directory to log information to
    #run-directory = Directory to put running state in
    #cache-directory = Directory to cache to
    #sessions-directory = Directory to find sessions
    #remote-sessions-directory = Directory to find remote sessions
    #greeters-directory = Directory to find greeters

[LightDM]
    #start-default-seat=true
    #greeter-user=lightdm
    #minimum-display-number=0
    #minimum-vt=7
    #lock-memory=true
    #user-authority-in-system-dir=false
    #guest-account-script=guest-account
    #logind-check-graphical=false
    #log-directory=/var/log/lightdm
    run-directory=/run/lightdm
    #cache-directory=/var/cache/lightdm
    #sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/sessions:/usr/share/xsessions:/usr/share/wayland-sessions
    #remote-sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions
    #greeters-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/greeters:/usr/share/xgreeters

#Seat configuration

#Seat configuration is matched against the seat name glob in the section, for example:
    #[Seat:] matches all seats and is applied first.
    #[Seat:seat0] matches the seat named “seat0”.
    #[Seat:thin-client
    ] matches all seats that have names that start with “thin-client”.

#type = Seat type (xlocal, xremote)
    #pam-service = PAM service to use for login
    #pam-autologin-service = PAM service to use for autologin
    #pam-greeter-service = PAM service to use for greeters
    #xserver-command = X server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. X -special-option)
    #xmir-command = Xmir server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. Xmir -special-option)
    #xserver-layout = Layout to pass to X server
    #xserver-config = Config file to pass to X server
    #xserver-allow-tcp = True if TCP/IP connections are allowed to this X server
    #xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and session
    #xserver-hostname = Hostname of X server (only for type=xremote)
    #xserver-display-number = Display number of X server (only for type=xremote)
    #xdmcp-manager = XDMCP manager to connect to (implies xserver-allow-tcp=true)
    #xdmcp-port = XDMCP UDP/IP port to communicate on
    #xdmcp-key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 (stored in keys.conf)
    #unity-compositor-command = Unity compositor command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. unity-system-compositor -special-option)
    #unity-compositor-timeout = Number of seconds to wait for compositor to start
    #greeter-session = Session to load for greeter
    #greeter-hide-users = True to hide the user list
    #greeter-allow-guest = True if the greeter should show a guest login option
    #greeter-show-manual-login = True if the greeter should offer a manual login option
    #greeter-show-remote-login = True if the greeter should offer a remote login option
    #user-session = Session to load for users
    #allow-user-switching = True if allowed to switch users
    #allow-guest = True if guest login is allowed
    #guest-session = Session to load for guests (overrides user-session)
    #session-wrapper = Wrapper script to run session with
    #greeter-wrapper = Wrapper script to run greeter with
    #guest-wrapper = Wrapper script to run guest sessions with
    #display-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter session (runs as root)
    #display-stopped-script = Script to run after stopping the display server (runs as root)
    #greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
    #session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
    #session-cleanup-script = Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as root)
    #autologin-guest = True to log in as guest by default
    #autologin-user = User to log in with by default (overrides autologin-guest)
    #autologin-user-timeout = Number of seconds to wait before loading default user
    #autologin-session = Session to load for automatic login (overrides user-session)
    #autologin-in-background = True if autologin session should not be immediately activated
    #exit-on-failure = True if the daemon should exit if this seat fails
    #[Seat:*]
    #type=xlocal
    #pam-service=lightdm
    #pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
    #pam-greeter-service=lightdm-greeter
    #xserver-command=X
    #xmir-command=Xmir
    #xserver-layout=
    #xserver-config=
    #xserver-allow-tcp=false
    #xserver-share=true
    #xserver-hostname=
    #xserver-display-number=
    #xdmcp-manager=
    #xdmcp-port=177
    #xdmcp-key=
    #unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor
    #unity-compositor-timeout=60
    greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter
    #greeter-session=example-gtk-greeter
    #greeter-hide-users=false
    #greeter-allow-guest=true
    #greeter-show-manual-login=false
    #greeter-show-remote-login=true
    #user-session=default
    #allow-user-switching=true
    #allow-guest=true
    #guest-session=
    session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession
    #greeter-wrapper=
    #guest-wrapper=
    #display-setup-script=
    #display-stopped-script=
    #greeter-setup-script=
    #session-setup-script=
    #session-cleanup-script=
    #autologin-guest=false
    #autologin-user=
    #autologin-user-timeout=0
    #autologin-in-background=false
    #autologin-session=
    #exit-on-failure=false

#XDMCP Server configuration

#enabled = True if XDMCP connections should be allowed
    #port = UDP/IP port to listen for connections on
    #listen-address = Host/address to listen for XDMCP connections (use all addresses if not present)
    #key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 or blank to not use authentication (stored in keys.conf)

#The authentication key is a 56 bit DES key specified in hex as 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Alternatively
    #it can be a word and the first 7 characters are used as the key.

[XDMCPServer]
    #enabled=false
    #port=177
    #listen-address=
    #key=

#VNC Server configuration

#enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
    #command = Command to run Xvnc server with
    #port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
    #listen-address = Host/address to listen for VNC connections (use all addresses if not present)
    #width = Width of display to use
    #height = Height of display to use
    #depth = Color depth of display to use

[VNCServer]
    #enabled=false
    #command=Xvnc
    #port=5900
    #listen-address=
    #width=1024
    #height=768
    #depth=8
    </code></pre>

• @Modisc

I am doing something wrong formatting with the code block, but have no idea what :worried:

• @kitatu
    Use this: ``` (3 times)
    It’s the key directly below the ESC key for posting output
    Do the following:

Press the key below the ESC key (3 times, that is);
    Press the ENTER key to go to the next line;
    Enter your content;
    Select the ENTER KEY to go the next line;
    Press the key below the ESC key ( 3 times, that is)

Your** .conf** file looks fine and is comparable to mine.
    From the Arch Wiki:

**LightDM doesn't appear**
    It may happen that your system boots so fast that LightDM service is started before your graphics drivers are properly loaded. If this is your case, you'll want to add the following config to your lightdm.conf file:

What happens when you change this:

to this:

#logind-check-graphical=true

• @Modisc

behavior did not change. Greeter screen still goes white.
    And yes, I removed the double cross at the beginning of the line.

• Hi
    @ kitatu
    Please change the .conf file back to it’s default for the time being.
    I’ll keep trying to look for a solution. Perhaps others can also join if they wish to help find a solution.

• @Modisc
    Thank you so far for your help.

I will try now to change the greeter from Lightdm to something else and then go back again.
    Maybe that helps…

• @kitatu

What would happen if you attempted to re-install the greeter package? Perhaps there is an element that is missing or was overwritten since the last update.
    Do the following (if you wish, since you mentioned you were looking for an alternative for the time being

sudo pacman -S lightdm-gtk-greeter

I think that your lightdm service is started via systemctl as it obviously is presenting itself; however, not all elements are visible immediately post boot.

• @Modisc
    I already did this.
    I reinstalled lightdm-gtk-greeter and gdk-pixbuf2, but it didn’t help at all. Same behavior as before.

Now I just reactivated testing, community-testing and multilib-testing and made an update.

Didn’t work. Still the same.

• I had another look through your** .conf file. It is really weird. There is no [SeatDefaults] listed.

Within my own **.conf **file, I have the following order:

LightDM <–You have this
    Seat defaults <–notice without brackets. You don’t have this
    [Seat Defaults] <—notice the brackets. You don’t have this
    Seat Configuration <–You have this

I can give you a copy of mine to edit via root for your self.
    Are you running Gnome Desktop? Am asking only to confirm some things.

EDIT; from your lightdm.log file, you have the following information:

[SeatDefaults] is now called [Seat:*], please update this configuration
    None too sure how to go about that. But you already have this as listed in your post above.

EDIT: So as to only determine what graphics you have, please post the output of your graphics card.
    Do the following:

lspci -v

Only need to post the output of the VGA compatible controller portion of it.

Also, please double check that lightdm does start on login. It sounds like it does as per your issues. This is to rule out other possibilities. Please do the following:

systemctl is-enabled lightdm

• @Modisc
    Yes, I am running Gnome Desktop.
    If you can provide your *.conf would be great. I can compare and make the changes accordingly.
    Here is the output of lspci -v

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    	Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device 098f
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 34
    	Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    	Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
    	I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
    	Expansion ROM at f7000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    	Kernel modules: nouveau

Yes, lightdm is enabled according to the command.

EDIT:
    I found a possibility to run lightdm in test-mode (lightdm --test-mode --debug). The following is the result I have:

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.16.3, UID=0 PID=5502
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Using Xephyr for X servers
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-1.log
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:1
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Launching X Server
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Launching process 5508: /usr/bin/Xephyr :1 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:1 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Waiting for ready signal from X server :1
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Loading users from org.freedesktop.Accounts
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: User /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User1000 added
    Failed to use bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager, do you have appropriate permissions?

The last line may be the cause for the problem, but have no idea how and where to solve it.
    Thanks,
    kitatu

• @kitatu
    You have Nvidia graphics, so I am only throwing it out there. I’m no expert like one of the devs for Antergos might be, so don’t cogitate too strongly on your graphics driver over it being the culprit. As I said, I am only throwing it out there.

Secondly, I am unsure if the ( freedesktop.DisplayManager) error message really even means anything. Is there more than one user session entry in the greeter window? Maybe there is something in ~/.xsessions. It might even be empty. Besides, look at this from your log file:
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: User /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User1000 added. As I mentioned earlier, I’m no expert, but if that means that there is another user to the computer, then that’s probably why. Not much to worry about, in my opinion.

Also, before you do any kind of replacing of one .conf file with another, cd /etc/lightdm and then do ls while inside that directory. Post the output of the files inside that directory. Is there a ** lightdm.conf.pacnew ** and a* lightdm.conf* files?

If there is, you need to move the lightdm.conf file out. Say to your /home directory.
    Do the followig:sudo mv lightdm.conf /home/kitatu/Documents and then go ahead and rename the lightdm.conf.pacnew: Do the following as root :sudo mv lightdm.conf.pacnew lightdm.conf

Here is the .conf file. Save your own file somewhere safe. Like maybe in your /home directory for future use (in case something goes ‘oopsy’). But it is probably one that you have of the .pacnew file that your going to rename:

EDIT: As I am having trouble uploading said document, I will just post the output of it instead:

#
    # General configuration
    #
    # start-default-seat = True to always start one seat if none are defined in the configuration
    # greeter-user = User to run greeter as
    # minimum-display-number = Minimum display number to use for X servers
    # minimum-vt = First VT to run displays on
    # lock-memory = True to prevent memory from being paged to disk
    # user-authority-in-system-dir = True if session authority should be in the system location
    # guest-account-script = Script to be run to setup guest account
    # logind-check-graphical = True to on start seats that are marked as graphical by logind
    # log-directory = Directory to log information to
    # run-directory = Directory to put running state in
    # cache-directory = Directory to cache to
    # sessions-directory = Directory to find sessions
    # remote-sessions-directory = Directory to find remote sessions
    # greeters-directory = Directory to find greeters
    #
    [LightDM]
    #start-default-seat=true
    #greeter-user=lightdm
    #minimum-display-number=0
    #minimum-vt=7
    #lock-memory=true
    #user-authority-in-system-dir=false
    #guest-account-script=guest-account
    #log-directory=/var/log/lightdm
    run-directory=/run/lightdm
    #cache-directory=/var/cache/lightdm
    #sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/sessions:/usr/share/xsessions
    #remote-sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions
    #greeters-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/greeters:/usr/share/xgreeters

#
    # Seat defaults
    #
    # type = Seat type (xlocal, xremote)
    # pam-service = PAM service to use for login
    # pam-autologin-service = PAM service to use for autologin
    # pam-greeter-service = PAM service to use for greeters
    # xserver-command = X server command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. X -special-option)
    # xserver-layout = Layout to pass to X server
    # xserver-config = Config file to pass to X server
    # xserver-allow-tcp = True if TCP/IP connections are allowed to this X server
    # xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and session
    # xserver-hostname = Hostname of X server (only for type=xremote)
    # xserver-display-number = Display number of X server (only for type=xremote)
    # xdmcp-manager = XDMCP manager to connect to (implies xserver-allow-tcp=true)
    # xdmcp-port = XDMCP UDP/IP port to communicate on
    # xdmcp-key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 (stored in keys.conf)
    # unity-compositor-command = Unity compositor command to run (can also contain arguments e.g. unity-system-compositor -special-option)
    # unity-compositor-timeout = Number of seconds to wait for compositor to start
    # greeter-session = Session to load for greeter
    # greeter-hide-users = True to hide the user list
    # greeter-allow-guest = True if the greeter should show a guest login option
    # greeter-show-manual-login = True if the greeter should offer a manual login option
    # greeter-show-remote-login = True if the greeter should offer a remote login option
    # user-session = Session to load for users
    # allow-user-switching = True if allowed to switch users
    # allow-guest = True if guest login is allowed
    # guest-session = Session to load for guests (overrides user-session)
    # session-wrapper = Wrapper script to run session with
    # greeter-wrapper = Wrapper script to run greeter with
    # guest-wrapper = Wrapper script to run guest sessions with
    # display-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter session (runs as root)
    # display-stopped-script = Script to run after stopping the display server (runs as root)
    # greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
    # session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
    # session-cleanup-script = Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as root)
    # autologin-guest = True to log in as guest by default
    # autologin-user = User to log in with by default (overrides autologin-guest)
    # autologin-user-timeout = Number of seconds to wait before loading default user
    # autologin-session = Session to load for automatic login (overrides user-session)
    # autologin-in-background = True if autologin session should not be immediately activated
    # exit-on-failure = True if the daemon should exit if this seat fails
    #
    [SeatDefaults]
    #type=xlocal
    #pam-service=lightdm
    #pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
    #pam-greeter-service=lightdm-greeter
    #xserver-command=X
    #xserver-layout=
    #xserver-config=
    #xserver-allow-tcp=false
    #xserver-share=true
    #xserver-hostname=
    #xserver-display-number=
    #xdmcp-manager=
    #xdmcp-port=177
    #xdmcp-key=
    #unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor
    #unity-compositor-timeout=60
    greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter
    #greeter-hide-users=false
    #greeter-allow-guest=true
    #greeter-show-manual-login=false
    #greeter-show-remote-login=true
    user-session=gnome
    #allow-user-switching=true
    #allow-guest=true
    #guest-session=
    session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession
    #greeter-wrapper=
    #guest-wrapper=
    #display-setup-script=
    #display-stopped-script=
    #greeter-setup-script=
    #session-setup-script=
    #session-cleanup-script=
    #autologin-guest=false
    #autologin-user=
    #autologin-user-timeout=0
    #autologin-in-background=false
    #autologin-session=UNIMPLEMENTED
    #exit-on-failure=false

#
    # Seat configuration
    #
    # Each seat must start with "Seat:".
    # Uses settings from [SeatDefaults], any of these can be overriden by setting them in this section.
    #
    #[Seat:0]

#
    # XDMCP Server configuration
    #
    # enabled = True if XDMCP connections should be allowed
    # port = UDP/IP port to listen for connections on
    # key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 or blank to not use authentication (stored in keys.conf)
    #
    # The authentication key is a 56 bit DES key specified in hex as 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.  Alternatively
    # it can be a word and the first 7 characters are used as the key.
    #
    [XDMCPServer]
    #enabled=false
    #port=177
    #key=

#
    # VNC Server configuration
    #
    # enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
    # command = Command to run Xvnc server with
    # port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
    # width = Width of display to use
    # height = Height of display to use
    # depth = Color depth of display to use
    #
    [VNCServer]
    #enabled=false
    #command=Xvnc
    #port=5900
    #width=1024
    #height=768
    #depth=8

• Hi,

Please see my response on the following topic as it actually applies to this topic:

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/2999/lightdm-service-loaded-failed/3

Cheers!

• I am having the same problem! Did you solved it? Please share how to solve it!

• According to https://forum.antergos.com/topic/3012/buggy-login-screen-after-upgrading-to-gnome-3-18/2 arch is having the same issue. I recommend locking this thread in favor of that one.

login manager10 lightdm88 Posts 20Views 6691