• How to handle .pacnew mirrorlist file.

New here. Not sure what to do with .pacnew files. Updated my system today and ran “yaourt -C” and was notified I had one mirrorlist.pacnew file. I went into /etc/pacman.d/ and found three mirrorlist files as follows: antergos-mirrorlist (sorted by country and "autodetect closest mirror); mirrorlist (which seems to contain all possible mirrors); and mirrorlist-pacnew (sorted by country, but larger list than the first one given).

I have read some suggestions on here, the first step worked (move pacnew list into the general mirrorlist), but the second listed step was not permitted. The command which did not work was: sudo mv /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.pacnew /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.

Got that from this forum. So, what should I do with these .pacnew files when I get them. Have found no good source of information that I can read and understand.

So what are the best steps to follow in the future? Thanks for any help I receive. Don

• @Don43085 said:

…So, what should I do with these .pacnew files when I get them. Have found no good source of information that I can read and understand.

Consider mirrorlist.pacnew files as a generic recommendation (suggestions) about recently available servers, for Arch users.

As you can see, all servers in them are commented out. It’s up to the user to decide, to find out most suitable for him, and use them, by adjusting /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist as needed. By hand.

reflector does that job automatically.

So what are the best steps to follow in the future?..

Two simple steps have never failed here:

1. completely ignore mirrorlist.pacnew files’ existence
    2. run reflector , from time to time

Instead of going crazy and wasting time treating old and new mirrorlists by hand, let reflector do the same job for you, automatically and in few seconds.

You might want to instruct it to find for you the Arch servers:

1. updated in last 8 hours
    2. select from them only 128 fastest ones
    3. select from those only 64 updated most recently
    4. limit those 64 to only 32 best ones
    5. do all the above while ordering the servers by download rate (speed)
    6. produce the ready-to-use mirrorlist for you

You can do that with only one command

sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

…And forget forever about mirrorlist.pacnew files :smile: .

• Just, thanks for your helpful information/advice. I ran “reflector” with your command and that has done what you said it would. If I am ignoring the “mirrorlist.pacnew” files now, are they to be deleted, or do they just accumulate in the /etc/pacman.d files? If they need to be deleted, then is there a command to accomplish that? Thanks again. Don

• @Don43085 said:

…If I am ignoring the “mirrorlist.pacnew” files now, are they to be deleted, or do they just accumulate in the /etc/pacman.d files?..

To be honest, I don’t know :smile: . I really don’t bother about them, since 2008.

Right now there’s only one mirrorlist.pacnew in the /etc/pacman.d directory. Though there were more updates for it in the past. Probably, before creating a new mirrorlist.pacnew file, the old one is deleted. I just don’t care about it.

• @just Well, that works for me. That “keeps it simple.” That is the only issue that I stumble over with respect to this rolling release. So will hope for continued good luck when they appear. Nice to have this resource for some advice. Again, thanks.

• @just Never is “nothing” when someone takes the time to help and answer questions. Was appreciated. Don

• Yeah it was “Just” so well-presented: I pounced upon it; but that is too easy: now I’m going to look into reflector and find out how this baby works.
    Thanks again for a great post.
    TT

death takes no vacations, makes no innovations nor exceptions

• @just said:

@Don43085 said:

sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

…And forget forever about mirrorlist.pacnew files :smile: .

Meant to quote the code I’m thanking you for…

death takes no vacations, makes no innovations nor exceptions

Posts 9Views 1958