• Gnome-shell starts eating up to 50% cpu


    Greetings,

    I have noticed a while ago that after some time everything starts not working smoothly, for example, moving windows does not happen instantly, when i watch something in vlc it looks choppy, and so on. Then i discovered that for no apparent reason gnome-shell uses about 50% of my cpy, never more, but enough to make my whole system choppy, i have searched and did not find anyone having the same problem, and i have no reason what is causing it. This is a fresh install of antergos, installed 2 days ago, i was dual booting it with windows, then windows decided to die, and I now went and installed antergos on my main HDD. Also i have noticed that relogging fixes this problem for some time, but when i try to log out, it says that it will happen in 60 sec and gives me an option to log out now, which when i press the button just shuts down all of my programs, and waits for 60 sec. I dont know if this is related, just putting it there.
    My specs are:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
    RAM: 8GB
    Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 200 series (catalyst)

    Please help, i have no idea what to do, but i do not want to relog every time this starts happening, and i really like using gnome on antergos…
    Thanks in advance!!!

  • Hi,

    So its gnome-shell process that keeps at 50% ? Have you deactivated all gnome extensions? Also, could be a graphics driver related problem, but to tell you the truth, it’s just guessing without more info.

    When you experience the issue, grab the logs as explained here.

    Cheers!

  • I currently have 3 extensions active (besides the ones that come with antergos) Drop down terminal, maximus 2, and Skype integration. I will attach log files as soon as the problem shows up again, it usually happens overnight. I did disable the extensions at one point, it still happened so i dont think they are the problem.

    Thankyou for your reply.

  • Greetings,

    After 2 days with no problem it popped up, i gathered all the logs and zipped them, but could not upload them because they are 8.1MB, so i have uploaded it on mega file upload : http://www.megafileupload.com/dxUi/logs.tar
    I hope you can find what the problem is, and why it is showing up

    Thanks in advance!

  • From @knightfall :

    Just by looking at your logs you can tell that “maximus two” extension really throws out lots of errors.

    It’s also a known problem reported at https://github.com/wilfm/GnomeExtensionMaximusTwo/issues/32 where some users talk about 20%, other 95%, and others 100% CPU usage,

    Apparently downgrading to version 2 solves the problem:
    https://github.com/wilfm/GnomeExtensionMaximusTwo/releases/tag/2

  • Many thanks karasu, i have decided to simply remove maximus two.
    I like how friendly you guys are, and how quick you answer, this is one of the reasons i went from manjaro to antergos, keep up the good work!

  • Greetings again,

    The problem still persists, i have removed maximus two from gnome extensions…
    I have once again made the logs.tar
    Link: http://www.megafileupload.com/lWlM/logs.tar
    Thanks in advance!

  • I guess it’s a graphics driver related issue. As far I can see, the only relevant error (apart from MotherBase generating lots of st_widget_get_theme_node errors) is AIGLX failing to load the proprietary Radeon driver:

    “(EE) AIGLX error: failed to open /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so, error[/usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]”

    You could try reinstalling the driver (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Installing_the_driver), or try adapting this solution for Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/465243/how-to-use-fglrx-proprietary-driver-for-dual-ati-radeon-hd-5670-crossfirex-in-ub (I don’t have a Radeon card so I can’t help you here.)

  • I have solved the fglrx_dri.so problem with theese 2 lines

    mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/dri

    ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so

    from: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Troubleshooting
    Hopefully that solves the problem, the system has been working since this morning after i applied this (and rebooted) with no problems,

    Thanks for your, yet again fast responce, keep up the good work!

gnome-shell12 high cpy usage1 Posts 9Views 2390
Log in to reply