• Antergos-2015.09.03 Testing

Hi guys and gals,

These are few initial impressions after playing a bit with antergos-2015.09.03-x86_64.iso , currently available in ABS Testing.

Cnchi-dev

Cnchi-dev 0.11.90-1 still doesn’t want to install for me. Tried to do it with

sudo pacman -Syy
    sudo pacman -S cnchi-dev

Pacman is about to install it, but finds a hundred of already existing files in the (live image) filesystem, so aborts the installation.

I must be missing something with it.

Cnchi

The stable cnchi 0.10.26-1 immediately hits the eyes with the beautiful Ranking mirrors popup

antergos-mirrors-ranking.png

It didn’t yield a practical results here - all installations took usual 20-25 mins. Nevertheless, it’s nice to know that Cnchi starts with searching for the best mirrors, and that there’s no need to run reflector by hand to do the same anymore.

DEs tested

Four tested DEs are Mate, Cinnamon, Gnome, Kde 4.

With the exception of TTF, LTS, SMB, all other additional software was included in the installation: AUR, BT (except Mate), FF, LO, FW…

Why BT is excluded from Mate? It’s not hard to add it to the DE.

Swaps in fstab

When a computer has two or more internal physical disks, with one swap partition on each disk, Cnchi creates /etc/fstab with only one swap partition, those from the first, sda disk.

If the user wants to use swap partitions from other disks, it must edit /etc/fstab by hand and add them.

If I recall correctly, this minor inconvenience exists forever. Never reported it earlier.

Virtual console

It is incorrectly set to gb for the English (UK) keyboard, in all 4 DEs. The correct value is uk . Gives error messages in tty on boot. This minor annoyance can be easily fixed by hand. Edit /etc/vconsole.conf and change gb with uk :

KEYMAP=uk

Mate, Cinnamon, Gnome

All three install, boot, work without a problem. Nothing to report. All three are boring perfect.

As expected, mintMenu applet in Mate (mate-mint-menu package) is smooth as silk, right after the installation. Works without a problem, no manual intervention required.

Kde 4

This one was an interesting case, finally.

In default configuration, and with cnchi 0.10.26-1, it returns the notorious error

antergos-20190903-kde-fails-2.png

That’s because the packages.xml file still contains some packages that don’t exist for Kde 4 anymore. I have no idea, if a new cnchi 0.11.xx will have another, polished packages.xml .

After several reboots and installation attempts, all current problems were hunted out.

Right now the file has 4 offending packages. There’re 6 entries in the file, corresponding to 4 packages.

To fulfill the Kde 4 installation, all 6 entries must be corrected. Change the old package name with the new one. I may not remember correctly the exact sections names.

Old name Section New name
    kdebase-dolphin kde4 dolphin
    kdesdk-dolphin-plugins kde4 dolphin-plugins
    kdeutils-ark kde4 ark
    kdeutils-ark plasma5 ark
    kdeutils-kwalletmanager kde4 kwalletmanager
    kdeutils-kwalletmanager plasma5 kwalletmanager

After editing the file

/usr/share/cnchi/data/packages.xml

according to this table, Kde 4 installation runs and finishes without a problem.

After the successful installation, Kde 4 boots, but doesn’t finish to load :cry: , stucking forever at Kde splash screen. This is a relatively old problem, that happens in last 1-2 months here. Hopefully, this is only my local problem.

• @just said:

Pacman is about to install it, but finds a hundred of already existing files in the (live image) filesystem, so aborts the installation.

I’ll check our PKGBUILD. cnchi-dev should “replace” cnchi. As a workaround, you can unninstall cnchi first and then install cnchi-dev

It didn’t yield a practical results here - all installations took usual 20-25 mins.

That’s what we get here most of the time, so these are good times.

Why BT is excluded from Mate?

I don’t really know xD Maybe it was some problem with it at the time. What package did you install to make it run? I’ll add it to our packages.xml

When a computer has two or more internal physical disks, with one swap partition on each disk, Cnchi creates /etc/fstab with only one swap partition, those from the first, sda disk.
    If the user wants to use swap partitions from other disks, it must edit /etc/fstab by hand and add them.

I don’t see this as a real problem. If a user has two swap partitions and want to use both, he surely knows how to do it… Well, I’ll think about this.

It is incorrectly set to gb for the English (UK) keyboard, in all 4 DEs.

I’ll check this one, never realized of this before

I have no idea, if a new cnchi 0.11.xx will have another, polished packages.xml

Of course! It’s already done. I’ll check all package you mention just to be sure. Thanks!

After the successful installation, Kde 4 boots, but doesn’t finish to load :cry: , stucking forever at Kde splash screen. This is a relatively old problem, that happens in last 1-2 months here. Hopefully, this is only my local problem.

I’ll check this one… just to be sure is not a setup error (we changed how kde setup installs itself recently).

Thanks for the nice report!

• @karasu said:

Why BT is excluded from Mate?

I don’t really know xD Maybe it was some problem with it at the time. What package did you install to make it run? I’ll add it to our packages.xml

Adding Bluetooth (BT) to Antergos-Mate

Briefly

1. install needed packages
    2. enable BT autostart
    3. reboot

In details

If you install BT by hand, then you should select three packages to install

blueman
    python2-pybluez    <--optional
    sbc    <--probably is already installed

Pacman will include 3 more packages, to satisfy dependencies. The full list of BT packages is

blueman
    bluez
    bluez-libs
    libical
    python2-pyblue
    sbc

To install BT by hand

$ sudo pacman -S blueman python2-pybluez sbc
    warning: sbc-1.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (6) bluez-5.33-1  bluez-libs-5.33-1  libical-1.0.1-2  blueman-2.0-4  python2-pybluez-0.20-3 sbc-1.3-1

Total Download Size:   2.60 MiB
    Total Installed Size:  8.69 MiB
    Net Upgrade Size:      8.47 MiB
    $

To autostart BT on boot, enable bluetooth service:

$ sudo systemctl enable bluetooth
    [sudo] password for just: *********
    Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.bluez.service to /usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service.
    Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants/bluetooth.service to /usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service.
    $

Finally, reboot the computer:

$ sudo shutdown -r now

Done.

After reboot, you’ll find a bunch of newly installed BT tools:

• Its icon in the Notification Area
      antergos-mate-bluetooth-icon.png

• Its menu, opened from panel
      antergos-mate-bluetooth-menu-2.png

• BT adapters
      antergos-mate-bluetooth-adapters.png

• BT devices (all nearby BT devices are OFF)
      antergos-mate-bluetooth-devices.png

• BT services
      antergos-mate-bluetooth-services.png

• BT plugins (more may be installed)
      antergos-mate-bluetooth-plugins.png

That’s it. BT is installed and works.

• Hi @just ,

I’ve added bluetooth to Mate in 0.11.96, thanks! (also fixed uk/gb issue).

Cheers!

• Following the announcement by @karasu in this thread, the same antergos-2015.09.03-x86_64.iso from ABS Testing was used to try out the newest Cnchi 0.12.1 from the staging repo.

This time only Kde 4 was used, as previously it was the only DE with installation problems. The results are excellent:

• packages.xml is fixed. It doesn’t require any manual intervention. Installation runs and finishes at the 1st attempt.

• virtuale console issue for English (UK) keyboard is solved. The keyboard is correctly set to uk . There are no more error messages in tty during boot.

• in simple words, Kde 4 installs without a hitch now

Some pictures with Cnchi 0.12.1 in action.

• ready to go
      cnchi-0.12.1-01.png

• Kde 4 will be installed
      cnchi-0.12.1-02.png

• Steam and PlayOnLinux are among the optional software now
      cnchi-0.12.1-03.png

• before starting the installation, Cnchi 0.12.1 presents the summary window (1/2)
      cnchi-0.12.1-04.png

• summary window 2/2
      cnchi-0.12.1-05.png

• and requests the final confirmation before starting the installation
      cnchi-0.12.1-06.png

• Kde 4 installation proceeds
      cnchi-0.12.1-07.png

• and happily completes without a problem
      cnchi-0.12.1-08.png

Freshly installed Kde 4 boots well, doesn’t present any error or warning message in tty, arrives to Kde splash screen… and hangs here :smile: , but that’s another story.

Cnchi 0.12.1 installs Kde4 perfectly.

• Freshly installed Kde 4 boots well, doesn’t present any error or warning message in tty, arrives to Kde splash screen… and hangs here :smile: , but that’s another story.

Geez… I forgot to check this one. Last time I checked KDE4 worked perfectly, but I’m afraid this was a month ago… I’ll check it here to see if it’s failing, too.

• @karasu And please , if it’s possible , try to make the instalation in pt-BR .
    Please …

• @Rodrigo-Virmond :

mmmm… do yo select pt-BR in the Grub menu? I’ve just tested this and works like a charm. Even Cnchi shows the option of Portuguese from Brazil selected. I’ve tested 0.12.1 and works. Please, I need more feedback to solve this if it still is not working for you, otherwise I’ll simply close this issue.
    https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/issues/404

Cheers!

• @karasu "Install package xdg-user-dirs (if you don’t have it already) and run xdg-user-dirs-update with your user (not root!).

Tell me if it helps."
    That was your tip two months ago .But only now I can install KDE4 again , and I did . If I choose pt-BR at F2 before the installation ,that it’s not possible , the problem is the same of four months ago-just to remember : "[2015-05-18 23:01:05] [slides] INFO: Atualizando o banco de dados multilib
    [2015-05-18 23:01:05] [slides] INFO: Atualizando o banco de dados antergos
    [2015-05-18 23:01:05] [slides] INFO: Obtendo lista de pacotes…
    [2015-05-18 23:01:05] [slides] INFO: Criando a lista de pacotes para baixar
    [2015-05-18 23:01:17] [metalink] ERROR: Não foi possível encontrar estes pacotes:kde-l10n-pt_BR
    [2015-05-18 23:01:17] [download] ERROR: Erro ao criar metalink para o pacote kde-l10n-pt_BR. A instalação irá parar
    [2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: ‘Não foi possível criar a lista de pacotes para download. Confira o log de saida para detalhes.’
    [2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: File “/usr/share/cnchi/cnchi/installation/process.py”, line 166, in run
    self.run_installation()

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: File “/usr/share/cnchi/cnchi/misc/misc.py”, line 175, in helper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: File “/usr/share/cnchi/cnchi/installation/process.py”, line 359, in run_installation
    self.download_packages()

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: File “/usr/share/cnchi/cnchi/installation/process.py”, line 416, in download_packages
    self.settings)

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: File “/usr/share/cnchi/cnchi/download/download.py”, line 98, in init
    raise InstallError(_(“Can’t create download package list. Check log output for details”))

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [process] ERROR: misc.misc.InstallError: ‘Não foi possível criar a lista de pacotes para download. Confira o log de saida para detalhes.’

[2015-05-18 23:01:17] [show_message] ERROR: ‘Não foi possível criar a lista de pacotes para download. Confira o log de saida para detalhes.’
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo /tmp/cnchi.log ¨
    So I made the installation in English , installed Pt- Br , changed at locale and the results :~]$ sudo locale
    [sudo] password for rodrigo:
    locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
    locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
    locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
    LANG=pt.BR.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=pt.BR.UTF-8
    LC_MONETARY="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt.BR.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=
    [[email protected] ~]$
    and still is a "mix"of languages .
    Ps. Please edit this ; I would make a link to the old post but I didn’t know how to do

• @just

https://i.imgur.com/noi3mc4.png

How the hell did I misspell gaming. Oh well another pull request to send.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn There’s one wrong word at Cnchi , in pt-BR . And I can’t find it at Transifex . And ,perhaps , the mistake was mine …
    So , the correct is “anfitrião”; but I’m not really sure that it was the best option …

• antergos-2015.09.03-x86_64.iso is not present in ABS Testing anymore. Please, don’t reference the ISO. To avoid a confusion.

• @Rodrigo-Virmond : You were right. Problem is that libalpm does not accept caps, so that package must end with pt_br and not pt_BR. It has been fixed : https://github.com/Antergos/Cnchi/commit/6008f1b396eefa64178cdea1970cd8a741ef5d41

Thanks!

• @just Oh , there’s a 2015.09.07 now .
    @karasu I was not so crazy/wrong , then :smile:
    Thanks , guys .

Posts 14Views 3071