• Wrong resolution on different consoles

Hello everybody,
    my system is Antergos 64-bit with Gnome 3 as the user interface and full system encryption.
    When I change to tty1-6 via ctrl+alt+f[1-6] I have a wrong resolution. I don’t know which one, but it should be 1920x1080 (which is my screens resolution). Under debian based system (e.g. Raspberry Pi) this works like a charm, so it must be possible in general.

My question is: How do I change the resoltion of the other terminals to fit my screens resolution (or at least increase the amount of pixels).

Thanks for reading and greetings,
    flennic

P.S.: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, thought this is related to the linux kernel.

• Hi,

You should be able to get full resolution in the framebuffer by editing your /etc/default/grub. Make sure that the GFXMODE is set correctly, and then add a GFXPAYLOAD entry like so:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x24
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1920x1080

Then remember to recreate your grub configuration (fyi: if you come from Debian, is the same as update-grub):

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Cheers!

• Hi karasu,

I did as you said and changed the two parameters from “keep” and “auto” to the above ones. Now I have a weird behaviour, which means I have the same console on every console which still shows the text from the disk-decryption with a wrong resolution. You said I am supposed to set the GFXMODE correctly. I set it to

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x24

How can I find out if that is correct?
    After that I saved the changes with

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Again thanks for the help. I feel like a dump person, but I spent to many hours and was and still am unable to fix the issue.

Edit: With

sudo hwinfo --framebuffer

I found out that the maximum supported resolution is 1280x800x24 and I set it to that and it works (also now I have different consoles, the bug with the same one on every slot is gone)! Any idea why its just 800p and not 1080p?

Greetings,
    flennic

• I’m glad you solved it.

Any idea why its just 800p and not 1080p?

I’m not sure, but I would bet is a limitation of one of these: monitor/graphics card/ framebuffer driver

Cheers!

resolution14 console4 pixel2 Posts 4Views 956