• 'startx' doesn't start the right user interface

Hello everybody,
    my system is Antergos 64-bit with Gnome 3 as the user interface and full system encryption.
    When I switch to a different console via ctrl+alt+f[1-6] I want to start another GUI session. Therefore I use ‘startx’ which works on debian based systems. Then the xserver starts, but all it gives me a three white boxes with consoles in it with which I can’t interact. I want to start a full Gnome 3 session, if possible with seeing my login-manager first (using lightdm instead of gdm due to suspend issues).

My question is: How do I gt the right behaviour?

Thanks for reading and greetings,
    flennic

• I don’t get why you would want two gui sessions, but anyway, startx reads the .xinitrc file, that you probably don’t have in your home directory. You must create it. If your user is flennic, it should be called /home/flennic/.xinitrc (notice the dot in front of the file name)

This is an example that would launch openbox, you can change it to launch gnome-session or whichever DE you want:

#!/bin/sh
    #
    if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
        for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
            [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
        done
        unset f
    fi
    export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
    exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session openbox-session

P.S. As far as I know, you can’t launch two different sessions with the same lightdm (or gdm) manager, but I could be wrong.

• Hello karasu,

thanks for that information. Sometimes I kill my Xsession or a fullscreen wine applications is doing weird stuff so I sometimes like to have another Xsession. At least now I know how that stuff works. Do you know how the first, default, xwindow session is started? The one you’re using by default? Is there any config file?

Edit: Your solution works and you are right: Only one xserver at a time! Thanks you ;-)

Greetings,
    flennic

startx1 white8 xserver5 console4 gdm32 Posts 3Views 1410