• Suggestion - Explain "Extra Truetype fonts" better in installer

A minor suggestion, in the spirit of trying to help Antergos get better than it already is:

The ‘hover’ help for the Extra Truetype Fonts item in the installer is really quite useless.
    It explains the history of where ttf came from. Nothing more. How is that useful?
    There is nothing in the hover text that explains why I may or may not want to install them.
    You are asking me a question for which I don’t have the answer.

Is it to get a more ‘font accurate’ browsing experience?
    Is it for people wanting to use docs with lots of fonts?
    Support for different language fonts?
    Is it a large amount of data, which is why it’s an option?
    I have no idea if it is any of the above.

The information in the hover should help the user decide whether to install or not.
    Currently it does not help this aim at all.

Most of the hover help for other selectable install items does help that aim, so this is an obvious stand-out.

I hope you will consider improving for a future version!

Cheers.

[Was peterg4000 but got sick of that lame user name. And no, the photo is not actually me]

• Hi,

It’s useless. It explains the history of where ttf came from.

Yep, maybe you’re right. We wanted to make sure novice users knew what TTF was.

This option just installs a lot of extra TTF fonts, so it’s important to know what TTF is.

Is it to get a more ‘font accurate’ browsing experience?

You could find a site that uses one of these fonts, so it will look exactly as the web creators wanted if you have them installed. To tell you the truth, they’re not necessary for browsing as there’s always a “default” font that your browser will use instead.

Is it for people wanting to use docs with lots of fonts?

Well, you’ll have more fonts available in LibreOffice, so this could be a yes.

Support for different language fonts?

No

Exactly.

Cheers!

• @karasu said:

This option just installs a lot of extra TTF fonts, so it’s important to know what TTF is.

I respectfully disagree. “What they are” in a historical or technical sense isn’t very useful. The word “font” is probably enough.
    Is it really important to know, these days, that Microsoft invented them?
    What a novice user REALLY needs to know is what they are good for, and why is this even a choice?

@karasu said:
    Exactly.

Well, I think that piece of information should be in the hover. My first thought was "How big could a font set be???"
    Giving a ballpark figure (10’s of Mb? 100’s of Mb?) would help the user a lot to make a decision.

…Just trying to help. I think Antergos has great promise, so I am along for the ride, for the time being.

As I said elsewhere, my day job is to understand how average users are mis-serviced by technical developer’s intentions. You might call it UX, though that usually implies a mobile/web GUI designer, and I’m not that. But I like to think I have a different perspective to most developers.

[Was peterg4000 but got sick of that lame user name. And no, the photo is not actually me]

installation185 Posts 3Views 1195