• Pantheon on Antergos please

Hi,
    I wanted to install Pantheon desktop environment (elementaryOS desktop). but according to this wiki [url:2rxohe6v]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon[/url:2rxohe6v] I could not manage it to work. I installed necessary packages:
    pantheon-session-bzr
    cerbere-bzr
    wingpanel-bzr
    slingshot-launcher-bzr
    plank-bzr

but instead of gala, which gives me lots of errors during installation , I decided to use compiz (which is installed now on my KDE)

I think I cannot do it
    I think Pantheon can be the default DE for a good distro like Antergos.

[b:2u2naw1p]Linux is not a software. Linux is a philosophy.[/b:2u2naw1p]

• Hi,
    I wanted to install Pantheon desktop environment (elementaryOS desktop). but according to this wiki [url:2rxohe6v]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon[/url:2rxohe6v] I could not manage it to work. I installed necessary packages:
    pantheon-session-bzr
    cerbere-bzr
    wingpanel-bzr
    slingshot-launcher-bzr
    plank-bzr

but instead of gala, which gives me lots of errors during installation , I decided to use compiz (which is installed now on my KDE)

I think I cannot do it
    I think Pantheon can be the default DE for a good distro like Antergos.

• From what I know of pantheon’s development, what you are trying to do is not possible. Every component of pantheon is coded to work with gala as the window manager. That’s really the only way its going to work. Sorry!

• take a look at here please:
    [url:2oaz7xey]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2124220[/url:2oaz7xey]

ok, so how to install pantheon with gala? I tried but was not successful

• Thanks for the link. It’s interesting, I’ll run some trials when I have some free time. As for you getting it installed now, if you provide me with the error that you are getting I will gladly assist.

Regards,

• Thank you.
    I was getting bunch of these errors while compiling gala:
    Gee.Functions’ already contains a definition for (…)

then I read here: [url:2ixaattb]https://bugs.launchpad.net/gala/+bug/1173052[/url:2ixaattb] to disable gee-0.8 when compiling plank!
    so I added --disable-gee-0.8 to the PKGBUILD‌ in plank, then gala successfully got compiled and I‌ was able to install gala too. but nothing change in result.

• Did you also install “pantheon-session-bzr”? That should create an option for pantheon on your login screen’s session selection menu.

Regards,

• Yes i did. but I added pantheon session in KDM manually, since it didn’t add it automatically.

• Pantheon is just a shell of GNOME and not a separate DE. Mixing GNOME and KDE packages on the same installation is not recommended or supported. For best result, install GDM and then use these commands to switch the default:

sudo systemctl disable kdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm

Then reboot. You should now be able to select pantheon

Regards,

• @“lots.0.logs”:39bup2gg said:

You should now be able to select pantheon[/quote:39bup2gg]
    I installed GDM, so I can select pantheon now. But when I login to pantheon, I see only the desktop (the same image in GDM for desktop background) without any element, even the mouse pointer. but when I move the mouse to the bottom of the screen, the dock appears, and I can open some programs, but they don’t have windows decoration and they open at the left upper corner of the screen. I think gala as a window manager is not compiled/installed correctly.

• I don’t know why I told you GDM, I apologize. While it technically should work, GDM has proven unreliable as of late. The best thing would most likely be light-dm-devel and lightdm-pantheon-greeter which are both in the AUR. After installing you can configure the settings in /etc/lightdm/ Don’t forget to use systemctl to swap defaults again. Now, if it still isnt working correctly, there is one more thing you can try which is to swap to the gala-mutter38-bzr version. Other than that, until I can do some testing I really don’t know the cause. Let me know the result. Good luck!

Regards,

• I found this today and wanted to share. An Arch TU has setup a custom repo with all the pantheon packages compiled. You just need to add it to your pacman.conf file:

[pantheon]
    # Repository containing Pantheon related packages
    SigLevel = Optional
    Server = [http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/$repo/$arch][0]">[http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/$repo/$arch][1]

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/$repo/$arch

• Ok thanks a lot. I’will test it today. now I’m using mate desktop.

• ok, I installed necessary packages (as described in arch wiki) from this repo. and some optional ones.
    I’m using xinitrc (by slim login manager). I changed xinitrc due to wiki. but there is problem.
    nothing starts but Plank (the dock).
    Then I added a command to run terminal after login, then after login, I started to find the problem:

[[email protected] ~]$ wingpanel  
    [\_LOG\_LEVEL\_INFO 12:26:57.703886] Application.vala:77: Wingpanel version: 0.2.5  
    [\_LOG\_LEVEL\_INFO 12:26:57.704139] Application.vala:79: Kernel version: 3.10.5-1-ARCH  
    [\_LOG\_LEVEL\_WARN 12:26:57.899850] IndicatorFileModel.vala:68: Unable to read indicators: No such file or directory  
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)  

[[email protected] ~]$ cerbere  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): CRITICAL \*\*: SessionManager.vala:91: Could not get value of environment variable DESKTOP\_AUTOSTART\_ID  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): CRITICAL \*\*: file /build/cerbere-bzr/src/cerbere/build/src/SessionManager.c: line 991: unexpected error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): CRITICAL \*\*: Cerbere.vala:64: Unable to register client with session manager  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): CRITICAL \*\*: file /build/cerbere-bzr/src/cerbere/build/src/Cerbere.c: line 233 (cerbere\_app\_register\_session\_client): should not be reached  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:99: Process 'wingpanel' watch exit  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:111: Process wingpanel is being terminated  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:123: ET = 0.484566 secs Min allowed time = 3.500000  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: ProcessWrapper.vala:128: PROCESS 'wingpanel' CRASHED (\#1)  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:123: ET = 0.577537 secs Min allowed time = 3.500000  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: ProcessWrapper.vala:128: PROCESS 'wingpanel' CRASHED (\#2)  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:123: ET = 0.554885 secs Min allowed time = 3.500000  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: ProcessWrapper.vala:128: PROCESS 'wingpanel' CRASHED (\#3)  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:123: ET = 0.517628 secs Min allowed time = 3.500000  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: ProcessWrapper.vala:128: PROCESS 'wingpanel' CRASHED (\#4)  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:123: ET = 0.494646 secs Min allowed time = 3.500000  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: ProcessWrapper.vala:128: PROCESS 'wingpanel' CRASHED (\#5)  
    \*\* Message: ProcessWrapper.vala:123: ET = 0.394221 secs Min allowed time = 3.500000  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: ProcessWrapper.vala:128: PROCESS 'wingpanel' CRASHED (\#6)  

\*\* (org.pantheon.cerbere:23774): WARNING \*\*: Watchdog.vala:80: 'wingpanel' exceeded the maximum number of crashes allowed (5). It won't be launched again  

[[email protected] ~]$ gala --replace  
    Window manager warning: Log level 128: Preferences.vala:328: Loading preferences from file '/home/amin/.config/plank/dock1/settings'  
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: Preferences.vala:184: '/usr/share/plank/themes/Default/dock.theme' is read-only!  
    Window manager warning: Log level 128: Preferences.vala:328: Loading preferences from file '/usr/share/plank/themes/Default/dock.theme'  
    Window manager warning: Log level 128: Settings.vala:158: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.keybindings'  
    Window manager warning: Log level 128: Settings.vala:158: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.shadows'  
    Window manager warning: Log level 128: Settings.vala:158: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.behavior'  
    Window manager warning: Log level 8: file /build/gala-bzr/src/gala/src/Plugin.vala: line 269: uncaught error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)  
    Window manager warning: Log level 128: Settings.vala:158: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.animations'  

• I found the problem in wingpanel, due to this how-to, we must install some indicators:

The best way to install indicators is to add the following repo:
    [http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/ayatana.html][0]">[http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/ayatana.html][1]
    and then install an indicator such as indicator-datetime

[url:aj6t52d8]http://ingamedeo.blogspot.de/2013/09/how-to-install-pantheon-on-archlinux.html[/url:aj6t52d8]

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/ayatana.html

• Thanks for the info. Perhaps you could add this info to the wiki

Regards,

• just wanted to say what happened:
    I couldn’t make it work, and I’m too busy these days. so I’m living with MATE unfortunately!

• Yes it may not be a feasible desktop for an Arch based system. The libraries used in Pantheon sometimes fall way behind what we are using in Arch (Thanks rolling release model lol)

Posts 19Views 3713