• Install Antergos from Ubuntu without DVD or USB?

So I’m trying to install Antergos on a laptop. To make a very long story short, I don’t know the BIOS password and neither does the previous owner. As such, I can’t change the boot order and therefore can’t boot off a USB/CD/DVD/whatever. The last time I changed OS on this thing (from Windows to Ubuntu) I had to take it apart, connect the HDD to my other laptop (yeah that was fun) and install it from there.

While I could do that again, I was wondering if I could save myself the effort and instead somehow get Ubuntu to install it for me. Is this in any way possible? Or will I have to go McGyver on it again?

• Hi,

Sometimes there’s a key (F2, F8 or F11) that allows to choose your boot device without entering the BIOS. Have you tried that?

P.S. Sorry if this was too obvious…

• Honestly when it comes to technology nothing’s too obvious, there’s almost always SOMETHING you haven’t tried.

But yes, I’ve tried mashing function keys. The BIOS is locked down tightly. I can’t even find the laptop’s CMOS battery.

• @axb993

What laptop model is it?

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• As far as I can tell it’s a ThinkPad Mini 10.

I ended up doing exactly what I did last time and it’s now running Antergos happily, but if you know a better way to change OSs on it (or better yet, how to get rid of the BIOS password) that’d be lovely.

• @axb993 said:

…if you know a better way to change OSs on it (or better yet, how to get rid of the BIOS password) that’d be lovely.

If it is not possible to access BIOS Setup Utility, than the only alternative way I’m aware of is to extract the CMOS battery and leave a computer for some minutes without it.

Not being powered on by the battery, BIOS “forgets” all user settings, password included.

• I was worried that would be the only option :/

Since I first posted I found the CMOS battery, but if I wanted to remove it I’d have to go through the keyboard.

installation205 usb64 installer34 install78 media10 Posts 7Views 1838