• Problem with GParted

I can’t run gparted without sudo privileges, and becasuse it, it works only from terminal. And with sudo priveleges the skin’s is ugly.
    Why I can’t resize my /home partition? Because it’s already mounted?
    I want to create a /swap partition, for hybrid-sleep, and I hope that the system will faster.

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED], if your problem was solved!

• I can’t run gparted without sudo privileges, and becasuse it, it works only from terminal. And with sudo priveleges the skin’s is ugly.
    Why I can’t resize my /home partition? Because it’s already mounted?
    I want to create a /swap partition, for hybrid-sleep, and I hope that the system will faster.

• If I don’t remember wrong, yes, you only can resize partitons which are unmounted. So, I think that you will have to use some Live system to make the changes.

"When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

• @“Noxbru”:3ivticxs said:

If I don’t remember wrong, yes, you only can re-size partitons which are unmounted. So, I think that you will have to use some Live system to make the changes.[/quote:3ivticxs]

That’s correct. You cannot re-size an ext partition while its in use. If you have multiple distros installed you could re-size it from one of those or use the livecd as suggested. GParted has always required root access as far as I can remember. It has to be run as root to enable it to perform the tasks its made for. There are some things you can do to make the GUI more consistent.

Add this line to your /etc/sudoers file ***BUT BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DO NOT MAKE A TYPO OR YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT OF ALL SU/SUDO COMMANDS***

Defaults env\_keep += "HOME DISPLAY XAUTHORITY"

Regards,

• I can’t edit /etc/sudoers with sudo visudo.
    The visudo always crashes.

• I know it is taboo, but just use nano to edit the sudoers file. That’s what I use as I am allergic to vi

Posts 6Views 815