• how to solve shmget failed: error 28 (No space left on device)

when i login everythings works fine.but after some time i cannot run some gui.such as smplayer.when i ran it in terminal i got this error:

Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 28 (No space left on device)

after search in google i found that, i should edit/etc/sysctl.conf or /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf but none of them exist.any idea?

• Never seen this error before. But seems like it means what it says. On startup Linux has no temporary files. As Linux works, the number and the size of various temporary and log files increment. They are all deleted on logout.

That is why there’s a gold rule of thumb. To breath freely and feel itself in good shape, Linux needs 25% of free disk space on startup.

It needs the free space to keep constantly growing and shrinking temp, log, var files.

For example, if the root partition is 20 G in size, it is safe to occupy up to 15 G of disk space. If fixed files occupy more than 15 G, then sooner or later Linux will start to suffocate. Generating problems and returning errors.

So, the questions are:

1. How large is your root partition (in G)?
    2. How many DEs are installed in it (better if only one)?
    3. How much space of it (in G) is occupied by fixed files?
    4. How large is the swap partition (if exists)?

In the default, standard configuration Antergos

1. has no /etc/sysctl.conf file
    2. the /etc/sysctl.d folder is empty

That is normal.

The user may create any number of “system control configuration” *.conf files he wants in the /etc/sysctl.d directory. A discussion of what they may contain, how they are named, in what sequence are executed would go far beyond the topic.

Only one practical example.

If you have 4+ G of RAM, then you may reduce the use of swap partition practically down to the 0, at a cost of more RAM used by programs. To do so, in the /etc/sysctl.d directory create a file named, for example, 90-swappy.conf , with the following content:

#--just added
    #--90-swappy.conf
    #--reduces swap usage
    #--by increasing those
    #--of RAM
    vm.swappiness=10
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
    #--

I always add this file to all freshly installed Antergos-es :laughing: . It is almost harmless. In a worst and VERY rare scenery, it will simply slow down the system up to make it unusable. A reboot cures the situation, without any consequences.

If you believe that the presence of some *.conf file in the /etc/sysctl.d might help to solve the problem, try to add this one.

• How large is your root partition (in G)? 30GB
    How many DEs are installed in it (better if only one)? 1-XFCE
    How much space of it (in G) is occupied by fixed files? 10GB
    How large is the swap partition (if exists)?8GB
    And My Ram is Also 8GB.
    and what about these values:kernel.shmmax, kernel.shmall and how to calculate the optimum?

• All your values look perfect for me. The reason for the problem probably lies elsewhere. Haven’t had to deal with SHMMAX and SHMALL. Can’t help you further.

sysctl.conf1 Posts 4Views 4216