• [Solved] What did I miss when installing Plasma 5? (Network Manager)

I did an install of antergos-base, then added Plasma5 packages on top of that, rather than taking the route of installing Antergos-KDE, then replacing KDE4 with KDE5 Plasma5.

As a result there have been a couple of things I realized later I missed along the way, which is fine, but I can’t figure out why I can’t get a network manager applet in my system tray.

plasma-nm is installed as noted here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Plasma_5

I can’t find anything to enable or start this however.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Currently I just do:

netctl start wireless-wpa

After every reboot. And that’s OK I guess. But a bit of a pain if I take my laptop elsewhere.

• @noobforever said:

…I can’t find anything to enable or start this however.

Currently I just do:

netctl start wireless-wpa

Good question!

Personally, I’m trying to avoid Plasma for as long as it will be possible. Didn’t try to install it by hand yet.

To be able to use NetworkManager though, independently from any DE, Plasma included, it’s not enough just install its package. It is necessary to enable NetworkManager.service by hand, once the package is installed. Otherwise, NetworkManager will not even start upon DE startup.

To enable NetworkManager.service:

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager

Then reboot.

Did you do that?

• After reboot, check the NetworkManager.service status

$ systemctl status NetworkManager
    ● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-08-23 18:18:29 MSK; 1h 48min ago
     Main PID: 367 (NetworkManager)
       CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
               ├─367 /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
               └─963 /usr/bin/dhclient -d -q -sf /usr/lib/networkmanager/nm-dhcp-helper -pf /var/run/dhclient-wwp0s20u7u3u4i1.pid -lf /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhcl...

Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  (wwp0s20u7u3u4i1): DHCPv4 state changed unknown -> bound
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  (ttyUSB2): device state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none') [70 80 0]
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  (ttyUSB2): device state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none') [80 90 0]
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  (ttyUSB2): device state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none') [90 100 0]
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_LOCAL
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net dhclient[963]: bound to 10.141.32.22 -- renewal in 225698 seconds.
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_GLOBAL
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  Policy set 'MtsBlack' (wwp0s20u7u3u4i1) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
    Aug 23 18:20:39 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  Writing DNS information to /usr/bin/resolvconf
    Aug 23 18:20:40 alexatm.net NetworkManager[367]: <info>  (ttyUSB2): Activation: successful, device activated.
    $ 

It must be

• loaded
    • enabled
    • active
    • running

And its icon should be present in the system tray now.

• @noobforever

You chose the barebone install instead of the plasma group. Group includes everything for a functional system (Including the networkmanager), overwrite if something comes up.

sudo pacman -S plasma

https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/plasma/

@just

I’m trying to avoid Plasma for as long as it will be possible.

Come join the dark side :D

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn No - I did install the plasma group, and have doublechecked that just now. However, I did not do any of what @just suggested, so will give that a shot later tonight.

Thanks very much!!

• Thanks @just that was it. I somehow thought that the applet was indpendent of the background service/cli interface, and didn’t even think of needing to enable anything. Super simple, problem fixed.

@Wyn said:

@just

I’m trying to avoid Plasma for as long as it will be possible.

Come join the dark side :D

Seriously - despite my couple of little oversights, it was pretty painless. And, while I did have some issues with Plasma 5.1 and 5.2, whatever bugs are present in 5.4 are small enough that I don’t notice them, or I’m lucky and they don’t affect me.

I don’t have working fast user switching or suspend/resume, but I haven’t had either of those on this hardware under any DE on any distro in a couple of years - I blame the nvidia driver. :smiley:

• @noobforever

:+1:

I don’t recommend using the open sourced nvidia driver (Nouveau), the proprietary driver is much better.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn said:

@noobforever

:+1:

I don’t recommend using the open sourced nvidia driver (Nouveau), the proprietary driver is much better.

I am using the proprietary - and I had pretty consistent suspend resume for years on this hardware (this laptop is from 2011) but not in awhile. I don’t use user switching often, so I’m not sure when it went bad, but no luck with it in recent memory. (Though KDE/Plasma/sddm fails more gracefully than Gnome/GDM when I try it.)

plasma510 networkmanager12 Posts 8Views 4206