• Z97I-PLUS - will it work?

Good morning,

I’m in the process of buying a new PC, for the first time I’ll assemble it myself and I want it to be powered by Antergos.

After a lot of research, I’ve decided to go for an intel i5 5675c attached to an Asus Z97I-PLUS motherboard. I’ve chosen this mobo since it comes with Wifi AC, Bluetooth 4.0, DisplayPort and M.2. I’ll add 8 GB RAM, a M.2 ssd a couple of HD in raid, etc.

I plan to use this PC as home/office PC, usual stuff plus photo and video editing (not professional, just as hobby) and maybe gaming (I want to check out Steam), I’m switching from Mac that I’ve used in the last decade (you can understan I’m a bit confused in the great world of computer hardware…)

So my simple question is: will the Z97I-plus be fully compatible with Arch latest kernel? I’m talking in particular about WiFI module, Bluetooth and integrated graphic.

Do you see any possible issue or can you suggest a better configuration?

Thank you-

• @jeby said:

Asus Z97I-PLUS

Hi,

There doesn’t seem to be any reports (negative or positive) about that motherboard on linux (in general, not just Arch). I have no solid data to provide but I can tell you that Asus does not have a good track record with Linux Support. Their motherboards in particular tend to have problems booting the Arch kernel. Of course, you should take that with a grain of salt as I havent tried them myself so it’s just hearsay. All I can tell you is that if it was me shopping for a motherboard, I wouldn’t go with an Asus board. Sorry that’s not much help :grimacing:

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs said:

@jeby said:

Asus Z97I-PLUS

Hi,

There doesn’t seem to be any reports (negative or positive) about that motherboard on linux (in general, not just Arch). I have no solid data to provide but I can tell you that Asus does not have a good track record with Linux Support. Their motherboards in particular tend to have problems booting the Arch kernel. Of course, you should take that with a grain of salt as I havent tried them myself so it’s just hearsay. All I can tell you is that if it was me shopping for a motherboard, I wouldn’t go with an Asus board. Sorry that’s not much help :grimacing:

Cheers!

Thank you, your feedback is much appreciated. I’m totally noob in this matter, it’s since 2005 that I’m on laptops (I began with an Acer Aspire with Mandrake Linux :) )

Can you please suggest a similar motherboard that should be more Arch compliant?

Thanks!

• @jeby that looks like a good setup. ive used many ASUS boards over the years and have all worked well with linux.

should work fine :+1:

• @lots.0.logs i never heard about that. i had always wondered which MB worked best with linux but ive used several asus boards with no problems with linux.

im on a MSI board now and it seems to be working fine.

• you can search asus z97i-plus linux in google. give you some ideas if there are any problems. i think it should be fine though.

• Thanks, I haven’t find much googling the Asus card, but I find positive review on amazon about the MSI H97i AC that I’ve selected as an alternative… it misses the M.2 connector though. It comes with 2 antennas and Intel 7260 wireless AC card dual channel AC + Bluetooth that I think it’s supported in Linux, if I’ve understood well.

I’ll go for the H97 instead of Z97 and shave 40 € :)

Thanks!

• Another question: what if I want to add a mid-end discrete graphic card in the mix? I’m thinking about GeForce GTX 750Ti or something like that… I know in past there was a lot of work to do to make the hybrid graphic works, is still so complicated? Or just a matter of install the right drivers/bumblebee and cross fingers?

• @jeby i cant speak for anything but my AMD hybrid graphics. the drivers installed fine and it worked pretty good. now you are putting together a pretty nice PC. depending on what you are doing a Nvidia card might be the way to go.

IMO Nvidia drivers on linux are better then AMD right now. i recently disabled my integrated my AMD video and bought a Nvidia 720GT it was cheap like $40 from newegg. im very happy with it.

if you are not on a tight budget i would buy a nvidia card. it all depends what you do though. i dont game so i dont need a lot everyone has different needs.

• I have this hybrid card in my ultrabox a year ago and I had no problem with Linux, and I’ve installed many distros, here’s my card:
    [[email protected] ~]$ inxi -G
    Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
    Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M]
    Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
    Resolution: [email protected]
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
    GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.6.4

Autodidacta en la VIDA …y en Linux, también.

compatibility3 motherboard2 Posts 10Views 2095