• Antergos makes top 10 best desktops

@Yash said:

@megaman I know you asked this to Arup, but I’m gonna speak my views anyway.

I’d use Zorin over Mint anyday :p
    and Ubuntu over Zorin or any other linux distro. (When suggesting to some newbie)

I have used tons of distros, and I still feel like if Ubuntu wasn’t the first distro that I had tried, I wouldn’t be here today in linux world… :)

i feel the same way about ubuntu. it brought me to the linux world so i would never hate on it even if i do dislike that unity desktop :) Ubuntu brought lots of people to linux by understanding it needed to make it more user friendly. there is nothing wrong with that.

i tried out zorin also and thought it was very nice 👍 i just like the Mint desktops better. i think for a newbie either one would be fine.

• @peterg4000 said:

!
    Arch release bugs are always going to bite you guys in the arse, no?
    I presume that is why Manjaro curated their own repos.
    !

i used Manjaro for a quite a while. my system crashed several times doing regular updates. using Antergos ive never had once crashed in over a year of using it. the Arch is too unstable is a myth. it even used to scare me and thats why i chose Manjaro 1st but i found out its not true at all.

Arch is solid 👍

• @karasu i agree you gotta include some basic apps with the OS. those are basic apps you see in a lot of distros also. not even close to bloatware on a antergos install. very balanced i think.

also off topic but where is @Faidoc ? i remember seeing a interview on the Linux Action Show and was one of the reasons i tried out antergos. that was him on the show i assume?

• @megaman as I feel Antergos will do the same for cutting edge world of Arch to many who would fear to tread.

• @megaman said:

i used Manjaro for a quite a while. my system crashed several times doing regular updates. …
    Arch is solid 👍

It seems we have been on a similar path @megaman. I tried Manjaro for the same reason, and had issues too, so moved on.
    And I hope I have the same positive experience as you over the next 12 months!
    Unfortunately right now my MintMenu under Mate is not working, but that is the topic of another thread…

@megaman said:

i agree you gotta include some basic apps with the OS. those are basic apps you see in a lot of distros also.

Hmmm. You seem to be saying “Let’s do it because everyone else does it”. I disagree. The perfect distro for any user has exactly what they want/need, and no more. NO MAJOR DISTRO RELIABLY ACHIEVES THAT, because they all make assumptions about what you want.

Perhaps one of the reasons Linux is so damn fragmented is actually that most distributions give you little choice in what you get in that distro. It’s actually COUNTER to the ‘spoiled for choice’ argument the Linux community like to stand behind! “Sure, you have choice - As long as you want a black Humvee or a pink VW”. “But I want a black VW?”. “Sorry, that’s not in the distro. But you can take it to the paint shop after we deliver it”.
    Choice does not equal flexibility. There is too much choice with Linux distros. What is lacking is flexibility that is easy to access and wide ranging.

I think Antergos (if not some other distro) has an opportunity to be “The most beautiful, minimal install”, with “only what you need” and “easy to get exactly what you want”.
    Basically: All the reasons why Arch is in the top 10. Plus a pretty GUI and app installer. (And I don’t mean Pamac!)

But in my eyes at least, it will never be that with things like Pidgin and Transmission in my face after I install.

I have also noted that Antergos is a bit ‘conflicted’ in how it controls what apps gets installed:

• Some software can be selected in the installer,
    • Some is installed without warning (Pidgin, Transmission)
    • Some have an ‘easy’ way to install later (LibreOffice)

I would say again that there is an opportunity to stand out from the crowd by taking a consistent approach that is different to other distros - Leave the selection of exactly what main apps are installed up to the user. Either at install time, or post install. Give them choices that are easy to make. And I mean in a way that is much nicer than Pamac (Where a simple keyword search will often bring up a bewildering list of variant support package names). You can’t list every package nicely, but the top 20-30 (or so) main packages you commonly see in distros. Leave the rest to ugly pamac.

For example I am a Chromium user, but I know I am in the minority on Linux. Having to uninstall Firefox from so many distros has got really annoying. (Thankfully you didn’t force-install Firefox and LibreOffice or I would be out of here already)
    I would be super-happy to see both Firefox and Chromium on your selection screen…

Antergos COULD offer way more choice than other major distros because you have the full Arch repo at your service (and Over The Air), but still manage a light-weight installer, AND a smaller install size because the user would have installed exactly what they want, no more, no less.
    Now that would be unique, and a pretty easy concept to sell far and wide.

The only trick is making it bog easy to install common software. Easier than Pamac. It’s not rocket science. Someone has already done it for LibreOffice, no?

As a final comment - Doing something because the other distros do it, or because of history, are by definition the worst two reasons to do something if you are trying to break new ground or stand out.

Rant over.
    Feel free to tell me I am crazy, but I am still not sure I have found the distro I have been looking for.

P.S. If you were wondering, I kind of work in the space of “How does ‘Joe Public’ see this wonderful system we put together.”
    I design and build Speech Recognition IVR (telephone) services for my day job.
    I like to think I am fairly good at taking the “User’s eye view” of things. I have to do it all the time.
    Coming from a software developer background, I know how many developers/engineers struggle with that. It’s rare that a developer is really in tune with what their users want, particularly if they have been embedded inside the project for a while. Not that I’m an expert in this specific area. Just giving you my perspective!

• @peterg4000 good rant ;)

i would just say you cant make everyone happy with app selection. either someone doesnt like the app selection or there isnt enough or in your case too much. add and removing apps takes a few minutes and on a rolling distro that could last for years i dont think its a big deal.

• I would be super-happy to see both Firefox and Chromium on your selection screen…

But there is. By default it installs Chromium but if you choose Firefox no chromium will be installed (there’s a bug in 0.10 that installs chromium-pepper no matter what, but that has been fixed).

also off topic but where is @Faidoc ? i remember seeing a interview on the Linux Action Show and was one of the reasons i tried out antergos. that was him on the show i assume?

The situation in Faidoc’s country (Spain) is awful. It’s very difficult to find a well paid job (in fact, it’s very difficult to find a job, period). Therefore, he flew away to South America to search for new opportunities. This meant searching a new place to live, a new job… lots of changes. So he has been fully occupied since. I hope when he gets everything sorted out he will be more active here.

Cheers!

• @megaman said:

i would just say you cant make everyone happy with app selection.

I think you can go much closer than most people realise. Most distros just make no effort. You get what you get.
    I reckon with 20-30 main package variations you’d give 95% of people exactly what they want as a desktop starting point. Most other distros probably hit only 25% of people at best because there is minimal-to-zero flexibility at the point of install.
    That could be a massive differentiator for the likes of Antergos.
    You’re already leading the pack with a choice of 6 desktops. Why not capitalise on that angle - Choice/flexibility in the hands of the user for ALL major package choices.

But relying on pamac for adds/removes is a weak point for less technical users. It ain’t pretty, or overly easy to use for a non-technical type.
    I guess what I am suggesting here is a prettier wrapper for the top 20-30 main packages. A lot like the installer screen package selection, but one step beyond.

@karasu said:

By default it [Antergos] installs Chromium but if you choose Firefox no chromium will be installed…

Ahh. See, I didn’t realise that. Does it mention that in the installer hover/help text for Firefox?
    It should!

Posts 28Views 13870
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.