• two hard drive one install?

Hi antergos noob here,
    I have one 120 sdd and a 1Tb HD. Who do i get antergos running on the ssd with all my big files on the hard drive? i know its a dumb question but even pointing me in the right direction would be great. Thanks.

• By ‘big files’ do you mean system files or stuff you download?

~Photon

• Simple, move all your files to the 1TB disk and keep them there, after that start the installer Antergos, on the partitioning select your SDD drive to install, install Antergos in SDD and ready.

Set in BIOS / UEFI boot your PC be realized only in the SDD.

If you are afraid of losing your data, turn off the power of the hard disk before starting the installation of Linux and after that call back. Turn off the computer before touching anything inside it.

After being installed, the Antergos recognize any disc you insert into your PC.

• @Photon anything that isnt need on the ssd.
    @jetpilot will programs install on the 1 tb disk.

• @onetearfalls said:

…Who do i get antergos running on the ssd with all my big files on the hard drive?..

Before installing Antergos, partition both disk with any (external) tool of your choice. For most Linuxes a 20 G partition is more than enough, to hold its system files only.

Make as many 20 G partitions as you like. For other linuxes.

Besides these small 20 G ones, create one big partition, to hold ALL user data files. In your case, create it on HDD. This same big partition may be easily shared by any Linux you’ll install. All Linuxes will have the access to the same user files.

Installing Antergos, select the Advanced installation method. You’ll be presented with the list of all partitions you’ve created on both disks, SSD and HDD.

Select one 20 G partition on SSD for / (root) .

The separate /home is not necessary - you’ll keep all user data in one huge partition on HDD. Select it and assign it any mount point you like, say, /MyData.

You can select any number of partitions, from any disk, assign to them either standard mount points (from the dropdown combobox list) or any mount point you like.

Done.

Continue to installing Antergos. At the end, Antergos will keep all its system files (and a few relatively small user files in /home) on SSD. You’ll see the MyData folder in the file manager. Remember, it points to a partition on HDD. Place all user files in MyData. That’s all.

If you use the same approach installing other Linuxes - adding the partition that corresponds to /MyData on HDD - them all of them will access the same files. Moreover, if you use the same mount point name - /MyData - then in all file managers and in all Linuxes you’ll see the same HDD partition with the same MyData folder name.

It’s really handy.

• @just Do i have to set up a swap partition too?

• Partitioning two disks, externally from Antergos, it’s useful to create one partition of “linuxswap” type. It may be relatively small or bery big. Linuxes on modern computers, with 4G+ RAM, usually never use it. And in any case, it’s always possible to fine tune the swap’s usage with swappiness= parameter in /etc/sysctl.d or /etc/sysctl.conf. But that’s for another topic.

In Cnchi, it should not be necessary to explicitely select it as swap. Cnchi should automagically find any existing “linuxswap” partition and use it as swap.

Though personally I do it nevertheless. Because some of computers here have two disks (as yours), and some of them have more than one swap partitions - one per disk.

To do it by hand in Cnchi, simply select the "linuxswap’ partition, and click the Edit button. Do not change or type anything in the little popup window that opens. You’ll see that Cnchi has correctly identified partition’s type, and intends to use it as swap.

Simply click the Apply button, to allow it to do so.

Edit

With some experience, you’ll find that it’s absolutely not necessary to have any “linuxswap” on disk. If you’ll ever need a swap space, it may be added dynamically, by creating, enlarging, reducing, deleting swap files as you need or wish.

• Thanks just this was a big help, and thanks to everyone else who helped out too.

• Yout’re welcome.

installation205 noob4 two harddrives1 Posts 9Views 2122