• Three Monitor Set up

Currently need help setting up three monitors, i don’t know how to do it right. Running AMD r9 270x on open source drivers.

• Which desktop are you using?

• Install arandr and use it to configure your screen layout. Let me know if you have trouble with it.

• @lots.0.logs I’ve tried using it before, every just gets fucked, like my mouse is on multiple monitors at once and games open up on a different monitor instead of center one its terrrible.

• I know many users will disagree with what I am about to say, so be sure to keep in mind that this is my own personal preference/opinion on the matter. Each desktop has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. Not all desktops will be good options for all situations. (obviously!) Openbox is awesome for low end, older, and/or less powerful hardware. Of course it can be used for other purposes and it will function just fine. Though on more powerful hardware, in my experience, the speed/performance gain you get from using Openbox is barely noticeable and certainly not worth the extra effort required to use Openbox as a daily driver. That’s why I would recommend using a fully featured desktop. If you use any of the other desktop options that we support you should not have any problem with a multi-screen setup using three displays (that’s the same display setup I use actually) .

Cheers!

• Forget desktop. Use a single line of command and make your way through it. Is not hard, I’m using i3 as my desktop manager, and I do this everytime I need to redirect output to my TV.

Use the comman “xrandr”, and tell me what the output is. I will try to guide you step-by-step. Or read i3 docs if you wish to try it yourself.
    In my opinion, using the config tools that come with every desktop you can’t do much.
    Cheers.

• @lots.0.logs i just dont understand what would stop Openbox from being a good daily driver?

open apps check!
    close apps check!
    taskbar check!

from the base install that antergos has for it. not sure what effort there is? there is a taskbar and plank for shortcuts. access the apps and folders anywhere with right click or hotkeys.

ive never setup multiple monitors on my PC before. it seems it takes a little more tinkering with openbox ill have to try it out sometime.

noticeable speeds seems different for everyones desktop experience. for me openbox has always felt faster when opening apps and moving around the desktop. i used the antergos Gnome desktop for a while before going back to openbox and i felt i noticed speed differences. gnome was snappy but openbox is very snappy :yum:

but we just get back to everyone has their own preference and likes out of a desktop. i guess thats why there 100s of different choices. for me though i dont see much effort you need to use openbox over any of desktop.

• @Rolando-E.-Rolon

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
    DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DisplayPort-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DVI-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 531mm x 299mm
       1920x1080     60.00*+
       1680x1050     59.88  
       1600x900      59.98  
       1280x1024     75.02    60.02  
       1280x800      59.91  
       1152x864      75.00  
       1280x720      59.97  
       1024x768      75.08    60.00  
       832x624       74.55  
       800x600       75.00    60.32  
       640x480       75.00    60.00  
       720x400       70.08

• @jray80066 So weird. Your monitors were connected by the time you used that command? They should report as “connected”.

Anyways, once you do that, you must identify each, so you can assign them a different portion of the screen.
    Decide which will be left, which will be at center, and which is going to be up. (Or any distribution you need). Then I’ll give you the command for each screen.
    Also, define the screen resolution you will be using for every monitor. You can apply different resolution to each screen.

• @megaman Have you tried i3 Desktop?

You don’t know what “snappy” truly means if you haven’t. :relieved:

• @Rolando-E.-Rolon How would I go doing that?

• @jray80066 First, to identify the middle screen, disconnect all the others, and run the xrandr command. Only one device should come up as connectec. That will be you center screen.
    Then connect the left monitor. Run the command again, and see what name comes up as connected. That will be your left monitor.
    Then finally, do the same with the right, and write down their names.

This is what I meant when told you about identifying each screen.

• @Rolando-E.-Rolon i am going to try it sometime. im very interested.

• @megaman Is quite easy once you understand the concept behind it. Also, is the fastest to load, maybe faster than Enlightenmen 17.
    What I really like about it, is that it uses the whole screen all the time unless defined otherwise. Pretty cool for browsing and writting documents, or graphics editing.

• @Rolando-E.-Rolon Still have no idea what to do, its like telling me "to fix the rocket engine"
    i know what i need to do to accomplish that

• @jray80066 said:

@Rolando-E.-Rolon Still have no idea what to do, its like telling me "to fix the rocket engine"

My advice is to use a fully-featured desktop environment for a few months and then consider giving Openbox another try. Openbox is not the right choice for new linux users.

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs said:

@jray80066 said:

@Rolando-E.-Rolon Still have no idea what to do, its like telling me "to fix the rocket engine"

My advice is to use a fully-featured desktop environment for a few months and then consider giving Openbox another try. Openbox is not the right choice for new linux users.

Cheers!

He’s right. I had quite a lot of trouble with Openbox, is very complex.

Anyways, since I don’t have more than one monitor, I can’t tell anything about fully featured desktops (sure you can use three monitors, but that’s pretty much it), using the command line, I have much more control over each display and it’s content.
    As I told you, I can guide you to set up your screens, but it has to be done in a chat, checking this thread once a week makes it easy to get lost in the process.

• @Rolando-E.-Rolon what trouble did you have with openbox?

i would agree using a regular DE would be easier to setup multiple monitors

• @megaman The menu, I believe this is a very common issue, I found so many people complaining about it, The menu won’t update after every software install, and there’s an option to rebuild the main menu’s config file, but it nevers shows all the software you have. So I installed Lxpanel, and was working really nice, since it creates it’s own menu cfg. Still There was something I didn’t like about it. It was very snappy, and I loved that, but still, something was simply not satisfaying me.
    Maybe it is the fact that it’s just so diferent to anything else, and when you need to tweak the settings is not as intuitive as the other DE’s.
    Neither is i3, but I feel ok with it. :D

Posts 32Views 6707