• System hangs at ROOT\_ANTERGOS: recovering journal

I recently performed a system update through PacmanXG. My system appears to halt after booting Antergos from the grub bootloader.

ROOT\_ANTERGOS: recovering journal  
    ROOT\_ANTERGOS: clean, X/Y files, X/Y blocks

Sometimes, the prompt will provide additional information:

❗Sorry, this attachment is unavailable.

I’ve tried repairing the file system using [i:128vp7n0]fsck[/i:128vp7n0] in a live CD. Also, I can still access the files on my SSD using the live CD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I recently performed a system update through PacmanXG. My system appears to halt after booting Antergos from the grub bootloader.

ROOT\_ANTERGOS: recovering journal  
    ROOT\_ANTERGOS: clean, X/Y files, X/Y blocks

Sometimes, the prompt will provide additional information:

I’ve tried repairing the file system using [i:128vp7n0]fsck[/i:128vp7n0] in a live CD. Also, I can still access the files on my SSD using the live CD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I apologize for the long response time. I know how frustrating boot issues are. I’m sure we can figure it out though!
    Add “systemd.unit=multi-user.target” to the end of that line after “quiet” like this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=a-lot-of-numbers-and-letters-here rw quiet systemd.unit=multi-user.target

Now continue boot, I believe its F10, it will list the keys at the bottom of the screen though. If successful you will be at a terminal login prompt. After logging in, switch to root and run “pacman -Syyu”. Take note of any error messages. After that completes run “mkinitcpio -p linux”. Also for good measure let’s update grub’s menu with “grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg”. Finally reboot with “systemctl reboot”.

Hopefully you are looking at your desktop now, if not please post details.

Regards,

• Thanks for the help, Dustin. Yesterday, I unsuccessfully attempted to run “pacman -Syyu” while chrooted. I was successfully able to enter the terminal commands you provided. However, the problem still persists. I really like the way I have Antergos configured, so I’m definitely willing to be patient in attempting to rescue my installation.

Though the image generation was successful, I received the following warnings while running “mkinitcpio -p linux”:

WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx  
    WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa  
    WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: smsmdtv

I don’t know if the following will help, but I’ve provided my grub and fstab configurations:

load\_video  
    set gfxpayload=keep  
    insmod gzio  
    insmod part\_msdos  
    insmod ext2  
    set root='hd0,msdos1'  
    if [ x$feature\_platform\_search\_hint = xy ]; then  
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1 e217ed92-305b-40c0-8bed-40a497867779  
    else  
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root e217ed92-305b-40c0-8bed-40a497867779  
    fi  
    echo 'Loading Linux ...'  
    linux /vmlinuz-linux-lts root=UUID=e79af4dc-273f-4218-a652-9ea82ab42432 rw quiet  
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'  
    initrd /initramfs-linux-lts.img

\# <file system\> <mount point\> <type\> <options\> <dump\> <pass\>  
    \#  
    \#UUID=e217ed92-305b-40c0-8bed-40a497867779 /boot ext2 defaults 0 0  
    UUID=e79af4dc-273f-4218-a652-9ea82ab42432 / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1  
    LABEL=Plex /mnt/Plex auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0  
    LABEL=Storage /mnt/Storage auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0  
    UUID=e217ed92-305b-40c0-8bed-40a497867779 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2

Again, thanks for all your help so far.

• You are making me think really hard on this one lol

Once you log in, grab the journals from the current, last, and 2nd to last boots like this:

sudo journalctl -b \> ~journal.current  
    sudo journalctl -b -1 \> ~journal.last  
    sudo journalctl -b -2 \> ~journal.2last

I believe you have access to the partition from a livecd or other OS, correct? The easiest way to grab the journal files will probably be to mount your /home from outside the installation. I will check in later this evening to see if you were able to post them.

Best Regards,

• Thanks for responding. I’ve put the journal files in an archive for you to look at. I wasn’t able to switch VTs, but had to boot with the command you provided previously.

I’m still trying my luck browsing the Arch user forums for related issues.

• Ok, not as useful as I had hoped but that’s ok. Are you using a usb modem or usb ethernet device? If you are try to boot without it plugged in. There is an error related to something that is connected via usb but I am not sure what. Better yet, could you post the output of “lsusb” command? Another message points to xorg related issues. If you could grab any xorg log files from /var/log/ (Xorg.0.log, Xorg.1.log, etc) that would be helpful.

Oh, and as always before anything else perform a system update “pacman -Syyu”.(By booting into multi-user.target) With a rolling release like Arch, you never know when these things might just fix themselves (so to speak)

Posts 7Views 2370
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.