• It's been a very long time since I felt so happy woo-hoo.

I think Antergos is simply amazing. It may be a bit slow compared to Ubuntu - I’m running MATE for both. The partitioning was a bit troublesome for the installation the 4 primary partions problem + I placed the swap partition before the ext4. Minor detail I guess.

Also I would have liked to have the option of installing the multi repo during installation. apart from that it feels great. Just donate 23$ for the Antergos team. Thanks a bunch.

• debian-jessie (currebt stable) takes a whole life to start up, 40 seconds:

[email protected] ~ $ systemd-analyze
      Startup finished in 14.639s (kernel) + 26.201s (userspace) = 38.632s
      [email protected] ~ $ 

Ubuntu steals packages from Debian-Sid. Seems improbable that Debian distros will ever get close to Arch startup times.

• Thanks for the praise words. I’m sad to say this, but we’re always in need of money to maintain our servers, domain, … so thanks a lot for your donation.

Cheers!

• @just Maybe I have some malfunctioned Hardware configuration but Ubuntu MATE appears faster altogether. also EVO/Lution MATE is substantially faster. I know it’s vanilla but still anyways thrilled to be here. my life span is too short to figure out how to set up wget package-query and all the other stuff that doesn’t come out of the box with Arch.

• These are my numbers with Enlightenment 0.19 as DE

karasu [~]$ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 1.318s (kernel) + 926ms (userspace) = 2.244s

Pretty amazing, eh?

• also EVO/Lution MATE is substantially faster. I know it’s vanilla

Yep, you can’t compare because it will depend on which programs do you autostart… and vanilla will start as less as possible.

• @Jakob-Greve said:

…but Ubuntu MATE appears faster altogether.

Very interesting. Ubuntu MATE seems to be the best project in the family. Could you be so kind to provide its systemd-analyze output? Not running Ubuntu for ages.

…also EVO/Lution MATE is substantially faster. I know it’s vanilla but still…

For me, Jeff Story and Carl Duff creation, Evo/Lution, holds the second place. After the plain native Arch itself. Strictly followed by Bridge from Dalton Miller. Antergos proves to be very complete, universal, the most user-friendly among Arch installers. Just a thought.

• @karasu said:

These are my numbers with Enlightenment 0.19 as DE

karasu [~]$ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 1.318s (kernel) + 926ms (userspace) = 2.244s

Pretty amazing, eh?

That’s incredible. The best results here were with vanilla Arch-Cinnamon running on SSD. It was starting in 4 secs. It seemed a miracle a year ago.

• “[[email protected] ~]$ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 919ms (kernel) + 2.065s (userspace) = 2.985s”

• @karasu , @Arup-Roy-Chowdhury Guys, your setups rock. Never seen a computer to boot up in 3 seconds. Truly impressive.

• @just thanks, its i7 4790 on MSI PC Mate Z97 with ssd and 16gb RAM. the SSD makes a huge diff.

• @just said:

For

Sorry I only run one system at a time, syncs the stuff with spideroak. but Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS is deffinately the fastest of the family. They’ve only been aproved reacently, so maybe they do something their own way.

Also for Antergos MATE DE it helps using propritary graphics drivers. this is not always the case anymore…

• Found out I had an issue with failing to load safe backlight brightness on startup masking the services boots my system substantially faster… I have no SSD drive so boot-time is an importent issue to me.

• @Arup-Roy-Chowdhury said:

…the SSD makes a huge diff.

Agree.

• Yep, I also have a SSD. Best buy ever.

Cheers!

• Linux can still boot a gui system up on tradition hardware in 10-15. Windows 10 is a whole other matter. luckily I don’t go there unless I’m forced to or feel the need to play an RPG inspired by the classics. luckily it doesn’t happen that often. the NVMV pci-e cards are nice but expensive though

Posts 16Views 2179