• Disable graphic card?

Hi everyone,
    I’m new in antergos linux, and I using laptop. I have question, how I can disable graphic (nvidia M GT630) and using integrate graphics? Intel HD 4000.
    When I try nvidia-settings a get this error

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run nvidia-xconfig as root), and restart the X server.
    So what I doing wrong? :( My laptot is very hot, GPU 60°

• OK, first you must know which driver are you using… do a lsmod and check for these:
    intel, nouveau, nvidia

Some users have reported that using nvidia driver (that’s the proprietary one) solves that temperature issue.

Maybe somebody else with experience in laptops with two graphic cards (integrated and dedicated) can help you better.

Cheers!

• @das-xEro you can always try to disable Dedicated graphics card in BIOS, I have this option with 710M in my BIOS. Otherwise, on clean installation I was always using only Intel GPU, and trying out nvidia one with bumblebee.

• Looks like you have Nvidia Optimus card. I assume you have Bumblebee installed. If not, there is a detailed guide about installing it on any Arch-based system:

http://www.evolutionlinux.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=669

With Bumblebee installed, Nvidia Optimus computers ALWAYS run on Intel GPU. Nvidia GPU is NEVER used by default.

If you want to run some program on Nvidia GPU, you must do it explicitely, with optirun command:

optirun [optirun-parameters] program [program-parameters]

nvidia-settings is used for both simple (single-GPU) and advanced (hybrid GPUs) Nvidia cards. It is NEVER configured automatically to run correctly on Optimus cards. The correct command to execute nvidia-settings on Optimus card is given in the above mentioned guide.

Finally, nvidia-xconfig tool is a perfect Bumblebee killer. It is meant and works for single-GPU Nvidia cards only. If you run it at least once on Nvidia Optimus, it will immediately destroy Bumblebee configuration.

Unfortunately, nvidia-xconfig is automatically installed during Bumblebee installation. To be safe, it’s better to uninstall it. It serves for nothing on Optimus computers.

• @goorek In BIOS I don’t have this option.
    @just Okay, I try to install Bumblebee, so when is Bumblebee installed, my laptop using Intel?

• @das-xEro said:

…so when is Bumblebee installed, my laptop using Intel?

Yes, it will. The laptop will always run on Intel. Unless you instruct it to do otherwise.

• Well, Bumblebee is installed, but nothing change :(
    My laptot still using nvidia cards, and still I hear a fan, and laptop is very hot.
    (In linux mint every is ok, my laptot using intel, and I hear nothing)
    So what I doing wrong? :(

• If you are on a fresh install by default, prime is built into the kernel and supported by nouveau as long as you have x86-video-nouveau and x86-video-intel installed. So for nvidia to work, you need to identify via command xrandr --listproviders

Follow Arch Wiki here and your card will be off like its on my hybrid ASUS i7 laptop. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

• Can you post back here the full output of two commands

inxi -Gxx
    optitun inxi -Gxx

It looks like

[[email protected] ~]$ inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
               Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.6.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
    [[email protected] ~]$ optirun inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
               Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.30 Direct Rendering: Yes
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

It’s not an answer yet. Just trying to figure out better your hardware configuration.

• [[email protected] ~]$ inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0166
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M]
               bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1140
               Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
               GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.6.4 Direct Rendering: Yes

[[email protected] ~]$ optirun inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0166
               Card-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M]
               bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1140
               Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 630M/PCIe/SSE2
               GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.30 Direct Rendering: Yes

• OK, it looks perfect. Your Bumblebee is sane and well configured.

Now, force the laptop to execute some stupid command on Nvidia GPU:

optirun pwd

bbswitch will switch Nvidia GPU ON to run the “print working directory” command, and will immediately switch it OFF on exit, turning back to Intel GPU.

Nvidia GPU state may be checked at any time with the command

$ cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch  
    0000:01:00.0 OFF
    $ 

Nvidia GPU is always switched OFF by default.

disable12 nvidia-settings11 Posts 11Views 2846