• Can't install necessary packages. Cnchi can't continue

I have tried installing Antergos 6 or 7 times over the last day (each time taking over an hour with cnchi). Whenever it gets to the “Checking integrity” step, it tells me “Can’t install necessary packages. Cnchi can’t continue”. I have already tried every solution I can find on this forum including updating/changing the mirrorlist and still nothing. Cnchi deleted my OS already so I currently have no OS to use besides this live trial of Antergos, please help.

• @aesteic said:

I have tried installing Antergos 6 or 7 times over the last day (each time taking over an hour with cnchi). Whenever it gets to the “Checking integrity” step, it tells me “Can’t install necessary packages. Cnchi can’t continue”. I have already tried every solution I can find on this forum including updating/changing the mirrorlist and still nothing. Cnchi deleted my OS already so I currently have no OS to use besides this live trial of Antergos, please help.

Same for me. I tried every step i found in the forum.

Edit: I’m using latest antergos-2015.07.01-x86_64.iso.
    Edit 2: I live in germany. I used xfce desktop environment, and LURK encryption.

• Cannot confirm installation problem.

Just finished a test Antergos-Kde4 installation. Kde4 was chosen because it’s the largest DE among others. Thus, at highest risk of some error during dowload. The stable antergos-2015.07.01-x86_64.iso release was used.

All optional software, except TTF and SMB, was also included.

The download size was about 900 MiB

antergos-testinstall-2.png

Download took 50 min - twice longer than usual 20…25 min.

Installation completed successfully, winthout a problem

antergos-testinstall-1.png

If that matters, I’m currently in Europe, Finland.

• I’m guessing this might be a connection problem then? I recently tried to visit the mirrors and ALL of them give a 404 error. Is this normal and if not could it be the cause?

• @aesteic

Please, we need to see your log to know what’s happening (it could be the mirrors you’re using are down, or not updated).

The log is saved in /tmp/cnchi.log (and in /var/log/cnchi.log in the installed system, if the installation is successful, which I know it’s not your case).

Thanks!!!

• @karasu In my case the installation is not finished. I have the same error message like aestic so im assuming his installation isnt complete either.

I tried to install several times (Levnovo Thinkpad E520).

• @karasu

It doesn’t seem to let me upload the log here

• @Batman1 said:

… In my case the installation is not finished. I have the same error message like aestic so im assuming his installation isnt complete either.

As already explained by @karasu , without the installation log these remain only a generic words. They don’t help to figure out what was the problem during the installation.

Please, post back here the installation log. It is the file

/tmp/cnchi.log

If you see some error in it, post the entire block of lines with error messages, preceeded by some lines without errors. Do not omit any line from the block. It must be a continuous block of consecutive lines.

If the file is too big and you can’t find an error in it, you may compress the entire file before attaching to the reply.

Alternativelt, if you have a Pastebin.com account, you can upload the log there, and reply with the link to your upload.

• @aesteic said:

…Here is my log: http://sprunge.us/VYbE

Wow! Didn’t remember that the log is so huge! 11241 lines.

For me, the error is caused by xfsprogs-3.2.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz package not passing the sha256sum validation, returning the error 33:

[2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: sha256sum: 73dd6164407090df9446f02e31a3bad83f82f603ddf1db59f720f246512c7d4e
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: checking sha256sum for /install/var/cache/pacman/pkg/numix-icon-theme-square-1:0.r82.bb9313e-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: found cached pkg: /install/var/cache/pacman/pkg/xfsprogs-3.2.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: sha256sum: 252ee9defe520bfedea2a179029bc76186fed39868ffd1bf1a73bf2daa6db5e2
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: checking sha256sum for /install/var/cache/pacman/pkg/xfsprogs-3.2.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] ERROR: returning error 33 from check_validity : invalid or corrupted package
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] ERROR: Can't finalize alpm transaction: transaction failed, pm_errno 33 (invalid or corrupted package), []
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: Releasing alpm transaction...
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [pac] DEBUG: Alpm transaction done.
    [2015-08-12 16:00:42] [process] ERROR: "Can't install necessary packages. Cnchi can't continue."

This block of lines is found at the end of the log.

Most probably, the downloaded xfsprogs-3.2.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz file is corrupted. The answer to the “Why?” question is beyond my capabilities.

• @aesteic said:

I’m guessing this might be a connection problem then?..

Most probably, yes.

As I’m only an end-user, like any other, and have no idea how Cnchi works, I’m about to make a very stupid suggestion now.

If Cnchi uses pacman to download packages, then you can find the fastest, most recently updated, ordered by speed mirrors and give it to pacman before the installation.

To do so

1. Don’t click [Install it] button in Cnchi window

2. Open the terminal and run two commands in it

sudo pacman -S reflector
      sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 64 --latest 32 --number 16 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

3. When reflector finishes, it prepares the list of 16 fastest and most recently updated in last 8 hours mirrors, ordered by speed from fastest to slowest.

If Cnchi uses pacman, then, after you click [Install it] button, pacman will use the mirrors list just prepared by you with above commands.

It may or may not work. I don’t know. For sure, it doesn’t hurt in any way.

• It appears that data corruption is occurring during the copying of a cached package (stored on the ISO) to the install destination. There are a number of possible causes of the problem. If the issue is the fault of Cnchi we hope the upcoming release will resolve it. For now you can avoid the issue entirely by closing the installer when it starts at boot and then run the following from a terminal:

sudo cnchi -d -v -c /install/var/cache/pacman/pkg

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs said:

sudo cnchi -d -v -c /home/antergos/null

I tried it and about halfway through (42%), cnchi just froze. I’ll try it again though.

• @aesteic hmm…I was afraid of that. I couldnt remember how cnchi handles being given a cache directory that doesnt exist. Anyway, I’ve revised my previous post. Try that instead.

• Hello again,

i just tried another installtion and this time it worked without any problem.
    I installed normaly, without any terminal commands.
    In case you still want my last log, I have uploaded it here.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

• It appears that data corruption is occurring during the copying of a cached package (stored on the ISO) to the install destination.

I’m afraid I wasn’t aware of this, I’ll do some digging.

EDIT: I’ve checked the source code. I didn’t remember, new Cnchi version (still unreleased) checks md5 sum BEFORE copying the file, so if it’s not ok it will download it anyways.

Posts 16Views 3177