• What is the plan for KDE on Arch and Antergos ?

So, what should I do ? I am ready to start fresh and install again KDE4 after formatting my laptop. However, will that really bring the expected relief ? KDE4 end of life being at the end of August, does it mean I will have to deal with KDE5 in a few months from now anyway ? If it is the case, I prefer to keep working to overcome the current issues, avoiding by that extra installations.

Hi,
    From Arch:

The KDE Software Collection has been updated to KDE Applications 14.12.
    The KDE developers have started porting their software to KDE Frameworks and Qt 5.
    For a list of the software that has been ported see the announcement.
    When a KDE Frameworks port of a KDE application is considered stable, it is released with KDE Applications and
    development and bug fixes are no longer applied to the Qt4/KDE4 version. This means that as ported versions of
    applications are released, we will switch to the newer version. At the same time, we are getting rid of KDE module 
    prefixes (e.g. kdebase-konsole -> konsole).
    The result of this transition is that some packages will be using Qt5 and some will be using Qt4. We are working hard to 
    make the transition smooth for KDE4 users, but things might look different depending on your configuration. Please 
    adjust themes and colors as necessary for the two toolkits. See the wiki for help. We also recommend switching to 
    Plasma 5.2 which will be released this week.
    Please report upstream bugs to the KDE bugzilla. Feel free to CC me.

What this means is that you’ll have to end using plasma, but you’ll have to setup it yourself. You can’t stop the transition (so installing kde4 will be useful until the transition is done, but after that, you will have to use plasma).

I’ve stopped using Plasma myself because it was too buggy for me (and I was eager to test Enlightenment 0.19 😆 )

My advice is that if you can bear with Plasma as it is, go for it (you’ll have to tweak the configuration a bit to get a nice desktop, but it’s not that hard, check the Arch wiki for Plasma).

On the other hand, if you need a rock solid DE, maybe now it’s time for a change, that’s up to you.

Cheers!

• @karasu you know you want to go back to openbox. why are you fighting it?

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

• It’s not the Antergos policy , I believe , but I really hope that someone will keep the development of KDE4 ( like KDE3 becomes Trinity , Gnome2 becomes MATE , … ) .
    Wake up developers ! Let’s go !

• @karasu Thanks, your advice is helpful.

So, if I want to keep using KDE, I have to go through this transition.
    Then, here are a few additional question :

• The Arch advice is to use Plasma 5.2 which will be released this week. Will it be available on Antergos this week as well ? Should I wait that before doing more adjustments on my desktop ?
    • Will the Antergos team release a patch to customize Plasma 5 with the Antergos style (start screen, theme, applets, apps,…) ?
    • How to get the software update applet back in the systray ?
    • What are the packages to install to get the touchpad setup module working ?

I know I am asking many questions but I am almost sure the answers will not be useful only for me ! 😏

Thanks !

• @squid-f

Plasma is kinda ready, the packages for installation and installer are ready but the antergos look and default settings aren’t.

• @squid-f

OK, here we go!

The Arch advice is to use Plasma 5.2 which will be released this week. Will it be available on Antergos this week as well ?

We use Arch repositories for as many packages as we can (Antergos is like a layer on Arch), so the answer is yes.

Should I wait that before doing more adjustments on my desktop ?

Don’t wait. I don’t think at this point KDE5 setup will change, so all adjustments should work ok if you do them in a 5.x plasma version

Will the Antergos team release a patch to customize Plasma 5 with the Antergos style (start screen, theme, applets, apps,…) ?

We’re trying to release some packages to be able to apply our setup without reinstalling. I do not know when they will be fully available (there’re already some preliminary versions in our repository). What it will be available for sure is in our Cnchi installer.

How to get the software update applet back in the systray ?

Maybe @lots-0-logs knows the answer. I do not use pamac myself… sorry.

What are the packages to install to get the touchpad setup module working ?

Check that you have xf86-input-synaptics installed. Then, check that you have the file
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf with this contents:

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "touchpad catchall"
            Driver "synaptics"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            Option "TapButton1" "1"
            Option "TapButton2" "2"
            Option "TapButton3" "3"
    # This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
    # enabled by default. See the following link for details:
    # http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "touchpad ignore duplicates"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            MatchOS "Linux"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
            Option "Ignore" "on"
    EndSection

# This option enables the bottom right corner to be a right button on
    # non-synaptics clickpads.
    # This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
            MatchDriver "synaptics"
            Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
    EndSection

# This option disables software buttons on Apple touchpads.
    # This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Disable clickpad buttons on Apple touchpads"
            MatchProduct "Apple|bcm5974"
            MatchDriver "synaptics"
            Option "SoftButtonAreas" "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"
    EndSection

Cheers!

• How to get the software update applet back in the systray ?

System Tray icons are currently broken for Qt5 applications when operating in KDE4. They are also broken for Qt4 and GTK applications when running under Plasma5. I’m sure the KDE devs will address the issue sooner rather than later 😉

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs

I’m pretty sure it’s fixed with the sni-qt and lib32-sni-qt packages. You try installing those and do a reboot?

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/sni-qt/
    https://www.archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/lib32-sni-qt/

• @karasu said:

Check that you have xf86-input-synaptics installed. Then, check that you have the file
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf with this contents: …

Hi @Karasu.
    xf86-input-synaptics is installed and I have the content you mentioned in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
    When I go in the Touchpad section in the Input device module of the System Configuration menu, I get the following error message : Synaptics backend not found

@Wyn said:

I’m pretty sure it’s fixed with the sni-qt and lib32-sni-qt packages. You try installing those and do a reboot?

Hi @Wyn. I installed these packages and made a reboot. It didn’t solve my issue. After, I installed the 94 updates proposed today but nothing changed either regarding the software update notifications and applet in the systray. I have now more applets proposed if I want to add some though !

Other question : when KDE5 will be proposed in Cnchi with Antergos specific tweaks, will it possible to just update my machine or shall I have to make a new full installation ?

Thanks for your support !

• @squid-f

Ugh, not sure why sni-qt wouldnt work, guess I have to do some googling.

You shouldn’t have to do a full reinstall to get the Antergos tweaks, copying and pasting should be all that’s needed.

• @Wyn Thanks. I have been googling myself and haven’t found anything yet.
    I’ll continue though as well!

• They are also broken for Qt4 and GTK applications when running under Plasma5. I’m sure the KDE devs will address the issue sooner rather than later

Yep, they’re migrating all apps from Qt4 to Qt5, but it will take time.

@squid-f
    Do you have libinput and xf86-input-libinput installed?

EDIT: Oh, and check the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

• Hi

@karasu said:

Do you have libinput and xf86-input-libinput installed?

xf86-input-libinput was not installed. I just did it and reboot. But, I still have the same issue.

EDIT: Oh, and check the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

It is quite a long file. What should I be looking at ?

Thanks

• xf86-input-libinput was not installed. I just did it and reboot. But, I still have the same issue.

That was a longshot, to tell you the truth.

For /var/log/Xorg.0.log you must check all lines that have EE which mean Error, also all lines with synaptics word on it. You can grep them this way:

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    grep ynaptics /var/log/Xorg.0.log

• @karasu : Hi,

Here are the results of the 2 commands :

[email protected] ~]$ grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [     2.790] Current Operating System: Linux chris-laptop 4.1.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 11 15:41:14 CEST 2015 x86_64
           (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    [     2.814] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 574 does not belong to any known session
    [     4.033] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Atmel Atmel maXTouch Digitizer" (type: TOUCHSCREEN, id 15)
    [[email protected] ~]$ grep ynaptics /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [[email protected] ~]$ grep synaptics /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [[email protected] ~]$ grep tics /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

The error I found might not be related to the problem but I pasted it just in case.
    Looking for synaptics in several ways doesn’t return anything.

Thanks for your support.

• Thanks all for your support.
    I am now giving up on Plasma5. I am spending too much time on this for the outcomes.
    I am making a new full install of KDE4 and I will switch to Plasma5 when you guys will release it on Antergos.

Thanks a lot though. I appreciated a lot your dedication. 👏

kde206 desktop17 Posts 37Views 15124
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.