• What is the plan for KDE on Arch and Antergos ?

Hi

I switched recently to KDE coming from Gnome. I have a 13.3" touch screen laptop and Gnome was not flexible enough to my taste to tweak the display options.
    I use now KDE with the plasma desktop (as called on the login screen) and I really like it.

Where I am a bit confused is about the version really used on Antergos. It is said KDE 4.14.10 on Kinfocenter. But I use a plasma desktop I thought was specific to KDE Plasma 5 ; I was obviously wrong.
    So what are the differences between KDE4 / KDE 5 / Plasma 5 ? Is there a way to install a more recent KDE version on Antergos if it is not already the most recent one ? What would be risk, stability wise ?

Thanks for educating me ! :wink:

• Plasma isn’t technically out yet or claimed stable enough for a working enviroment. I have no problems with Plasma either but it doesn’t mean someone else is.

The configuration files are kind of a mess right now too, as not everything has been moved over yet.

Cnchi does support Plasma, but it’s on the waiting game for Plasma release. (I did update the packages a while ago so it will install, there’s no Antergos look and feel set up though)

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn Thanks for your swift answer.

Will there be a way to easily upgrade from KDE4 when it will be ready ? Any lead time in mind for that ?

• @squid-f

It’s already easy to upgrade to Plasma from kde4 :).

sudo pacman -Rcns kdebase-workspace
    sudo pacman -Syyu plasma

Run this in the console before lightdm (I can’t remember what it’s called, you use alt f2 to enter that console)

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn said:

Run this in the console before lightdm (I can’t remember what it’s called, you use alt f2 to enter that console)

Thanks Wyn !

Should I run it at the Grub stage or just strike alt-F2 at LightDM login stage ? Will lightDM still be the login manager afterwards ? What is the “risk” taken by switching right now to Plasma, if any (KDE4 software issues or overall stability issue) ?

• @squid-f said:

@Wyn said:

Thanks Wyn !

Should I run it at the Grub stage or just strike alt-F2 at LightDM login stage ? Will lightDM still be the login manager afterwards ? What is the “risk” taken by switching right now to Plasma, if any (KDE4 software issues or overall stability issue) ?

LightDm will still be the login manager, there’s no login managers in the plasma group. And run it after selecting Antergos in the grub (While it’s loading Antergos hit alt f2).
    Also if you chose bluetooth when installing antergos remember to remove it aswell, bluedevil4 is for kde4, and bluedevil is for plasma.

sudo pacman -Rcns bluedevil4
    sudo pacman -S bluedevil

You should have very little issues after the upgrade, I deleted .config + .kde4 + kde + .local folders from the home folder and did a reboot to make sure my configurations were properly set.

• Hi

I just upgraded. I had to hit ctrl-alt-F2 at the login screen stage to run the pacman commands. The bluetooth dependency conflict was found and solved during the installation.

It seems to work well. However, I cannot activate the Plasma Netbook workspace. The option is not available in System setting>Workspace behavior>Workspace
    This workspace is the reason why I moved from Gnome to KDE. I really need it. What else do I need to install or did I miss to get it ?

Eventually, if this workspace is not available yet in Arch, how can I revert back to KDE4 ? Just uninstall plasma and install again kdebase-workspace ?

Thanks

• @squid-f

With Kde4 reaching end of life at the end of the month I would suggest what it recommends.

The Plasma Netbook shell has been dropped from Plasma 5, see the following KDE forum post However, you can achieve something similar by editing the file ~/.config/kwinrc adding BorderlessMaximizedWindows=true in the [Windows] section.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE

• @Wyn said:

The Plasma Netbook shell has been dropped from Plasma 5,

It’s a pity :cry: . I use 13.3"touch-screen laptop and this netbook workspace was very handy.

As KDE4 end of life is in August then, will the Antergos team propose a specific theme and tweaks through the regular updates ?

Thanks for your explanations !

• @squid-f

As Plasma gets closer to release more work would be done to it. Have you tried the suggestion to replicate Plasma Netbook?

• @Wyn Hi. Sorry for my late reply, I have been away for a few days without laptop.
    The change in the config file has not brought a lot in regards to what I liked on the netbook workspace. What I like is the application launcher on full page mode.

I will have to accommodate to KDE5 way I guess. However, either the installation is not complete yet or KDE5 is still buggy. For instance, I cannot change the background image through the settings window. When I click on the button to open a personal image, I get a transparent window popping up and it remains transparent. I guess I should able to browse my disc instead. Then. I had to drag and drop an image on the background.
    In addition, I don’t have the sound applet anymore (the icon looking like a speaker) and the button on the side of my screen doesn’t allow to change the volume anymore. Also, I lost my kmail configuration ; I guess it is because I removed some config files as recommended ( .local, .kde4,…). Actually, I just their names. I might retrieve some data then. I will have to search the web for all of that.

In short, it looks like switching to KDE5 is not without hassle yet.

• @squid-f

For sound, it sounds like kdemultimedia-kmix is still installed, which is built for kde4.
    Remove that sudo pacman -Rcns kdemultimedia-kmix and replace with the plasma version sudo pacman -Syy kmix

Even with Kmail I would’ve still recommended it for a clean setup and not leaving unneeded files from kde4. :+1:

Changing wallpaper is through the desktop with the icon on the top corner (right-click, desktop settings), can show you an image of the transparency?
    Alt text

• @Wyn Thanks for your hints.
    I have a weak internet connection where I am right now. I will test and post the transparency issue by Tuesday.
    Cheers !

• @squid-f

I’ve been running Plasma for two months and I can confirm that it’s not production ready at all. In some circumstances I got sluggy scrolling, artifacts on the screen, bad redrawing… etc.

Many times I had to reload the wm to get rid of them, by running:
    kwin_x11 --replace &

Oh, and sometimes sddm could not shutdown my machine ¿?

Installing lightdm again and running another Desktop Environment solved all these issues (so it was not graphics driver related at all).

For these and other reasons we will wait a bit to add it as an option to Cnchi, but in the end it will be added for sure.

Cheers!

• Fully agree and share the same point of view about the current Plasma state: it’s far from being stable or ready for production systems. On all platforms - arch, debian, fedora, suse.

Looks like KDE project tests Plasma on their users. Which is not nice.

Unfortunately, the current transition from Kde 4 to Plasma 5 badly impacts on Anteros-Kde4 spin. It installs without a problem, but then stacks forever on login trying to start the DE. In simple words, a newly installed Kde4 doesn’t work.

Old Antergos-Kde4 continue to work though. With some minor hick-ups caused by transition to Plasma.

• It installs without a problem, but then stacks forever on login trying to start the DE. In simple words, a newly installed Kde4 doesn’t work.

I think we weren’t aware of this (at least I wasn’t). Maybe @lots.0.logs knows better, he is the maintainer of the kde setup.

• @karasu @just

Damn I must be the luckiest user ever :worried:. Been 2 months since last install on my main linux machine (Was testing cnchi), and I also use sddm. And I’ve received no issues :(.

This is my sddm theme for the satifaction: https://github.com/Wyn10/sddm-urbanlifestyle-theme

Only gaming I do on this machine is streamed from my desktop over Steam.

• @Wyn said:

@squid-f

For sound, it sounds like kdemultimedia-kmix is still installed, which is built for kde4.
    Remove that sudo pacman -Rcns kdemultimedia-kmix and replace with the plasma version sudo pacman -Syy kmix

Even with Kmail I would’ve still recommended it for a clean setup and not leaving unneeded files from kde4. :+1:

Changing wallpaper is through the desktop with the icon on the top corner (right-click, desktop settings), can show you an image of the transparency?
    Alt text

@squid-f that kde setup looks great :]
    do you mind sharing the details of this setup? i.e…themes…and other aesthetic related items

• PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!
    Keep KDE4 and DON’T change to this unfinished , horrible KDEPlasma5 or something like …
    "just
    Looks like KDE project tests Plasma on their users. Which is not nice."
    I agree with you completely .

• Hi all

here is a quick update.

@QuantumQweef : the theme has been shared by Wyn, not by me. If I misunderstood you though, just let me know and I will try to support.
    @Wyn :
    1/ the kmix conflict indeed solved my issue regarding the volume button and the icon in the systray. Thanks!
    2/ transparency issue with the open file window to chose a background image : well, before making a snapshot of the issue, I applied a few updates available and the kmix patch. I don’t knowwhether or not it is related but I cannot reproduce the issue anymore… I will monitor that and post a picture if relevant.

@karasu : I still use LightDM and not SDDM. So, no issue here.

In overall, I still have a messy desktop. I lost the update manager in the systray for instance (any idea ?).
    Also, the system settings panel is in mixed language now (not a real issue for me but it is not clean). I don’t have anymore the Antergos “goodies” :) and the theme / window decorations I liked with KDE4. The netbook workspace is gone with KDE5 which I regret. However, if something equivalent to the homerun application launcher exists with KDE5, I can cope with that.

So, what should I do ? I am ready to start fresh and install again KDE4 after formatting my laptop. However, will that really bring the expected relief ? KDE4 end of life being at the end of August, does it mean I will have to deal with KDE5 in a few months from now anyway ? If it is the case, I prefer to keep working to overcome the current issues, avoiding by that extra installations.

I am seeking here for any advice ! Thanks !

desktop13 kde104 Posts 37Views 10013