• Virtualbox installation?

I tried twice now to install to a VM - both failed. Is there anything special a guy needs to know about Atergos in a VM? The LiveCD seems to run just fine. My first failed installation hung up early in the downloading phase. The second attempt seemed to be about done - the top % bar was around 98 - when it told me that it couldn’t download something.

Third try is in process right now, fetching Firefox 39. Watching and waiting . . .

• Hi,

You’ve caught us just in the middle of the process of updating our server GPG keys… and our mirrors need some time to update themselves. Therefore, I’m afraid that you’ll have some problems installing just right now, sorry.

Selecting whichever DE you prefer but without any “features” might help.

Cheers!

• Well - that third try worked alright. I chose to only install the base system. The system booted after it was finished. I managed to install LightDM and Enlightenment, and actually got things configured so that I could browse the internet, and fool around with the OS. Not bad, I guess.

Heck, I may head over to ArchLinux, and do the whole thing from scratch. I’m mildly surprised at myself - I learned that I know a lot more than I thought I did - and I also learned that I’m still pretty ignorant in some respects.

I’ve heard that installing an Arch from scratch teaches you a lot about the OS, and this experience supports that claim.

• @Paul-Brown said:

I’ve heard that installing an Arch from scratch teaches you a lot about the OS, and this experience supports that claim.

I totally disagree. You can follow the Arch wiki without any clue of what you’re doing, and end up with a perfect installation.
    And, even if you care to learn, it’s just a tedious process of setup your partitions, your locale, your network and start installing all the packages you need… not much knowledge you will get from here. If you don’t believe me, just have a look at the Arch wiki : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

Cheers!

Posts 4Views 939