• do you use Antergos Openbox?

how many people in here using openbox on antergos? i cant be the only one? :grimacing:

show yourselves!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• @megaman Well, sorry, nope, not me… I am now on KDE Plasmas. :smirk:

• Hi again :smiley:
    For the sake of learning, what are the pros you see with Openbox compared to KDE ?

• @squid-f the biggest would be more resources for apps. you are just running a windows manager so its superlight.

openbox is very snappy.

KDE is all the bells and whistles and Openbox is just simple.

• @megaman Interesting. How touchscreen friendly openbox is ?

• @squid-f not friendly at all that i know of :bowtie:

• Been there, enjoyed.

Not with Tint2+Plank(Default) But with AWN2015-02-07--1423310079_1366x768_scrot.jpg

Not on Openbox anymore, running Compiz+CairoDock now, enjoying still :D screenshot29.jpg

Woobly Windows, Animations, Super smoothness, Light on cpu (cuz cairo dock and compiz both use OpenGL), light on RAM (320-350MB on startup)

Do we really need Deepin Desktop? :relieved:

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Yash i love me some tint2 :bowtie: but awn looks good too. i like the right click close app feature of tint2 and i think it looks great.

openbox has woobly windows? :open_mouth:

• @megaman : Not that I know of. I think that he refers to Compiz.

I also used Openbox for a loooong time… but now I’m in KDE Plasma, too. It feels a lot less cramped than KDE4 (which I never liked).

Cheers!

• @karasu oh i missed that part where he said not anymore.

:grin:

• Better late than never! IMHO Openbox is a very lightweight and sexy WM. Actually, the more I try of all kinds of UI’s, then the more certain I am of the fact that Openbox is the best out there. Because of the transparent and intuitive structure which makes it easy to tweak/hack, and of course the right-click openbox-menu. Actually, it doesn’t matter how good something is, if it doesn’t have the right-click menu. That’s a dealbreaker, and I’m not going to bother to try anything without it in the future. Because I know that I will miss it.

• I used to use Openbox for a short while and even customized it to look pretty sexy but ultimately the amount of work it required of me to get a reasonable system was too much for me to bother with further.

I now run Plasma 5 which is not perfect but it gets better and better with every release. I actually really liked KDE4 once I made it not look like brushed metal and Tylenol exploded on my screen, but Plasma 5 is SO MUCH better.

@squid-f said:

Interesting. How touchscreen friendly openbox is ?

Not at all actually. Openbox is meant to be as minimal as possible, I doubt they will ever put any focus on touchscreens. I think the only chance for that happening is with the LXQt DE as uses Openbox for their window manager.

@megaman said:

the biggest would be more resources for apps. you are just running a windows manager so its superlight.

What kind of computer do you have? I mean if you have one with 2GB of RAM or more then KDE Plasma is going to run great on that. KDE has a TON of FUD around it being bloated but they people who make that claim are entirely misinformed.

@Flynn said in do you use Antergos Openbox?:

IMHO Openbox is a very lightweight and sexy WM.

The Antergos build of Openbox is pretty good but Openbox by default is pretty hideous.

Because of the transparent and intuitive structure which makes it easy to tweak/hack,

This can also be said about KDE Plasma and MATE as well.

of course the right-click openbox-menu. Actually, it doesn’t matter how good something is, if it doesn’t have the right-click menu. That’s a dealbreaker, and I’m not going to bother to try anything without it in the future. Because I know that I will miss it.

KDE Plasma (4 and 5) have the ability to do this and it only takes changing one setting to make it happen. :) I use this in fact because I liked the way Openbox did that but now I have that and everything else that makes KDE great.

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• @MichaelTunnell what work is needed to get a reasonable system?

my computer is a fairly recent build with a quad core cpu and 8 gigs of ram ssd hd. oh im sure kde would run great on it. i also gave gnome a shot a few months back but to me there is a speed difference still. some people dont see it but i can for sure notice a speed difference moving around in openbox over other desktops. im not sure myself but is there a linux desktop that uses more resources then kde?

i find the default openbox antergos layout very nice looking.

• I also use openbox, it’s light on RAM and disk space, and doesn’t come with many apps so I can choose myself (made some kind of lxde-xfce-mate apps blend).

• what work is needed to get a reasonable system?

Well, an example of what Michael said is the amount of time I had to spend in order to add a second language. It took me two nights of googling around to get an idea, trying suggestions that worked and solutions that didnt…
    I still have not found a way to add an applet so that I know which language I am using. I know its going to be something easy to do, but I simply cannot waste the time to go through all this time consuming proccess of studying.
    Another example. I installed gparted & gsmartcontrol, but I could not find them in my system tools. After some unsuccessful attempts to find them and use them, I came along with the idea of installing synapse and calling them from there. And synapse I used till after a few days I was able to finally see them in my system tools.
    A third example is yours…:smile: Do you remember your question on how to set Chromium as default browser? Well…in your case you were lucky, as Chromium has got its own settings page to set it as default. But what about me who am using Epiphany and is as minimal as it can be and is lucking such settings? In my Gnome system all the above examples are just a click away sparing you the time (and peace of mind) for other, more productive tasks on the computer.
    Of course, should you add all those modern “luxuries” to your openbox system (just the synapse gave me another 55 MB RAM usage, turns the system heavier. Without having configured my Openbox system the way I want it to, it is 150 MB less hungry than my Gnome one. The gap will definately get narrower when I decide to get functions I have not yet added to it.
    To sum up. Is it worth arguing about which DE is best over the other? In my opinion, NO. It is all a matter of choice and personal preferrences. The only restriction is “ancient” hardware, an old, abandoned computer you would like to give it life again…
    ***As for speed. My only problem with either DE is when my Internet connection gets stubborn. Only then I can see noticeable differences, Have you got any recordings of how many seconds (or miliseconds) the one system is faster than another? Is it just a feel? Is it a race thing or have the work done after all?
    :innocent:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch

1. ive never had to add another language myself so i dont know much about that.

2. weird gparted always shows up in my menu. you can always just run it from the terminal or add the shortcut to tint2 if you use it a lot.

3. ya the default apps im not sure about. i use to be able to edit that easily but now with the browser default im not sure sure why its so hard to set now.

i dont have any recordings on how much faster. im sure its very minimal but it feels faster to me opening apps and moving around the system. everyone is going to have their fav desktop. thats why there are so many desktops out there but openbox just works the way i want my system to work.

these are some pretty small examples of not being a reasonable system. im not really sure what that means :smile:

• @megaman:
    what work is needed to get a reasonable system?

Reasonably feature-full system that doesn’t require my input on everything. For example, the drop of maintenance of obkey in Arch was not something I was willing to deal with . . . having to manually add menu entries? Hell to the No. :)

@megaman:
    i find the default openbox antergos layout very nice looking.

I think the Antergos layout is nice but Antergos Default != Openbox Default

@anarch:
    So many great examples to quote so instead I’ll just say “whole post”.

@megaman:
    i dont have any recordings on how much faster. im sure its very minimal but it feels faster to me opening apps and moving around the system.

This doesn’t matter because your computer can handle any of the DEs/WMs so you could make any of them work and feel fast. There is no such thing as a “heavy Linux DE”, they are either Lightweight or Ultra Lightweight.

@megaman:
    these are some pretty small examples of not being a reasonable system. im not really sure what that means :smile:

Combine them all together, one tiny issue is annoying but dozens of tiny issues is unacceptable when combined.

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• @MichaelTunnell adding to the main menu? the apps arent auto adding or you talking about the keyboard shortcuts? ya obkey was useful im not sure if they have an app that replaces it now. ive just done the manual edit so long i havent thought about that. i make very few edits anyway.

why would we be talking about the default openbox? of course we talking about the designed antergos openbox ;) ya the default is very plain and needs some serious work but antergos has done all the work and gives it a nice look to start with and i think easy to edit.

well you can look at the lightweight the way you want but there is a difference in resources to the system comparing openbox to kde. it gets much more clear if you use a little bit older hardware also. ill probaby test out kde sometime soon and take a look at how quick it is now.

look around the board there are tiny issues with all desktops. no desktop is perfect :ok_hand:

i would say if you really want to customize your desktop with openbox ya you going to have to edit some text probably but if you just want to run some apps and have a nice look to your system and be light on your system its a great desktop.

when i use my computer i use it to run apps. i want the system out of my way as much as possible. my desktop is about as minimal as it gets. again it just gets back to personal preference but i see nothing on openbox that would even stop a newbie from using it.

i have a debian openbox setup for my mom and she doesnt know :poop: about computers :) shes had this setup for years but still calls it windows :) my mom does office work, email and internet browsing primarily and shes had zero issues using it. the only thing i had to make her understand was the right click menu but after she understood that was the menu for everything she got it. but i also made some shortcuts on tint2 that she uses most often. i mean if my mom can use it anyone can use it :+1:

i stopped telling her its not windows. i just let her call it that :)

• I actually experiences adding a language a simpler process compared to other DEs. It’s not completely GUI, but the autstart script is reachable through the obmenu (right-click) and you just need to add a single line to it (also accessible through ~/.config/openbox/ of course, but just in case a user doesn’t know that) - Instead of having saparate setting for layout, input and language support (like of xfce, gnome, kde, and anything else I tried before).
    I love the fact that whatever program I like I can get, and I don’t need to keep the less loved alternative - like removing lxterminal for xfce4-popup-included one, which I like more than tilda/guake; or thunar for caja, just bc I like tree-view on the main panel and the ability to sort only the ~/Download by date).
    I know it’s all very particular, but for me it represent the freedom I felt XFCE (example bc I liked it the most until ob) and other DEs always lacked

• ill just add that openbox isnt for everyone…clearly ;) but great thing about linux is there are lot of desktops to choose from :+1:

too say one desktop is better then another is just silly. everyone uses their desktop differently :sunglasses:

Posts 22Views 6560