• WARNING: Newbie question ahead regarding the Antergos distro

I was wondering if someone could tell me how good the Antegros team is and if the distro has a promising future? I mean what are the chances that one day the project is abandoned and we all need to find a different distro?

I’d also like to know how good Arch-Linux is compared to other distros out there like Ubuntu or Debian?

I am sorry for the almost rude question, but I am about to move to Antergos and would like to know if I am making the correct choice.

Cheers

• I was wondering if someone could tell me how good the Antegros team is and if the distro has a promising future? I mean what are the chances that one day the project is abandoned and we all need to find a different distro?

The team is excellent!!! :joy:

Now, seriously, there’s no guarantee whatsoever that this is going to last. We (dev team) do this as a hobbie, so we’ll continue to do it as long as we have the time. Do not worry too much, if we left it, maybe somebody else would take it for us, and even if nobody wants to do it, you can always go to use the great Arch distro, with no learning curve for you at all.

We at Antergos love Arch, that’s why our distro is based on it.

As a personal point of view, I can’t stand Ubuntu for many reasons whereas I have a lot of respect for Debian.

Maybe other users will have better answers.

Cheers!

• @karasu said:
    As a personal point of view, I can’t stand Ubuntu for many reasons whereas I have a lot of respect for Debian.

++++++++10000000000000000

Mis respetos.-

• @Gabe-Rivers I’ve been running Antergos for nearly a year and it is extremely reliable. Lately, there have been issues with the Cnchi installer but I’m confident that will be fixed soon. Personally, I have quite a few PC’s/laptops and run different variations of Linux that I find to be the most reliable.

Arch
    Antergos

Ubuntu
    Linux Lite
    Linux MInt

Debian
    SolydXK
    Point Linux

• @jaws222 said:

@Gabe-Rivers I’ve been running Antergos for nearly a year and it is extremely reliable. Lately, there have been issues with the Cnchi installer but I’m confident that will be fixed soon. Personally, I have quite a few PC’s/laptops and run different variations of Linux that I find to be the most reliable.

Arch
    Antergos

Ubuntu
    Linux Lite
    Linux MInt

Debian
    SolydXK
    Point Lin

What is exactly happening to the cnchi?

• @Gabe-Rivers said:> …What is exactly happening to the cnchi?

Nothing. Cnchi works perfectly.

But if at least one of those 600…800 millions bytes, that it retrieves to install a single DE from various mirrors all over the world, is wrong or can’t be retrieved, the whole installation fails.

• I guess I am fortunate in that I have an ‘old’ release of Antergos and the installer has never failed. I have read though of the new iso having issues hanging, disconnecting, causing the install to fail.
    One thing I did notice with my old iso, as soon as I startup the LiveCD I get a ‘red’ notice in the system tray indicating updates are available and it installs them immediately. I get a notification indicating that update are complete.
    So perhaps when using the new iso, you should do a:

pacman -Syu

That may fix the install issues. I hope one of the Team could verify that.
    Regards.
    Marshall aka Herbie…

• Hi

I have been using Antergos for 6 months or so and it is really a cutting edge distro. To my understanding, it is fully based on Arch. So, you might have sometimes to time to complete some software installations or tweak them using command lines. It is not as often but you have to be ready for that. I just had to do it for instance for the installation of Virutalbox.
    The Arch Wiki is a good source of support and the Antergos forum members are awesome !

As a reward, you will get all the latest software releases and a rolling release distro. No need anymore to upgrade or to go through a full install again. As far as stability is concerned, I have nothing to complain about. I have Linux Mint on a family desktop PC for instance and it has been so far less stable than Antergos.

Not everything is perfect of course but, so far, it is the best distro I can recommend to someone looking for a cutting edge distro.

Enjoy !

• I agree 100%. This distro is one of the best out there. Arch, well, I am to damned lazy to do it the ‘Arch Way’. I have been using linux on/off for a couple of years and now I have settled on Antergos.
    The best part, 'It’s the team.'
    They are very helpful, never condescending.
    Any problems and they sort them out.
    The only caution is, Watch what you update.
    If it goes wrong you can always downgrade with
    #/var/cache/pacman/pkg
    pacman -U xxxxxxx version prior to the upgrade.
    You can check
    pamac history to the exact name of the program.
    I had to that with the latest xf86-video-Intel
    sna acceleration caused video issues.
    So all is not lost when things go kinda south on you.
    This forum with the Team and the Members will in all likelyhood get you out of trouble.

• @herbie said:

I guess I am fortunate in that I have an ‘old’ release of Antergos and the installer has never failed. I have read though of the new iso having issues hanging, disconnecting, causing the install to fail.
    One thing I did notice with my old iso, as soon as I startup the LiveCD I get a ‘red’ notice in the system tray indicating updates are available and it installs them immediately. I get a notification indicating that update are complete.
    So perhaps when using the new iso, you should do a:

pacman -Syu

That may fix the install issues. I hope one of the Team could verify that.
    Regards.
    Marshall aka Herbie…

Hey Herbie,

Can you tell me what pacman - Syu does exactly?

I am about to do the installation tomorrow and I just hope it will go smoothly. :)

• Here ya go
    pacman -Syu # Synchronize with repositories and then upgrade packages that are out of date on the local system.

Always check with the Arch Wiki, it is a fantastic resource and it some of it even applies to Non-Arch distributions.
    Has references to Pulseaudio, systemd and more.

Here is a link

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page

You probably will never go wrong with checking for anything you have questions by going to Wiki first.
    Good luck.

• I have been using Antergos as my main Distro for well over a year now. Rock solid reliable as any O/S can be. Installation can be a bit hit & miss as mentioned above but once installed it is the best out there for sure.

BTW after 1st boot I always do a full sync & update with sudo pacman -Syyu

Posts 12Views 1747