• Dual-boot Win 7 - What am i doing wrong?

Created unallocated space (23G) in Windows 7.
    GParted:
    / (11G)
    /home (8)
    /swap (4)
    -clicked apply - then added flag to /

Antergos:
    / to format as ext4
    /home (untouched)
    /swap to format

At reboot just get bunch of technical words with no options to boot into any OS.

• Hi, danielson.

I have some questions about your setup:

1. What do you mean by ‘adding flag to /’? I understand that by / you mean your root partition, what I don’t understand is the ‘flag’ part.
    2. What filesystem are you using in your /home partition? You are saying that this was ‘untouched’. Do you mean that you didn’t format it to use a specific filesystem? If so, I’m not sure if Antergos installation should end without an error message. Every partition to be used by Antergos is supposed to use a specific supported filesystem.
    3. How did you create the unallocated space for Antergos? Are you sure that you didn’t touch the partition where the Windows boot manager is installed? It seems you used Gparted to create a space for Antergos… I don’t know if Gparted prevents the user to eliminate or damage it.
    4. What is exactly the message that you are getting from your machine at startup?
    5. Do you know if your hardware is using UEFI?
      That’s all for now…

Kind regards.

• @rgnodev,

Thank you so much for dropping in!!
    I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

1. After dividing the unallocated space created in Windows, i used GParted to make partitions, right-clicked on / to flag it as / (meaning root right?).
    2. With GParted, the /home partition was set as ext4 and i did not “format” it with Antergos installer.
    3. The two Windows partitions are untouched.
    4. That’s a tough one! I should have taken a snapshot with a camera. Something with a / that swivels (flips around) all the time… DH…
    5. What is UEFI? I have one SSD drive with 115G. Windows 7 64bit. It boots in about 22 seconds.
  • Perhaps i should forget GParted and install directly with Antergos installer (after creating unallocated space with Windows disk manager)?

• Why install Antergos manually when you have the installer? Try using the installer for dual-booting and to understand UEFI please read http://www.uefi.org/faq - this will explain some information about UEFI, since all computers after 2007 from what I heard is UEFI enabled and nearly all computers now are UEFI only or have a dual UEFI/BIOS motherboard.

• danielson:

1. Ok. Now I understand… I don’t think this should be the cause of your problem.
    2. Ok. No problems here then. If you already set the partition as ext4, then you don’t need to format it with the installer.
    3. Ok. I suppose those 2 Windows partitions were the only pre-existing partitions you had in your disk. If so, no problems should have been created in this step.
    4. I have had boot error messages in the past, but nothing that looks like that… the message content, eventually, could give us some orientation to undesrtand what’s going wrong.
    5. Regarding UEFI… It’s a little hard for me to explain exactly what it is, but as @DarkCerberus said, you can read some info by looking at the provided link. In practical terms, I can tell you this: if without UEFI enabled hardware (this this is ‘the old way’), you simply enter the BIOS, change the boot options in order to boot from a USB drive, or a live CD, or whatever; then boot from your GNU/Linux installation media and install your distribution alongside Windows… well with UEFI (the ‘new way’) things get more complicated.
      A few weeks ago, I installed Antergos in an Acer Aspire E11 laptop… a system which comes with UEFI. The procedure for installing a GNU/Linux distro in such a machine depends on how the vendor implemented UEFI in the hardware that comes with it. Although it should not be a hard task once you know hot to proceed, the difficult part is that the procedure is not obvious (or intuitively clear). So I would recommend you entering your BIOS and reading carefully all boot-related sections, looking for two clue-terms that could help you to know if your hardware is using UEFI: ‘UEFI’ and ‘Secure Boot’. If you find something like this, please check if UEFI and or Secure Boot are enabled or not.

P.S: which computer are you trying to install Antergos on? (Vendor, model, …?)

• Hi,

Just tried to install via Antergos installer and had same issues.
    So, i flipped in Win7 disk to repair and lo and behold… Antergos appears with option for Vista etc. boot!

Now if i could only get HPLaserJet to print test page…
    Working with HP EliteBook 8460p

• From the Arch Linux wiki:did you try by installing hplip package?
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS#HP_Printer

• An additional point: you can see if your printer is supported by the hplip driver by looking at the following link:
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html
    If it’s supported, but you still can’t make your printer to work, probably there is some kind of configuration issue. In the Arch Linux wiki (see the link at the previous post) there is a notice about a possible issue you might face.

• Thanks again rgndev.
    Will look into that.

dual-boot11 windows72 ssd21 Posts 10Views 2521