• Howto make a (UEFI/BIOS) bootable USB installation

Hi,

first of all I’ll introduce you into what I’m trying to achieve.
    I want to make my 64GB USB 3.0 stick a bootable device. There should be around 25gigs for data storage which should be available for the linux installation (antergos) and any other OS (kind of a normal ntfs storage parition) which was not booted with the stick itself (in short: I want to be able to boot an antegros installation from the usb stick and use it as a normal storage device, too).

The goal is to get an environment which I can plug into any system (it needs to be able to boot from UEFI and legacy/normal bios) and have my tools and apps already set up plus a partition which I can use to store files while this partition is also available if I just plug the stick into a running system (like a windows machine to grab some file of a friend).

I’m able to setup the stick from windows and linux (so I could use the easiest/best way to setup my stick) but need some guiding points into the right direction.

Thx in advance for any tips/help/guidance.

• @TobiasJ LOL I literally just did this exact thing today for the first time! But I’m not all the way there yet and I made this account 5 minutes ago to ask the same thing. Anyway, here is what I have done so far. I got the ISO image for antergos and put it on one small USB. Then I got USBWriter. Now I’m not sure if this part is necessary, but using windows DiskPart, I cleaned, (My drive was seriously ^&*$ed up), and made a partition on my external hard drive. Then I assigned a letter to it (S: (doesn’t matter what though)). I then used the program to put the iso on the USB. I shut down the computer and held esc as it booted to get to the BIOS. I selected the USB and waited for it to start and chose to try it. Half way there! Then I plugged in my HDD and went to install. I chose NOT to erase anything and chose the HDD. This is where I got stuck, because Antergos wouldn’t allow me to install to the drive. No errors or anything, the next button (>) was just grayed out. So, anyone know what to do now?

~Photon

• Hi,

When you tried to install Cnchi, it didn’t allow to go on because something was missing (if you’re using UEFI, did you mount your /boot/efi partition?). You must check the labels in red.

If you want you can post here a screenshot of Cnchi when it does not allow you to go on.

Cheers!

• I got Cnichi from the iso. What is the efi partition? I used USBWriter, did that make the partitions or do I need to? How might I go about mounting the partition? Finally, only the > button is grayed out and it says that it can’t use blah blah disk and blah blah partition.

~Photon

• Is fairly simple. First, forget about UEFI compatibility, it makes no sense and just creates endless trouble. Also, if you intend to boot from UEFI/BIOS system, then legacy BIOS configuration should work just fine.
    Use a live session from a 4Gb pendrive, to install to the 64Gb as you would install on harddrive. Previously formatting your pendrive, but I believe Cnchi will format it for you to ext4 before copying the files.
    What I’m trying to say is, treat your USB like an actuall hard drive, and it should install fine.

• So I should choose the option to delete everything and it will allow me to choose my hdd and leave my current hard drive alone? As in the computer hard drive. Then it will proceed to erase, format, and install the complete version of Antergos on it? Then I will be able to use it on most computers?

~Photon

usb57 bios15 installation194 uefi33 boot154 Posts 6Views 2679