• Bug? Filemanager doubts


    If I search in downloads for one of my many downloaded files, it appears. If I drag it onto my desktop it is still visible in the downloads folder with the search still input. This caused me to think the file was copied to the desktop. I would then delete the file from the downloads folder and the desktop file would be deleted together as one file.

    This is quirky to me. I’m assuming it does this in any folder with any files. I’m running gnome but not sure if it’s a gnome thing. If others also see this as a bug, I figured I’d help to report it.

    Thanks for all the work.

  • Hmmm also, if your copying a file and delete it midway, you get an error copying. But wouldn’t it be better to get an error to delete file, stating that the file is currently being used? Idk, constructive criticism?

  • Hi,

    Which file manager are you using?

    For your first error, I think you created a symbolic link and not a copy of the file… (like a windows™ direct access…)

  • Ahh, I see.
    I use PacmanXG, that’s a file manager correct? Or are package and file managers different?
    If not then it’s whatever comes default with Antergos Gnome

  • @λlτεrηιτγ said:

    I use PacmanXG, that’s a file manager correct? Or are package and file managers different?
    If not then it’s whatever comes default with Antergos Gnome

    PacmanXG is a Package Manager aka program to access the package repository of the distro.

    File Managers are applications to access files on your own machine. Since you said you have default GNOME then you have Nautilus as your file manager.

    By default, GNOME + Nautilus doesn’t support moving files to the Desktop, last I checked, did you change that setting in Tweak Tool?

    @karasu

    For your first error, I think you created a symbolic link and not a copy of the file… (like a windows™ direct access…)

    I think that is a very good assessment and agree is likely what happened.

    @λlτεrηιτγ said:

    if your copying a file and delete it midway, you get an error copying. But wouldn’t it be better to get an error to delete file, stating that the file is currently being used?

    I would say no. If you are deleting something then it should let you delete something. There is actually no reason whatsoever to copy something and then delete the original, simply move the file instead of doing that sequence. If you move a file it will not make a copy and there will not be a reason to delete anything and the issue of symlink creation will not be a problem as there would be nothing to delete.

    Some file managers allow you to right click drag a file and then it will ask you want you want to do such as copy, move, etc. Alternatively, you can hold down Shift when you drag a file and that will force a move instead of copy.


    Side note, in the future please provide a better title than “bug?” that is not descriptive at all to the issue you are experiencing.

    Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

  • Sorry, was just trying to contribute to something I thought could be tweaked.

    "By default, GNOME + Nautilus doesn’t support moving files to the Desktop, last I checked, did you change that setting in Tweak Tool?

    @karasu

    For your first error, I think you created a symbolic link and not a copy of the file… (like a windows™ direct access…)"

    I don’t believe I’ve changed this in Tweak Tool or remember seeing that as an option. EDIT: I just looked and there’s no nautilus options or options to change dragged icon behavior in tweak tool.
    When I drag a file from downloads to the desktop, the file does get moved to the desktop. Yet if I searched for it by name first, still stays visible/static as a result of the search input for the title in downloads.

    Anywhere I drag an icon within the system, it moves. gnome must have changed this by default. Only when I drag a file onto an external drive does it copy.

    I do think that dragging a file to move it does make more sense but wasn’t aware that it was the responsibility of gnome and their file manager. For that reason, I’m sorry to have wasted your time here. But thank yous for the responses.


    And the deleting file concern I had I guess may have been influenced by me being used to previous systems. I was just trying to move files to an external hard drive and clean up after myself at the same time.

  • @λlτεrηιτγ said:

    I do think that dragging a file to move it does make more sense but wasn’t aware that it was the responsibility of gnome and their file manager. For that reason, I’m sorry to have wasted your time here. But thank yous for the responses.

    No problem at all, feel free to ask for help for anything and we will do our best.

    @λlτεrηιτγ said:

    And the deleting file concern I had I guess may have been influenced by me being used to previous systems. I was just trying to move files to an external hard drive and clean up after myself at the same time.

    Well on the case of a external drive, it might be better to do a copy first in case the move fails it might corrupt the files. If you just copy then you wont have to worry about failure midmove.

    Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

Posts 7Views 1560
Log in to reply