• \[SOLVED\] smb/cifs share in fstab

I have got this curious problem. In my fstab I created a line for mounting a share on my popcorn a300 to my antergos distro on /mnt/popcorn. When I issue the command sudo mount -a it mounts without any errors so the line should be ok, but at boot it does not mount this share.

Now I have two questions:

1. This is my fstab line, is there something missing which is needed at boot time? (the xxxx are replaced by a valid username and password)
    //192.168.178.27/share /mnt/popcorn cifs username=xxxx,password=xxxx,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm
    I have also tried with a gid=bootz, in front of username which does the trick on ubuntu.
    cifs-utils and smb are installed

2. Which log(s) do I need to examine to see if there are errors or warnings during boot?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

BootZ

Antergos: funny name, serious distro

• I have got this curious problem. In my fstab I created a line for mounting a share on my popcorn a300 to my antergos distro on /mnt/popcorn. When I issue the command sudo mount -a it mounts without any errors so the line should be ok, but at boot it does not mount this share.

Now I have two questions:

1. This is my fstab line, is there something missing which is needed at boot time? (the xxxx are replaced by a valid username and password)
    //192.168.178.27/share /mnt/popcorn cifs username=xxxx,password=xxxx,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm
    I have also tried with a gid=bootz, in front of username which does the trick on ubuntu.
    cifs-utils and smb are installed

2. Which log(s) do I need to examine to see if there are errors or warnings during boot?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

BootZ

• There should be an error in the journal from systemd with details on the mount failure. Alot of times its b/c it tried to mount before the network is up and running. A better way to handle network mounts is to use automount. That will automatically mount the drive upon first access which prevents any potential boot hangs from not establishing the connection on time. Change your fstab entry to this:

//192.168.178.27/share /mnt/popcorn cifs auto,x-systemd.automount,username=,password=,sec=ntlm

That should do the trick! Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:1v80urht said:

Change your fstab entry to this:

//192.168.178.27/share /mnt/popcorn cifs auto,x-systemd.automount,username=,password=,sec=ntlm

That should do the trick! Cheers![/quote:1v80urht]

Wow, that works like a charm, thanks (again)!!

Regards,

Douwe

• @“bootz”:68i1rffl said:

Wow, that works like a charm, thanks (again)!!

Regards,

Douwe[/quote:68i1rffl]

No problem! Glad to help!

Regards,

Posts 5Views 1735