• Firefox/Facebook/Flash issue

My Facebook has suddenly started giving issues using Firefox (not on Chromium) with my mouse pointer sticking showing the loading wheel (not the page loading wheel) & messages saying Flash out of date. Checked & Flash is latest version. Uninstalled & reinstalled Flash & Firefox but still doing it.

Any ideas?

Antergos fully updated & using Gnome 3

• No issues with either browsers for me (just checked it)

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Chromium works fine. I just installed Pale Moon & same issue. Must be something wrong with Flashplugin I guess??

• I really can`t figure it out. I tried both FF & Chromium. For me they both work faultelessly. Have you had this issue long? Maybe it is something temporary?
    The main reason I switched to Chromium as default, was the fact that FF becomes stubborn at times, all out of the blue and for no obvious reasons (unfortun:unamused: ately)…

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• It started yesterday or day before. Screenshot shows my pointer with the loading wheel. If I reload page it stops but if I click anything it starts again.Screenshot from 2015-07-02 10-59-45.png

• BTW just to restate, this is only happening (so far) on my Facebook.

• @Uzi said:

this is only happening (so far) on my Facebook.

Well, Facebook has its ways, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I wouldn`t worry about my browser, if I were you!!!:laughing:

• Same here !

• did you solve it uzi ?

• @Uzi ,
    Install FreshPlayer Plugin, you will also need to have Google Chrome installed to use it though. FreshPlayer allows you to use Google’s PepperFlash inside of Firefox. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freshplayerplugin/

As for Pale Moon, that is still based on Firefox 25 which makes no sense to me at all. If you want a more open Firefox then try IceWeasel.

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• @MichaelTunnell good tip! i didnt know you could do that. honestly wish we could just get rid of flash but that doesnt seem to be happening. if you are gonna use flash though it seems pepper is the way to go.

• @Uzi said:

BTW just to restate, this is only happening (so far) on my Facebook.

well there’s the problem…facebook :smile:

• @MichaelTunnell said:

Install FreshPlayer Plugin, you will also need to have Google Chrome installed to use it though. FreshPlayer allows you to use Google’s PepperFlash inside of Firefox.

Μichael, as far as I know, FreshFlash is a wrapper developed at github . It doesn t offer the security Sandbox offered by Google Chrome. Ssandboxing does not depend directly on the Flash Player but upon how it is incorporated in each browser. Google has developed its own sandboxing but this is not incorporated in this wrapper (freshplayer). This means that if some malware penetrates the security of Adobe Flash Player itself, it will not encounter any other difficulties…
    Also, you don t need to have Coogle Chrome installed. All you need to have is chromium-pepper-flash (which we already have in Antergos), plus
    freshplayerplugin-git from the AUR. Both Flash Player and Fresh Player plugin upgrades will be taken care of by the AUR helper.
    In case one wants Google Chrome installed alongside FF, things get a little complicated.
    -First edit the PKGBUILD of freshplayerplugin-git and remove the dependencies of chromium-pepper-flash.
    -Then, install freshplayerplugin-git.
    Then edit the /etc/freshwrapper.confby changing the route of pepperflash from:
    1pepperflash_path = "/usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"
    to
    1pepperflash_path = "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"

BUT
    Personally. if the outdated ff flashplayer was not good enough for me, I would be sceptical in installing FreshFlash & would rather use Chromium with PepperFlash instead.

• What I know so far. Tried the Freshplayer … same problem. Checked my other PC running Antergos and same issue there too. I was trying out Midori & FB works that & Chromium. Today Midori has started to play up by opening & closing immediately … :open_mouth: Beginning to look like something on an update has caused something to go wrong. Been wanting to give openSUSE a try, so I am installing that on my laptop to see if it has the same problem, if so maybe my ISP is causing it. Will let you know.

• Well openSUSE installed on laptop & with no Flash installed … same problem. So, only conclusion (ignoring Midori playing up) is that it is either a Firefox bug or my ISP not completing the download. Well its now F1 weekend & Silverstone will be getting my attention over Linux for now :thumbsup:

• uzi, i am on gentoo linux, ISP bezeqint, same thing.

• @Stam-Email Is it only on Firefox? What about on Chromium / Chrome?

• sorry for necroposting but this is what is going on right?

Posts 18Views 3912