• Screwed up partitioning and now my Windows installation can't see my 2nd hard drive

I have 2 hard drives; a RAID0 array and a 2nd, regular HD.

I used the Antergos installer to create a 10GB partition on the 2nd HD. When I booted back into Windows, I could no longer see that drive (my “E:” drive).

I was able to mount the drive using the Windows Drive Manager (or whatever it’s called), but it keeps saying I need to format it first, which I obviously don’t want to do.

How can I restore the non-Antergos part of that drive so Windows can use it?

• Windows does not support linux filesystems so that’s why its saying you need to format it. It’s been so long since I used Windows that I don’t recall whether or not Windows will continue to recognize other partitions on the device (NTFS) once a linux partition is added. It should, but I cant say I’d be surprised if it ignored the entire drive after a linux partition is added to it. Did you format the entire drive when you installed Antergos? What partition layout and file systems did you choose?

• @lots.0.logs here’s the layout as far as Windows is concerned:

screenshot.png

I did not format the entire drive; the Linux partition is the first entry, unnamed, with a capacity of 9.54GB. Not sure what filesystem, but I think it was ext4.

The part I want to recover is the “E:\” drive, currently marked as a “RAW” filesystem (and thus it won’t load when I click on it in Windows Explorer).

I started trying to analyze it with TestDisk, but the system crashed after it was ~80% done, after running all night. I assume it takes a long time since it’s a 2TB drive.

I’ll try that again, or maybe try Partition Wizard, though I hate to spend $39 if I can avoid it. Just not sure if it’d be a faster way to fix this.

• Hmm…Boot with the Live ISO Image and post a screenshot of Gparted (its installed in the live environment and can be found in the app menu).

• I agree we’ll be able to tell more from what GParted reports. Did you shrink what windows sees as E: or do that with cnchi during the install? I’m guessing you did it because I think chchi would have put the new partition at the end of the drive. The tool and process used to make the change may help explain what is wrong. I’m wondering if a new partition table has been written. Are you using MBR or GPT on these drives?

• Thanks, everyone. Since I wasn’t sure how to take screenshots, I took screen shots. Low-rent, I know, but sufficient.

@blasphemist - I did not shrink anything prior to using cnchi; I just tried to create a 10GB partition for Antergos, which I presume orphaned the remaining space. Not sure, re: MBR or GPT.

Here are a few screens from Gparted, including one error that popped up twice: Imgur album

• Okay, that was helpful. You just need to format that unknown block using Gparted. If you want to use the space in Windows you should format it as NTFS. Let me know if you have trouble with it. Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs wouldn’t that erase everything I already saved there? (I’d been using it for a couple years, so there’s a bunch of stuff in that space).

• Follow-up question: I understand that cnchi doesn’t support RAID, but I was hoping that the BIOS would expose my RAID drives as a single logical drive and cnchi wouldn’t know the difference (thus I could install Antergos on the faster of my 2 logical drives).

However, this screenshot makes me think that’s not the case. See the 4 drives marked as 119 GB? Those are configured as RAID0+1, and Windows sees those as a single 238 GB drive.

I presume that, if GParted can tell that there are 4 different drives, then I can’t install Antergos on that RAID array. Does that sound reasonable?

If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to install it on the slower 2 TB drive that’s currently having the partition issues.

Thanks!

• Hmm…I think I misunderstood you initially. Did you complete the installation of Antergos successfully? It doesn’t appear that you did from what gparted shows. I think you may have screwed up your partition table on the drive that shows the unallocated and unknown space. You need to use testdisk to restore your partition layout. Here’s a tutorial that will help you through it:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions.

partitioning8 windows37 Posts 10Views 2069