• Hybrid Graphics Configuration

How to optimize graphic cards in Antergos? I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia GeForce GT 635M, I tried to follow this guide:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee

Is this worth it?

When I installed the nvidia driver and ran nvidia-xconf the lightdm began to break everytime and appears as a white screen. I tried to replace it with gdm but still the same issue…

• Did you reboot your computer after you did ‘nvidia-xconf’? Did you use sudo?

• yes and yes. If i didn’t use sudo it wouldn’t write to /etc/X11, i I didn’t reboot or logout the x-server wouldn’t load with the new definitions.

• Only you can know if its worth it as it depends on your performance vs. battery life expectations. Here’s a quick exercise to help figure it out:

1. Battery life is:
      • A. not important to me because I am always near an electrical outlet and I don’t use graphics-intensive apps frequently.
        • STOP HERE: You should install the Nvidia Driver and blacklist the Intel Driver
      • B. important to me because I use my laptop away from an electrical outlet often and/or I use graphics-intensive apps frequently.
        • Continue to next question.
    2. Do you regularly use graphics-intensive applications (eg: Games, Video Encoding, etc)?
      • A. No, I do not play graphics intensive games or encode videos.
      • B. Yes, I play graphics-intensive games and/or encode videos often.
        • Continue to next question.
    3. I want a one-time setup. I don’t want to have to remember to switch between the graphics cards every time I run a program.
      • A. True
        • STOP HERE: You should install the open source driver (nouveau) and the intel driver managed by PRIME
      • B. False
        • STOP HERE: You should install the open source driver (nouveau) and the intel driver managed by Bumblebee

I hope it helps :)

• It helped a lot! I want the option 3-A, my laptop is heating more than usual compared with Win7… I already optimized the cpu using the .i915 kernel modules on startup, it improved a little.

I have a question tough… it isn’t enough to install the nouveau driver to switch automatically between nvidia and intel HD cards? I don’t want to make a list of the applications to run with or without Nvidia.

• AFAICT, you need to install intel driver compiled with DRI3 enabled (its disabled in the Arch package) and then create this file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/dri3.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Intel Graphics"
        Driver "intel"
        Option "DRI" "3"
    EndSection

For programs that you want to use the Nvidia card for you have to edit their .desktop file by prepending the following to the exec line:

DRI_PRIME=1;

Compiling the driver locally will probably take a long time. I’ll try to find the time today to add it to our repo (so you can install it without building it).

Cheers!

• When you have the time please do this, it would really help me and other people.

• I use noveau with prime on my hybrid laptop and it runs cooler than a similar laptop with Windows. I also use Thermald and TLP.

• @Arup-Roy-Chowdhury said:

I use noveau with prime on my hybrid laptop and it runs cooler than a similar laptop with Windows. I also use Thermald and TLP.

what is using nouveau with prime? I installed xf86-video-nouveau package, isn’t that enough. I also installed Thermald, TLP I’m not using.

• I changed my mind and I want to disable NVidia card completely, I can’t deactivate through BIOS. Which is the best way to do this?

Also I don’t know if the heating problem is due to Nvidia. Which is the best application to check all the sensors of my laptop?

Posts 11Views 3000