• How do you use your Antergos installation?

The company I work with, has given mw the opportunity to switch from Windows to .deb based Linux ( *buntus or Debian ). My main usage is through browsers though (web tools mostly), and I’m going to try to convince them that Arch - in my case Antergos - is a viable option. So my question is, how are you using your installation, gaming - multimedia - browsing - work or something else? How old is your installation, key feature is system stability (if one can identify Arch as a stable OS). Finally have you encountered unsolved (major) problems post installation?

• Actually, it is YOU the one you can answer the question. You know best what you want an OS to perform for you. Are you using Antergos or Arch at the monent? If so, give them a try with your job`s requirements so that you can form your own & reliable opinion.
    For a start, before installing, check with a live media (DVD/USB) that the hardware where you are going to use likes the OS. That everything works (sound, keyboard, connectivity, graphics card. Plus anything that you are going to be using at wotk…
    Cheers!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @Noctem said:

So my question is, how are you using your installation, gaming - multimedia - browsing - work or something else? How old is your installation, key feature is system stability (if one can identify Arch as a stable OS). Finally have you encountered unsolved (major) problems post installation?

I am using all of them: gaming (chess), multimedia (watching videos), browsing of course, and also some work-related stuff (the statistic program R). I am having Antergos installed on three computers, all of them roughly since a year. Very stable, no problems.

Do you have full administration rights on the computer of your company? Performing the updates in Debian-based systems is generally like in Windows. It’s sometimes a bit different in Antergos. I remembered three tiny hiccups with updates:

• There was something with Java. I quickly found the workaround described on the Arch page (it was described in this forum too).
    • There was something with keyrings.
    • A few weeks ago there was a unsolved dependency with the Media-Player of mate.

In the first two case there were workarounds described on different websites (Arch or this forum). I typed some commands into the terminal, and after that I was able to perform the updates. In the third case I simply uninstalled the Media-Player of mate and that did the job. Recently I got a fresh MATE version with a fresh media player, although I am not really needing it, because usually I am using VLC.

No big deal, but you should be aware of this.

• I use my installation for development. Works like a charm with my 3x27" (5760x1080). I mostly code python and/or webrelated (such as html, css, etc). From a developer perspective I find it much faster for me to navigate trough bash-terminal rather than on a Windows installation trough PowerShell.

My choise is purely up to me and I like the way Antergos (ArchLinux) is a rolling release, no need to reinstall for a new major release to not lack behind in terms of packages trough repositorys. In ArchLinux I can be sure to always get the latest and greatest for my development tools.

Code is 99% written in SublimeText 3, which is the only none-opensource software I use as my daily driver. If I’d find a similar program, that is opensource and close to ST3 in terms of power and flexibility, I’d change to it. OpenSource is a big part of my business and I promote it even for my customers.

usage6 desktop14 Posts 4Views 1666