• Solid State Drives - Worth the Trouble?

I have been considering upgrading my laptop with a solid state drive, but looking at the Arch wiki on solid state drives, it looks like there is a LOT of considerations to be aware of and possibly a lot of hoops to jump through in order for it to work properly.
    That said, I’d like some opinions from you guys regarding laptop SSDs with Antergos, recommended brands, and any special things I might need to be aware of. Is it really that much trouble for an SSD?

Thanks,

• Much of what’s in the Arch Wiki about SSD’s is old out-dated information. SSD’s have advanced very quickly. When you install Antergos on an SSD, it automatically configures the recommended options for you so there’s no hoops to jump through. I swapped the HDD in my 2nd gen Core i3 laptop almost two years ago. It gave new life to a system I was ready to replace. The difference is very noticeable. So to answer your question…Is it worth it? Absolutely! :smile: As for as brands, I stick with Samsung. They are more expensive but I’ve never had any problems out of the 3 I bought (installed in 3 different systems).

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs What about all the trim stuff? That is automated as well, and Samsung supports it? Outdated info is fun to wade through ;)

• Most of the drives made in the last year include TRIM built-in to the drive itself. Of course the linux kernel also has improved support for it as well. Though its not something to worry about really.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• I don’t see the issue? I use a Corsair Force LX 256GB SSD in my desktop-computer without any issue.

• SSD is a great upgrade. you will notice a difference.

• I think it’s worth. My laptop came with a 20 gb ssd + 500 gb hdd. Windows was installed on the hdd and the entire ssd was a cache partition. Useless configuration I think. I currently use the ssd for / and I must say Antergos handles it pretty well. It’s noticeable.
    The TRIM configuration is for the first ssds that appeared I think. I read a bit about it when I configured it, and I only added nodiratime and norelatime as mount flags on /etc/fstab. This is to reduce write procedures, which are the ones that decrease the lifetime of the drive, but it also stated that without any additional tweaking, the ssd should last its fair amount of years.

• OK, so if I install Antergos, essentially it will autodetect and configure settings, etc for SSD? Do I need to reduce “swapiness” for the drive?

• That’s correct. It will detect the SSD and apply the appropriate configuration. No need to reduce swappiness in regards to the SSD. Though, for systems with 8GB or more of RAM, I’d recommend reducing swappiness just because its not needed.

• Alright, I bought a Toshiba 256GB SSD (only cost me $40 out of pocket after using Best Buy reward zone points) and have installed it in my laptop, and clean installed Antergos.

I have installed and started TLP.

Anything else, or just use as normal and not worry about it?

I gotta say, I’m impressed. Cold boot to login in about 2 seconds.

• I have been running Arch for 2 years on a Samsung 830 without any issue , Smart check is fine and it worth it…But there is this recent news about new Samsung ssd drive issues on linux to follow:
    https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

• Hi
    I use a Sandisk SSD of 64Gb where the system is installed. I bought it 2 years ago. The data and swap partitions are on the HDD. The difference in booting time is huge. Applications start more quickly but the gain in speed is not as spectacular. I have enough memory and a recent CPU which also contribute to the overall performance.
    I don’t like Samsung by principle.
    Enjoy your upgrade !

• The boot speed and system response alone is worth the investment along with RAM upgrade. Two of my Thinkpad 220s got a new lease of life with SSD. Same with my i7 desktop. I use the smallest one and back all my data to an external NAS drive. For me 128gb is good enough.

• I’m very pleased with it so far. Yes, boot time and responsiveness is astounding.

Posts 14Views 3087