• What is Antergos Exactly ?

Some people say for antergos easy to install arch, some people it’s arch but it has it’s own repos. Some people says antergos is similar with ubuntu and manjaro is similar with mint.

So, What is exactly antergos, are there any difference to install and tweak arch linux ? Which is better, installing arch from evo installer or give a try to antergos ?

I don’t wanna use xfce. So, I don’t wanna use manjaro. Beacuse it’s gnome edition is so legacy. I use ubuntu in my computer now. What should I do ?

• @Ali-Tolga-Özbaş said:

Some people say for antergos easy to install arch
    Well, yes, it is. At least talking about myself, no problems installing Antergos in 4 different machines. :ok_hand:

@Ali-Tolga-Özbaş said:

some people it’s arch but it has it’s own repos.

Antergos is a rolling release and utilizes Arch Linux official repositories and the AUR, plus one of its own, mainly for its configuration.:thumbsup:

@Ali-Tolga-Özbaş said:

Some people says antergos is similar with ubuntu and manjaro is similar with mint.

Can`t understand the comparison. In which sense?:question:

@Ali-Tolga-Özbaş said:

are there any difference to install and tweak arch linux ?

Yes, there is. It takes time to make it look as elegant as Antergos!!!:laughing:

@Ali-Tolga-Özbaş said:

Which is better, installing arch from evo installer or give a try to antergos ?

This is up to you to decide. Evo/Lution will give you a ready basic Arch system and leaves the rest for you to install and configure. But so does Antergos if you use its mini iso.:thumbsup:

@Ali-Tolga-Özbaş said:

I use ubuntu in my computer now. What should I do ?

If you look at my signature, so am I. I came from the buntu world. Notice that I kept Ubuntu BUT as my secondary choice. I`ve been using Antergos for some 1.5 years now and I find it a better choice for my everyday computing. Always bleeding edge, fast as a rocket, stable, elegant, customizable, with a friendly community and the devs participating actively in this… :clap:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch said:

This is up to you to decide. Evo/Lution will give you a ready basic Arch system and leaves the rest for you to install and configure. But so does Antergos if you use its mini iso.:thumbsup:

The installed system is exactly the same no matter which ISO you use. The Minimal ISO simply offers a smaller initial download size because it doesn’t include a Live environment (which has no affect on your installed system). :wink:

• @anarch

-Some people says antergos is similar with ubuntu and manjaro is similar with mint.

-Can`t understand the comparison. In which sense?:question:

Because, ubuntu is like easy to use debian. Debian aims experienced users and system admins. But Ubuntu aims new comers. Antergos aimed people who want to try arch with no knowledge. No knowledge = Newcomer. So, Ubuntu = Antergos.

Mint is like modified ubuntu with it’s own tools like mdm, cinnamon, mint software center end it’s own repositories. Even some people say mint is more stable than ubuntu, and the same people say Manjaro is more stable than arch (So, Antergos). Manjaro has it’s own hardware detection tools, and if you remember right manjaro was using mdm. I don’t know what is it using now.

• @lots.0.logs said:

The installed system is exactly the same no matter which ISO you use. The Minimal ISO simply offers a smaller initial download size because it doesn’t include a Live environment (which has no affect on your installed system).

Oh, sorry. I thought it just gave you a flexible, basic startup system to complete…:blush:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Ok, I can see your point @Ali-Tolga-Özbaş .
    No, this is not a fair comparison. Ubuntu is Debian-based but it uses its own repos. Mint is also using Ubuntu`s repos. And they both, on the way “modify” their “mother” distro.
    Antergos, on the other hand, uses directly all the Arch repos. They don t change anything. They only keep a repo of their own, but this is, as I told you already, used mainly to “decorate”, to configure the system.
    They don t change Arch in any way, like for instance, Manjaro does.:thumbsup:

• Which is better, installing arch from evo installer or give a try to antergos ?

Installing Antergos is easy, the process is similar like for instance Mint or Ubuntu. You can choose your preferred desktop during the installation process. Personally I prefer MATE. I did not have any serious problems with Antergos on three computers for one year.

Two weeks ago I got a fourth computer, an EEEBox EB1012 (Intel Atom 330, 3 GB RAM). A perfect device in order to test some distros.

Out of curiosity I gave the Evo/Lution Arch installer a try. Probably the installation can be classified as easy compared to the conventional Arch installation but definitely not easy for a Linux beginner. Even installing Debian is a piece of cake compared to the installation routine of Evo/Lution. I made my way through it and rebooted expecting the best, but Grub started and then the screen froze without any message.
    I had no problem installing several distros (Antergos Openbox, Debian MATE, Mageia XfcE, Linux Mint Debian Mate and Ubuntu Mate). Currently I am running Fedora 22 MATE on the EEEBox.

• I use Antergos because I find “The Arch Way” pointless. I’d rather automate the process then do it manually whenever I want to set up a system. When setting up a new vm all I need to do on Antergos is feed the installer a package list, boom done. Saying Ubuntu is Antergos is just wrong, there’s no similarity. Ubuntu/Debian may be stable but they aren’t up to date.

same people say Manjaro is more stable than arch

Manjaro does not use Arch repo’s which is a delayed update. If a security update comes out I would want it asap. When they posted a news announcement for moving back the clock due to ssl it showed me how they care about security.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @Wyn said:

I use Antergos because I find “The Arch Way” pointless. I’d rather automate the process then do it manually whenever I want to set up a system. When setting up a new vm all I need to do on Antergos is feed the installer a package list, boom done. Saying Ubuntu is Antergos is just wrong, there’s no similarity. Ubuntu/Debian may be stable but they aren’t up to date.

same people say Manjaro is more stable than arch

Manjaro does not use Arch repo’s which is a delayed update. If a security update comes out I would want it asap. When they posted a news announcement for moving back the clock due to ssl it showed me how they care about security.

+1

Autodidacta en la VIDA …y en Linux, también.

Posts 9Views 4642