• apacman - cannot install packages due to no space (there is actually 30GB free)

I try :
    apacman -S telegram-desktop

The error message is :
    /usr/bin/apacman: line 241: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device
    (23) Failed writing body

Aur Targets (1): telegram-desktop
    :: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y

Edit telegram-desktop PKGBUILD with $editor? [Y/n] n
    Edit telegram-desktop.install with $editor? [Y/n] n
    ==> Making package: telegram-desktop 0.8.24-1 (Thu Jun 18 13:07:28 IST 2015)
    ==> Checking runtime dependencies…
    ==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
    ==> Retrieving sources…
    -> Downloading telegram-desktop-0.8.24.tar.xz…
    ** Resuming transfer from byte position 212992
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- 0:00:01 --:–:-- 0curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 16085)
    ==> ERROR: Failure while downloading telegram-desktop-0.8.24.tar.xz
    Aborting…
    -> Status built (1): telegram-desktop

Same happens with other packages.

• @blazzer-fire

Same when using pacman

sudo pacman -S mediainfo-gui
    warning: warning given when extracting .INSTALL (Write failed)
    (2/2) installing mediainfo-gui [######################] 100%
    error: could not copy tempfile to /tmp/alpm_7sFwAJ/.INSTALL (No space left on device)

When I try : pacman -Syyu
    It gives an error : error: GPGME error: No data

• Hi,

Have you rebooted your system recently? If not, then doing so should resolve the issue. The issue is actually that your /tmp was full. It’s limited to half the amount of your system’s RAM.

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs

This is really a PITA if you’re working in a low memory system. I’ve got lots of problems compiling some programs from AUR because of this. I even learned that it’s systemd who now creates the /tmp directory in memory.

I’ll check if there is an easy way to revert this and use it in low mem systems.

Cheers!

• @karasu In this case all that would be needed is a small change to /etc/makepkg.conf

sudo echo "BUILDDIR=/var/tmp/makepkg" >> /etc/makepkg.conf

Cheers!

• Hi karasu,

I know this topic is old but I’m having the same memory issue in 2016 trying to install telegram-desktop on an older laptop with 4GB of memory and similar of swap. I’m in the process of trying your makepkg.conf amendment so we’ll see how it goes (it takes a while).
    Question is, will that /var/tmp directory clear on reboot along with other tmp directories or will I have to do it manually?

Many thanks.

apacman1 nofreespace1 Posts 6Views 1723
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.