• apacman - cannot install packages due to no space (there is actually 30GB free)

I try :
    apacman -S telegram-desktop

The error message is :
    /usr/bin/apacman: line 241: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device
    (23) Failed writing body

Aur Targets (1): telegram-desktop
    :: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y

Edit telegram-desktop PKGBUILD with $editor? [Y/n] n
    Edit telegram-desktop.install with $editor? [Y/n] n
    ==> Making package: telegram-desktop 0.8.24-1 (Thu Jun 18 13:07:28 IST 2015)
    ==> Checking runtime dependencies…
    ==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
    ==> Retrieving sources…
    -> Downloading telegram-desktop-0.8.24.tar.xz…
    ** Resuming transfer from byte position 212992
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- 0:00:01 --:–:-- 0curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 16085)
    ==> ERROR: Failure while downloading telegram-desktop-0.8.24.tar.xz
    Aborting…
    -> Status built (1): telegram-desktop

Same happens with other packages.

• @blazzer-fire

Same when using pacman

sudo pacman -S mediainfo-gui
    warning: warning given when extracting .INSTALL (Write failed)
    (2/2) installing mediainfo-gui [######################] 100%
    error: could not copy tempfile to /tmp/alpm_7sFwAJ/.INSTALL (No space left on device)

When I try : pacman -Syyu
    It gives an error : error: GPGME error: No data

• Hi,

Have you rebooted your system recently? If not, then doing so should resolve the issue. The issue is actually that your /tmp was full. It’s limited to half the amount of your system’s RAM.

Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs

This is really a PITA if you’re working in a low memory system. I’ve got lots of problems compiling some programs from AUR because of this. I even learned that it’s systemd who now creates the /tmp directory in memory.

I’ll check if there is an easy way to revert this and use it in low mem systems.

Cheers!

• @karasu In this case all that would be needed is a small change to /etc/makepkg.conf

sudo echo "BUILDDIR=/var/tmp/makepkg" >> /etc/makepkg.conf

Cheers!

• Hi karasu,

I know this topic is old but I’m having the same memory issue in 2016 trying to install telegram-desktop on an older laptop with 4GB of memory and similar of swap. I’m in the process of trying your makepkg.conf amendment so we’ll see how it goes (it takes a while).
    Question is, will that /var/tmp directory clear on reboot along with other tmp directories or will I have to do it manually?

Many thanks.

nofreespace1 apacman1 Posts 6Views 1585