• Trouble installing

Hey all, I’ve been trying to install on my laptop, a 2013 Lenovo T430 attempting to install on a 120GB Crucial M500 SSD, if that matters.

Without updating cnchi, and doing nothing after loading from my USB stick, I get “Error creating a new partition table on device /dev/sda”

When I try updating the packages by running “sudo pacman -Syy,” then “sudo pacman -Syu,” to update cnchi, it fails to open, just sitting there for a few seconds loading before it disappears in the Gnome Application menu. Sometimes the Gnome Desktop even crashes after cnchi fails to load. When this happens the applications button disappears from the dock, and the minimize and close buttons on the terminal disappear too. I would post my /tmp file but I can’t open nautilus either no applications open at this point I’ve tried running “yaourt pacman -Sy cnchi.”

I try opening cnchi from the terminal with “sudo cnchi.” (Sorry for the phone picture I couldn’t open nautilus to copy the screenshot and I’m using imgur because the photo is too large to post here. Hopefully it’s readable.) The terminal reads:
    http://imgur.com/share/i/pmq413Z

Is there anything else I can try?

P.S. Thanks for developing Antergos, I managed to get it installed just a few days ago with everything running on my desktop and it’s pretty much exactly what I need in a linux distro.

• cant access the terminal output image from imgur, you can attach the images directly here.

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• “Without updating cnchi, and doing nothing after loading from my USB stick, I get “Error creating a new partition table on device /dev/sda””

This error is exactly what I’m also getting. My Cnchi updated automatically shortly after the login to 0.8.137 (see video). The hardware seems more likely not to be the reason for this error now, at least not in the sense that it is broken(?) I’m also using 120GB SSD, but a different brand and I’m using a Bay Trail NUC, but what’s the USB stick you are using, maybe it’s the same as mine?

• @Sunsearcher Maybe our SSDs are using the same controller or something then. I managed to get Antergos to install before on another 240GB Crucial SSD in my desktop after having the same issue though. I thought I remembered updating cnchi and the problem being solved.

@Yash I wasn’t able to upload the photo to the forum because of an error earlier, it’s saying the photo is too large. (I tried shrinking the file size without success already.)

Here’s what the terminal read after running sudo cnchi:
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo cnchi
    Error in sitecustomize set PYTHONVERBOSE for traceback:
    OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages’
    Error in usercustomize; set PYTHONVERBOSE for traceback:
    OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages’
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/cnchi.py/”, line 34, in <module>
    import gettext
    File “/usr/lib/python3.4/gettext.py”, line 49, in <module>
    File “/usr/lib/python3.4/copy.py”, line 61, in <module>
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 2237, in _find_and_load
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 2222, in _find_and_load_unlocked
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 2164, in _find_spec
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 1940, in find_spec
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 1914, in _get_spec
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 2026, in find_spec
    File “<frozen importlib._bootstrap>”, line 2065, in _fill_cache
    OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: ‘/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages’
    [[email protected] ~]$

• Then I think the SSD is likely not the issue. My USB stick is SanDisk Extreme 16GB (as can be seen in the beginning of the vid). Cnchi updated to the latest v0.8.137 and I tried many times but still the same error. Also, I don’t have any issues installing any other distro I tried, I’m not the only one with this error, so I think it’s Antergos’s problem.

• if you use the latest stable ISO try this : cnchi-dev --force it will pass the partitioning successfully but may fails at the end of the installation sometimes it depends on your luck

• @han2007 It’s like like my case , too . Everything was fine and almost at the end …

• @han2007 said:

if you use the latest stable ISO try this : cnchi-dev --force it will pass the partitioning successfully but may fails at the end of the installation sometimes it depends on your luck

It really has nothing to do with luck. In most cases, the failure is caused by bad mirrors. Though there’s always a chance that there is a bug that we have not caught yet. The only way we can identify and fix such bugs is if users include their installer log in a post to the forum. We have plans to make the process of reporting failures much easier (automatic) in future versions of cnchi. Though for now we rely on our users to report their failures and include the log with that report.

Cheers!

• @han2007 @Sunsearcher I booted into the Live USB, opened the terminal, and ran “sudo pacman -Syy” and "cnchi-dev --force"
    Worked fantastic, thanks @han2007! I’ve been trying for days, now I can get on with setting up my system again!

• @anterghost i’m really glad that i could help

• @lots.0.logs said:

@han2007 said:

if you use the latest stable ISO try this : cnchi-dev --force it will pass the partitioning successfully but may fails at the end of the installation sometimes it depends on your luck

It really has nothing to do with luck. In most cases, the failure is caused by bad mirrors. Though there’s always a chance that there is a bug that we have not caught yet. The only way we can identify and fix such bugs is if users include their installer log in a post to the forum. We have plans to make the process of reporting failures much easier (automatic) in future versions of cnchi. Though for now we rely on our users to report their failures and include the log with that report.

Why does Cnchi need internet in the first place? Because a bad mirror can happen all the time, the issue should be handled by either to be able to install without internet connection (the ISO is 1.6GB, shouldn’t all the packages be already there anyway?), or one should be able to turn off the requirement for an active internet connection. (oh and don’t forget – another issue: Cnchi should display in an error message where log file is located, so that no devs would need to post “post your log file from /tmp” in each first forum post reply)

@han2007, will try that later, thanks.

• @Sunsearcher said:

Why does Cnchi need internet in the first place? Because a bad mirror can happen all the time, the issue should be handled by either to be able to install without internet connection (the ISO is 1.6GB, shouldn’t all the packages be already there anyway?)

Because of its rolling release nature. There must only the latest versions be used, which are downloaded during the instalation proccess…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch said:

@Sunsearcher said:

Why does Cnchi need internet in the first place? Because a bad mirror can happen all the time, the issue should be handled by either to be able to install without internet connection (the ISO is 1.6GB, shouldn’t all the packages be already there anyway?)

Because of its rolling release nature. There must only the latest versions be used, which are downloaded during the instalation proccess…

I see no disadvantage installing the latest versions after the installation, only advantages: no errors any more and installation would at least finish. Also there are situations where one needs to do a clean install but doesn’t have a internet connection at the moment (or an extremely slow one).

• @Sunsearcher said:

I see not disadvantage installing the latest versions after the installation

Well, you have some point, BUT are you sure that if you tried the latest iso a month from now (or even longer) and then updated your system, this wouldn`t break your system if there was a massive load of updates/upgrades?
    It would not be a problem to refresh my Ubuntu 14.04 instalation using my 15 month old iso.
    But in Arch things are different. Just remember that it is advisable that you update your system no later than every week (personally I update daily) if you don t want to run into problems…:smile:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch said:

@Sunsearcher said:

I see not disadvantage installing the latest versions after the installation

Well, you have some point, BUT are you sure that if you tried the latest iso a month from now (or even longer) and then updated your system, this wouldn`t break your system if there was a massive load of updates/upgrades?
    It would not be a problem to refresh my Ubuntu 14.04 instalation using my 15 month old iso.
    But in Arch things are different. Just remember that it is advisable that you update your system no later than every week (personally I update daily) if you don t want to run into problems…:smile:

And you have a point here too. I thought so that frequent updates are more critical in Arch due to a rolling release cycle, but because there is at all no guarantee that a month old system-update will destroy the system, there should at least be a parameter ($cnchi --no-connection) or maybe even something visible in Cnchi GUI (disabled by default) to be able to install without needed internet connection.

• @Sunsearcher said:

because there is at all no guarantee that a month old system-update will destroy the system, there should at least be a parameter ($cnchi --no-connection) or maybe even something visible in Cnchi GUI (disabled by default) to be able to install without needed internet connection.

I don`t think any of the devs would like to take the risk on something not guaranted, as you said. Plus the extra burden of requests of broken systems because of this kind of installation.
    But this is a question for them to answer (as long as such a parameter is technically possible, that is)…

• This question has been answered several times here in the forum. You should be able to find the answer with a quick search ;-)

Cheers!

Posts 17Views 4274