• \[SOLVED\] Freezing the screen.

Hello,

I recently noticed that when I use the system whole screen freezes but the sound goes normally.
    The whole situation takes about 1-2 minutes.
    Someone had a similar problem or know how to get rid of it?

sorry for my english.

• Hello,

I recently noticed that when I use the system whole screen freezes but the sound goes normally.
    The whole situation takes about 1-2 minutes.
    Someone had a similar problem or know how to get rid of it?

sorry for my english.

• Hello! Just to clarify, do you mean to say this happens when you play videos fullscreen? If yes, are you using the default video player or a different option? Also, in which desktop environment is this occurring? Lastly, please provide a short description of your system (eg: Core i5, Intel Graphics, 4GB RAM)

• Hi,

It Happens no matter what I do.
    video, browser either alone libre office.
    Currently I’m using Gnome 3.8.4
    My hardware:
    CPU: i5 520M
    Graphics: 330M GeForece
    RAM: 8 GB

At some point, the screen stops.

• This almost sounds like a hardware problem.

This may not help but, if it were me in the same situation, I would open the case and re-seat the video card (pull it out, and then put it back in).

All the best in getting this fixed as I know how frustration this can be.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• Hi,

Unfortunately, taking out and plugging the graphics card is not an option because I have a laptop.
    I use the nouveau driver. I remember that from Fedora Nvidia drivers had problems with two monitors. At the beginning of the installation AOS everything worked fine.

• So Rico, does the live image run fine?

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• Yes, the live image works fine. I would have preferred to avoid reinstalling system.

• @“rico”:2lv96w1o said:

Hi,

It Happens no matter what I do.
    video, browser either alone libre office.
    Currently I’m using Gnome 3.8.4
    My hardware:
    CPU: i5 520M
    Graphics: 330M GeForece
    RAM: 8 GB

At some point, the screen stops.[/quote:2lv96w1o]

I am still not completely sure I understand exactly what is happening here. When you say the screen stops, does that mean your shell has frozen and you are unable to move the mouse and it does not respond to keyboard commands? If you could post a copy of your log output from the journal, xsession errors file, and xorg log.

Journal saved to a file: "sudo journalctl -b -m > ~/journal.log"
    Xorg Log is at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Possibly will have a file name “.xsession-errors” in your home dir.

Regards,

• Hi,

You’re right, everything stops but I can move (only) the cursor.

[journal.log[/url:2yizvrha]
    [Xorg.0.log[/url:2yizvrha]

I do not have .xsession-errors

Regards,]1]0

• In the same tty where you got your logs, could you update your system to check if it was a puntual problem with some package?

sudo pacman -Syu

• @“rico”:18923c6z said:

Hi,

You’re right, everything stops but I can move (only) the cursor.

[journal.log[/url:18923c6z]
    [Xorg.0.log[/url:18923c6z]

I do not have .xsession-errors

Regards,[/quote:18923c6z]

I had only a second to skim over your logs. Let’s get rid of the modemmanager errors that are filling up your journal. First ensure you have the “modemmanager” package installed. Then run “sudo systemctl enable ModemManager” and restart your system. That will stop all that garbage in your journal and make it easier to find any potential issues. I will have more time this evening to look into this further.

Regards,]1]0

• ok,
    This is a new file:

[new_journal[/url:l6iemfyr]

Regards,]0

• Was this log taken after you experienced the hang?

• No, after I enable ModemManager.

• That’s what I figured from reading them. I should have explained this is my last post to save time, sorry.

sudo journalctl -b \> ~/journal.boot  
    sudo journalctl -m \> ~/journal.session

Regards,

• Hi,

I put the files after freezing. File containing the logs of the session is quite large, about 23 MB.

[journal.boot[/url:vx0r0809]
    [journal.session[/url:vx0r0809]

Regards,]1]0

• Hi,

Are you using Nvidia binary drivers or nouveau ?

The binary should be ok to use.

Now concerning strange / to bad rendering , recently with the upgrade to gnome 3.10 there were a lot of issues about flickerin screens, pcs refusing to reboot etc…

The simple solution that was found is to reinstall gnome.

pacman -S gnome

I am not sure it will solve your issue but you can give it a go.

Sincerely,

Ilia Koltsov

• I see from your logs that you are using the open source nouveau driver. I am not very familiar with the status of of Nvidia drivers because I have intel chips on all my systems. I did see quite a few posts from users reporting system hangs and hard freezes while 3D hardware acceleration was enabled. If you do not use your system to play any graphics intensive games you could disable the hardware acceleration and see if you notice a difference. (add ‘nouveau.noaccel=1’ to the grub kernel command line) Another thing you could switch to using the closed source Nvidia driver to see if it works better with your setup. I have some links that should be useful. Please let me know if you have any questions!

[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau][1]
    [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA][2]

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau
    [2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

• Hi,

I apologize to everyone, but I wanted to make sure that in the next post I write, the fault has been removed.
    At the moment there is no sign of the previously described problems. It helped reinstall the gnome as advised iliakoltsov.

As for the drivers far to withhold. with Fedora because I have bad experiences with two monitors with different screen resolutions has been extended to 3286 x 1080 which resulted in a smaller screen that was not able to see this area in the vertical direction.

Posts 20Views 2623