• Antergos ArchBang OpenBox Collaboration

Decided to make a thread to talk about a collaboration between archbang and antergos
    http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=5387

• Pablokal is not a fan of the idea at all…

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• I’m not planning of take over Archbang, so if they don’t feel like doing this, no problem ;)

Let’s see what we can agree on.

Cheers!

• @karasu if anything wouldnt it be the other way around? archbang maintaining antergos openbox?
    maybe we can come together on a antergos archbang version and they could also have a systemd free version.

lets face it openbox isnt the most popular desktop out there. there many dedicated users out there though. ive seen other openbox distros come and go. crunchbang has been dropped even though i know some of the community are working on versions of it now. Manjaro used to have a offical openbox and that got dropped. they have a community version but not sure how much its being updated. i know there are a few other smaller openbox distros out there based on debian.

pooling resources makes most sense to me.

• I really would love to see that happened but I have feeling that it will not. Their is already comments on how Antergos isn’t enough close to ArchBang, or ArchBang might die.

How is that really bad if ArchBang come to die in the future but all the man power merge in with Antergos ? We would save all their work and knowledge isn’t that the most important thing ? Plus one of the main devs if nit the main is working on 2 distros I don’t think that can lead to good thing in the long run. And is it that bad if ArchBang name is lost one day in the process ? it is just a name after all ! Isn’t the manpower and knowledge more important ? An why not create a new name wo no one “win” ?

How is that bad if Antergos isn’t the same philosophy as ArchBang ? Woulnd’t it be great if the two can mix to be a better one on a Arch based OpenBox distro ? Antergos isn’t as lightweight as ArchBang an OpenBox user in general want a lightweight system ? why not work together to make Antergos OpenBox as lightweight as possible and lette other DE be heavier ?

And what with all that trend of system.d free thningy ?

I’m not against ArchBang I’m just asking thing that for me seam logical but not necesarly to everyone.

Long Live Antergos
    [Major Linux Problems on the Desktop or Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop, 2016 edition] (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html)

• From MrGreen:

I do find it difficult to maintain two isos but still want ArchBang to continue. Think Antergos-Openbox is the way to go can certainly lend any help or support for getting a very ArchBang like system up and running.

A very ArchBang like system up and running. So if I understand right, the idea would be to “convert” our Openbox version to be as much as archbang as possible, and I agree with this. I do not know if this would mean the dead of Archbang as some are saying (and this is not what I want).

archbang maintaining antergos openbox?

Nope. They don’t have the will or the manpower to do this. I’m hoping that somebody at the Archbang forum will step up and help me to mix both setups… let’s wait and see.

Manjaro used to have a offical openbox and that got dropped. they have a community version but not sure how much its being updated

If I’m not wrong, they managed to build an openrc version (systemd free). Which is not what we want at all.

All these “drops” are because many of these projects are one man project and maintaining a project this big by yourself is tiresome (to say the least). In the end people gets tired and focus on other things. And that could be true for some Antergos desktops at some point, being Openbox one of the most “abandoned” ones. As I’m working hard on the installer, this leaves no room for me to improve the Openbox version.

• I’d love to be the openbox maintainer for Antergos but there are two problems

1. I’m not a programmer xD
    2. I don’t use Openbox xD

Archlinux x64

AMD A4-3305M Processor
    6GB RAM
    1GB+512MB Hybrid AMD GPU

• @Yash

I’m not a programmer

Who cares? You don’t need to be one.

I don’t use Openbox

So why are you asking? xD

• @karasu im not a programmer either but i have many years of experience using and customizing openbox. would love to help in any way possible.

• Thanks @megaman

What we need is two things atm:

• Find if there’re any bugs or things that do not work from the current setup. I recall some “complains” from a user a long time ago but I did not have the time to sort them out then.
    • What can we improve? And more important, is there really anything that needs to improve? ;)

I’ll be using Openbox in a more regular basis from now on, I hope this will help.

Cheers!

• @karasu said:

@Yash

I’m not a programmer

Who cares? You don’t need to be one.

So what are the prerequisites to becoming a maintainer?? I was a distrohopper, but with Antergos I have become a desktophopper! Was always in love with Crunchbang but haven’t used Openbox recently, mostly GTK desktops, but I am tempted to give it a try.

• @karasu said:

• What can we improve? And more important, is there really anything that needs to improve? ;)

For the most part the current openbox configuration is great! Of course I have a mild preference for thunar over pcmanfm but I can change that easily.

The one thing I would like, and it is a broader Antergos rather than an openbox specific suggestion, is easier installation of proprietary graphics drivers (a la Manajaro). Also, lightdm seems to be severely broken for many systems so why stick with it? Again, this is a broader Antergos issue.

• This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
Posts 30Views 8090