• A couple of issues after installation

Background: I am not new to linux however, I am new to arch/antergos. I had some problems with my ubuntu installation so I decided to check out something new. I am on a samsung laptop that has an i5 and a hybrid amd radeon hd 7550m GPU.

Issue 1: I had already installed fglrx in my ubuntu installation but, now i can’t find a proper tutorial on how to install the proprietary drivers on arch. I would appriciate it if someone posted a step by step tutorial.

Issue 2: My laptop fan spins at 80% to 100% all the time, and the CPU temps. are very high. I have installed i7z and thermald, but I don’t know what to do next.

Thanks in advanced for any response.

Edit: Ooh almost forgot; I want to install some light game sfrom steam, like portal, l4d2, or tf2.

• Hi, welcome to Antergos :smile:

To install the catalyst driver:

1. Add the following to the end of /etc/pacman.conf
    [catalyst]
    Server = http://catalyst.wirephire.com/repo/catalyst/$arch
    ## Mirrors, if the primary server does not work or is too slow:
    #Server = http://70.239.162.206/catalyst-mirror/repo/catalyst/$arch
    #Server = http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/archlinux-catalyst/repo/catalyst/$arch
    #Server = http://mirror.hactar.bz/Vi0L0/catalyst/$arch

1. Run these commands:
    su
    pacman -Syyu
    # If pacman asks you about removing a package conflict, choose **YES**
    pacman -S catalyst-hook catalyst-utils-pxp
    mkinitcpio -p linux

1. The wiki has a lot of information regarding how to configure the driver here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst#Configuring_the_driver

For the fan issue try installing the samsung-tools package from the AUR. It should include a kernel module and some commandline tools to get your fans in order: yaourt -S samsung-tools

I hope it helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers!

• @lots.0.logs Thanks so much for the reply. sorry I didn’t answer earlier; screw timezones! Will test your suggestions as soon as i access to my laptop. :)

• @lots.0.logs So I just tried the samsung tools and its great, Thanks! But for fglrx, here’s what I did and what I got:

I ran pacman -Syyu as root and got the following:

error: catalyst: key "ABED422D653C3094" is unknown
    error: key "ABED422D653C3094" could not be looked up remotely
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     core                     122.6 KiB   309K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
     extra                   1737.0 KiB   450K/s 00:04 [######################] 100%
     community                  2.7 MiB   498K/s 00:06 [######################] 100%
     antergos                 407.6 KiB   230K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
     catalyst                  12.2 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
     catalyst.sig             287.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
    error: catalyst: key "ABED422D653C3094" is unknown
    error: key "ABED422D653C3094" could not be looked up remotely
    error: failed to update catalyst (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
    error: database 'catalyst' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

Also this messed up a lot of things, whenever I try to install a package I get "Invalid or corrupted database"
    So I removed the catalyst repository from /etc/pacman.conf, and that solved the issue but i can’t install catalyst.

• You can add the key to your keyring like this:

sudo pacman-key -r ABED422D653C3094
    sudo pacman-key --lsign ABED422D653C3094

That should take care of the key error!

• @lots.0.logs That doesn’t work, when I run sudo pacman-key -r ABED422D653C3094 I get:

gpg: connecting dirmngr at '/root/.gnupg/S.dirmngr' failed: IPC connect call failed
    gpg: keyserver receive failed: No dirmngr
    ==> ERROR: Remote key not fetched correctly from keyserver.

• @xpron said:

gpg: connecting dirmngr at ‘/root/.gnupg/S.dirmngr’ failed:

Hmm…Is your system fully up-to-date? This should fix it so you can use the commands in my previous post:

su
    touch /root/.gnupg/dirmngr_ldapservers.conf
     dirmngr </dev/null

• @lots.0.logs Apperently I don’t have a file 'dirmngr_ldapservers.conf’
    If I run touch /root/.gnupg/dirmngr_ldapservers.conf''' I gettouch: cannot touch ‘/root/.gnupg/dirmngr_ldapservers.conf’: No such file or directory```

so I ran dirmngr </dev/null and got:

dirmngr[12723.0]: error opening '/root/.gnupg/dirmngr_ldapservers.conf': No such file or directory
    dirmngr[12723.0]: permanently loaded certificates: 0
    dirmngr[12723.0]:     runtime cached certificates: 0
    dirmngr[12723.0]: failed to open cache dir file '/root/.gnupg/dirmngr-cache.d/DIR.txt': No such file or directory
    dirmngr[12723.0]: creating directory '/root/.gnupg'
    dirmngr[12723.0]: creating directory '/root/.gnupg/dirmngr-cache.d'
    dirmngr[12723.0]: new cache dir file '/root/.gnupg/dirmngr-cache.d/DIR.txt' created
    # Home: ~/.gnupg
    # Config: [none]
    OK Dirmngr 2.1.5 at your service

Yes, my system is up-to-date, software update hasn’t asked me to insatll anything. Just checked.
    Sorry if this is causing too much hassle, but I really like the power of arch and would like to stick to Antergos. Thanks. :)

• Okay do this:

su
    mkdir /root/.gnupg
    touch /root/.gnupg/dirmngr_ldapservers.conf
    dirmngr </dev/null
    pacman-key -r ABED422D653C3094
    pacman-key --lsign ABED422D653C3094

• @lots.0.logs
    Works like a charm thanks so much!
    If I create a shell script on the installation of fglrx will you review it?

• @xpron

Sure. We actually have a python script on the wiki though I’m not sure if it needs updating :grimacing:

• @lots.0.logs Oh ok then, I did try the scrip and it didn’t work for me, that’s why I thought it needed updating. But I guess its because I just didn’t have the key added (Does everyone have the key but me?)
    Anyways I will write the script and say it’s for Hybrind gpu’s. I’m also changing the post to solved. Thanks so much. :)

Posts 12Views 2902