• Show your desktop

@piotr said in Show your desktop:

@joekamprad As I said:

Initially I checked lots of themes, but landed back on this one, which is eyes-friendly. 8 hours in front of monitors at the office, and 4-5 more at home stopped me from using dark themes. Much easier to buy a new laptop battery than new eyes.

Interresting.
    I intentionally use dark themes, cause light ones overstress my eyes quite fast.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Show your desktop:

I intentionally use dark themes, cause light ones overstress my eyes quite fast.

With my eye defect, the pupil must be shrunk to catch the focus. When the pupil is shrunken, I need more light.

• Minimalistic Xfce - Vertical Space

0_1515385701343_screenshot.png

https://i.imgur.com/EzRxW9R.png

• WM Theme: Stoneage
    • Theme: Numix-Frost-Light [GTK2], Arc]
    • Icons: Faenza-Darker [GTK2], Arc [GT]
    • Wallpaper: https://www.pexels.com/photo/blue-dark-night-ocean-513373/
    • Dock: Docky with transparent settings (Update: I now use Plank dock to save some RAM)
    • Panel: vertical on the left to optimize the vertical space for web browsing
    • Plugins and notification areas: top left corner
    • Menu: bottom left corner
  • I came up with this solution after reading somewhere about small screens(like laptops, netbooks) and panels, that you should put the panel on the left or right so you can use more of the vertical space that the small screen offer. The usual places are bottom and top but it wastes a few pixels of your small screen, you end up always looking at your bar instead of the content of the screen. This is particularly useful for things like web browsing because usually you scroll down and if the panel is at the bottom you are always looking at your panel instead of the content.

Screens are a rectangle and widescreens are even more stretched so there’s more space on the left/right sides than bottom/top. People usually focus their attention and field of view in the middle of the screen and the eyes blur the left/right far sides: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_vision.

Right now this panel is using just 26 pixels, I can make it even smaller or just configure it to hide automatically but I don’t like this, I prefer the panel there.

• @ssspacez See? I love XFCE! It can be pretty much anything you want it to be! Nice setup. 😀

• Xfce is very customizable!

Tip for those that don’t like the Xfce menu and like to use the search function: install the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin with pacman, yaourt or Pamac, remove the menu from the panel and add the Whisker Menu plugin.

If you like to launch the menu with Super key(Windows key) go to Keyboard settings > Application Shortcuts > Add > type the command xfce4-popup-whiskermenu > OK > press Super key, or another keyboard shortcut of your choice(source).

I’ve just added the suggestion of including the Whisker Menu in the antergos-xfce-meta package, this would make things easier.

• @ssspacez Very good advice!

You can also install all of the XFCE plugins in one go by:

sudo pacman -S xfce4-goodies

• I might have to give XFCE another try then…

• Yeah, I’m alsto kinda tempted to switch to XFCE, using Gnome atm. But I still want the antergos-XFCE-stuff. (As I understand this requires a complete recovery?). And I’m not prepared to configure my computer again after I’ve just got everything to work. Some stuff are vital to me (to be able to do school-stuff).

Any ideas?

• I’ll test it to be sure, but you should be able to just do a

sudo pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies

Log out and then change the session type to XFCE4 and log in to it. I am almost positive that GNOME and XFCE play nice together.

• Yup. Works fine. :)

Before:
    alt text

After:
    alt text

• And after some tweaking. Edit: updated Conky layout.

alt text

• @Palanthis

The basic Xfce look is a bit ugly/simplistic in my opinion, but just dive into some configuration windows for a few minutes and it looks like an entirely new Desktop Environment, I am always amazed about how different Linux desktops can be from one person to another. In other OSs like Windows, I guess more than 90% of the computers look the same, and when people customize anything usually is just a different wallpaper.

• @algeee Read this advice before switching Desktop Environments.

• @ssspacez I like to think of the initial XFCE desktop like a blank canvas. No one would just leave it like that. It’s just waiting for you to tweak it to your heart’s content. Kind of like OpenBox.

• @Janxinz nice wallpaper !

you may need awesome-fonts installed ?

sudo pacman -S awesome-terminal-fonts

http://fontawesome.io/cheatsheet/

• What would awesome-fonts accomplish aside from aesthetics? I try to avoid downloading fonts 😬

• @Janxinz it looks like that tey are missing at your blocks:
    0_1516138892665_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-01-16 22-40-57.png

My one is using the awesome fonts as icons:
    0_1516138905414_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-01-16 22-41-16.png

snippet from i3blocks.conf:

# Disk usage
    #
    # The directory defaults to $HOME if the instance is not specified.
    # The script may be called with a optional argument to set the alert
    # (defaults to 10 for 10%).
    [disk]
    label=
    instance=/home/killajoe
    command=/usr/lib/i3blocks/disk
    color=#96c6f8
    interval=30

[temperature]
    command=~/.config/i3/scripts/gputemp.sh
    color=#96c6f8
    label= GPU
    interval=10

[temperature]
    command=~/.config/i3/scripts/temperature
    label= CPU
    color=#96c6f8
    interval=10

# Weather
    [Weather]
    command=~/.config/i3/scripts/openweather.sh
    label=Berlin
    interval=1800
    color=#7275b3

# Date Time
    #
    [time]
    label=
    command=date '+%a %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S'
    color=#dbcb75
    interval=1

• @joekamprad Looks nice :) I will have to configure then! Im also having issues with getting my CPU temp. It does not display anything even after tweaking the config file a bit.

Posts 547Views 399184
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.