• [kinda solved] Chrome Update Today?

I updated Chrome today, and it did something weird with the “chrome” around the webpages… looks like everything is heavily zoomed in, even though the settings are all correct. Just curious if anyone else noticed any anomalies with Chrome after an update…

• Here’s what it looks like:

Workspace 1_002.png

• If you’ll pardon the expression, notice how huge the “chrome” around the window appears.

I’m going to try purging the config directory for Chrome and restarting.

• That did nothing. I’ll use Chromium until I, or someone else, can get this figured out. Maybe will be a good time to learn if there is any real reason to use Chrome versus Chromium…

• looks awesome i would keep it
    :smile:

just kidding what DE are you using? maybe a theme has messed it up.

really though i would just use chromium. add pepperflash to it and you are set. you wont notice any difference
    :+1:

• @megaman - Running Cinnamon. Chrmoium is working fine, and I got Widevine running for netflix in Chromium. But, at this point, its a matter of principle ;) It was working just fine before that update ;)

Even if I tell Chrome to use its internal classic theme instead of GTK, the problem persists. Seems that something is just wonky with Chrome, but at the same time it’s weird that no one else here can confirm the issue.

• I also tried different themes and Window decorations, but they make no difference since the part that is “warped” is not a part of the GTK theme, it is part of Chrome itself.

• that is odd i dont see anyone else reporting that but that would be because a lot of people use chromium.

• @megaman How do I uninstall with pacman, but also purge EVERY file that has anything to do with a program? I’d like to try uninstalling Chrome and purging all its config files, etc.

In the meantime, I’m happily using Chromium, but as I said, it’s personal now, and i have to make it work!

On a side note, is there a magic trick that can be done to speed up the opening of browsers? No matter what browser I use, it opens slowly compared to ,say, Chrome or Firefox in Windows . It performs fine once it’s open, but it can take 15-25 seconds to open.

• @Myk-Robinson said:

@megaman How do I uninstall with pacman, but also purge EVERY file that has anything to do with a program? I’d like to try uninstalling Chrome and purging all its config files, etc…

Not sure about Chrome, never use it. To completely remove Chromium I use the following procedure.

• remove the stuff visible by pacman (the program)

sudo pacman -Rcssn chromium

• the command doesn’t remove all application’s data. It is usually located in:

• ~/.application
      • ~/.config/application
      • ~/.cache/application
      • ~/.local/share/application
        in this case, application = chromium

Some locations may be empty or not exist, some may be very big. SImply use rm -r <dir> to remove all of them. This is a real example, when I remove chromium.

• purge all the remaining data

$ rm -r ~/.chromium
      rm: cannot remove ‘/home/just/.chromium’: No such file or directory
      $ rm -r ~/.config/chromium
      rm: cannot remove ‘/home/just/.config/chromium’: No such file or directory (was manually removed previously)
      $ rm -r ~/.cache/chromium
      $ rm -r ~/.local/share/chromium
      rm: cannot remove ‘/home/just/.local/share/chromium’: No such file or directory
      $ 

Still use it when an installer doesn’t allow to exclude Chromium from the installation. A similar approach may work for Chrome.

• @Myk-Robinson said:

Maybe will be a good time to learn if there is any real reason to use Chrome versus Chromium…

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/79510.html
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @Myk-Robinson said:

I’m happily using Chromium, but as I said, it’s personal now, and i have to make it work!

:smile:

• @megaman There’s an update to Chrome today. Curious to see what shakes when I install it…

• Today’s update sorted it out. So, I didn’t “personally” fix it, but it’s fixed…

• @Myk-Robinson good to hear. going to stick with chromium though?

• @megaman , apparently today’s Chromium update has made it do that same thing… So I guess I’m using Chrome today.

We’ll see what tomorrow’s updates bring.

• bizarre! never seen anything like that in my chromium.

• @megaman Here they are side by side. Yes, definitely odd…

Workspace 1_002.png

• @Myk-Robinson strange! very strange no one else on here is reporting it.

• Maybe theyy’ve not run their updates.

My Chromium version is 43.0.2357.124

Chrome is 43.0.2357.125

Posts 39Views 7047