• Screen tearing with free drivers

I recently built a new PC recently, but I’m having issues with screen tearing. I notice it when scrolling on some websites and especially on YouTube videos. I tried installing the nvidia and nvidia-beta drivers from the Arch repo’s and the AUR, but both of those resulted in X booting to a blackscreen. I tried to trouble shoot this with the tips on the Arch Wiki under the Nvidia section, but I couldn’t get anything to work, so I’m wondering is the GTX isn’t well supported yet.

To my understanding, installing the Nvidia drivers over the default free drivers involves simply installing nvidia and nvidia-libgl, and then running nvidia-config on the next boot, however I can never get to that next boot because I get a blackscreen on X and cannot even get into an alternate terminal.

Am I missing something with the Nvidia installation? If not, is there anything I can do to improve the screen tearing with nouveau?

• Hi,

DO you have a single Nvidia card are a Intel/Nvidia hybrid setup? What’s the output of: lspci | grep VGA?

• I guess I’m rocking an Intel/Nvidia setup since my CPU has the integrated graphics stuff. Here is the output.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)

I have had to use bumblebee in the passed on a laptop but decided not to mess with it too much. Is that what I will need here?

• I have the same problem with Ubuntu (15.xx). I have GTX 645 tho. The screen blanks at boot, the way I “fixed” it was not really too good. I turned the computer on, when grub loaded I went to Ubuntu Recovery Mode, and entered failsafeX, then pressed “ctrl+alt+F1” and then “ctrl+C” to close the failsafeX. Then it took 3 seconds. And then I could use the system as intended. But I have to go through the process everytime I boot the system, which is kinda tedious.

I don’t think nVidia wil fix it anytime soon though, since proprietary drivers don’t update that often. But who knows.

And also, for installing the drivers, I found it best to go to geforce.com and download from there. (Maybe Antergos got it easier than Ubuntu).
    Installing is simple, kill the x server and “sudo ./nvidia_driver.run”.

• @ProtoTech said:

I guess I’m rocking an Intel/Nvidia setup since my CPU has the integrated graphics stuff. Here is the output.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)

yes, this is an Nvidia-Optimus card. the system has 2 GPUs. Intel and Nvidia. it’s the excellent card to use with linux.

among all distros, arch (and antergos) has the best support for Nvidia-Optimus technology. you should definitely install Bumblebee. not only you’ll get the extraordinary graphical performance, but also an enormous power saving, cold computer, very silent fans.

installing Bumblebee in arch (antergos) is very simple and safe task. take a look at this article.

• @just said:

@ProtoTech said:

I guess I’m rocking an Intel/Nvidia setup since my CPU has the integrated graphics stuff. Here is the output.

yes, this is an Nvidia-Optimus card. the system has 2 GPUs. Intel and Nvidia. it’s the excellent card to use with linux.

among all distros, arch (and antergos) has the best support for Nvidia-Optimus technology. you should definitely install Bumblebee. not only you’ll get the extraordinary graphical performance, but also an enormous power saving, cold computer, very silent fans.

installing Bumblebee in arch (antergos) is very simple and safe task. take a look at this article.

Interesting, thanks for the response guys. Is there any way to improve the screen tearing with my intel/nouveau setup? The Bumblebee stuff is cool, but I don’t like having to add a command to every program that I want to use (unless I’m missing some feature of Bumblebee that does this automatically).

• @ProtoTech I never use nouveau drivers, so can’t be of any help with them. Sorry about it.

• @just said:

@ProtoTech I never use nouveau drivers, so can’t be of any help with them. Sorry about it.

It is true that you have to use the optirun command for each program that you want to use Nvidia, correct? I may give it a shot and just edit the application launchers that I need like Chrome.

• @ProtoTech You’re absolutely correct. The general syntax for optirun is:

optirun [optirun-parameters] program [program-parameters]

where program may be anything you want, even a simple linux command. for example:

optirun pwd

And yes, it’s enough to edit menu or .desktop files, that launch some program, by preceding the program’s name with optirun. This way the program will be always launched on Nvidia GPU.

• @just said:

@ProtoTech said:

I just followed these instructions and when I rebooted I got an error saying “bbswitch: No suitable _DSM call found.” And now I cannot do anything, not even open another terminal session. I’m afraid I might have to reinstall. Any ideas?

• @ProtoTech Sorry, I’ve never encountered the “bbswitch: No suitable _DSM call found” error before. Though a very brief googling shows it could be a known problem:

1. https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch/issues/84
    2. https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch/issues/110
    3. http://archive.is/t4rXI

I’m afraid I can’t be of much help with this problem.

• @just Bummer, I saw a couple of those links already. I guess I’ll be sticking with Intel/Nouveau for now.

• Again, is there anything that I can do to improve Intel/nouveau performance? I attempted this suggestion on the Arch wiki (note: the file did not exist already so I created it first), but it resulted in me booting to a black screen when X launches, which was easily fixed by starting to a new terminal session and deleting this file.

Posts 13Views 3394