• Acer 8930g nvidia laptop... upper screen distortions

Hi all
    Have Acer 8930g nvidia laptop (GeForce 9700M GT) with Xfce4 64bit installed.
    All was working fine until some major updates few weeks ago and now I have weird glitches at upper half of the screen. Sometimes, a black bar and sometimes, several black dots.
    Sometimes, reboot helps.
    I used the official nvidia driver via nvidia-340xx, nvidia-340xx-utils and nvidia-340xx-libgl
    What could cause that?
    Image snapshot of the distortions

• @MrRoberts is this an Nvidia-Optimus card?

• It is nvidia geforce 9700
    Works fine under Windows 7 and Mint Linux 17.1

• @MrRoberts how did you manage to install nvidia ?

• Sudo pacman -S nvidia-340xx
    which also automatically installed nvidia-340xx-utils
    Reboot and then,
    Sudo pacman -S nvidia-340xx-libgl
    Press Y to remove mesa conflict
    nvidia-xconfig
    Generate new nvidia file
    Reboot

• well after i run nvidia-xconfig then reboot the screen goes black and i need to use ctrl+alt+F2 to login and remove the xorg.conf to have my desktop back

my laptop is lenovo Y5070 with nvidia GTX860MX i even installed the driver from the nvidia site but still no luck i have intel graphic too

• @han2007 What’s the output of this command: lspci | grep VGA?

• @lots-0-logs well in the other forum topic i explained it so i qoute that one here :
    "since when you issue that command i assume that uses your nvidia card anyway you can check the screenshot below for my system graphics but i still cant get my nvidia to work
    http://imgur.com/ouWcvzS

also below is my xorg.log and the image i take after i ran nvidia-xconfig :
    http://imgur.com/PZTk3eX

if the screeshots werent available tell me too upload them again
    im afraid its related to my NVIDIA card that is being very new.

also here is the xorg.conf that i generated manually : http://pastebin.com/VbSAauS5

IF the image links are not available tell me to reupload them again"

• @han2007 What is the output of the command lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]' ?

• this is the output of the new installation :
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 860M] [10de:1392] (rev a2)

• @han2007 Ok. Good answer. Thanks.

Most probably you have an Nvidia-Optimus card. It’s the best card one could ever desire to have with Linux.

Let’s move slowly. Step by step.

Do you have the inxi package installed? Could you be so kind to post back here the output of the command inxi -Gxx? It should look like:

$ inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0126
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0dcd
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
    $ 

Nvidia-Optimus graphical acceleration is NOT used in this example.
    Don’t bother about it. It may be added later.

If you can, simply respond with the output of the the inxi -Gxx command.

• Any suggestions to what might be the problem with mine?

• @MrRoberts I suspect that you have an Nvidia Optimus video card. If this is true, then the packages you have installed (listed in the OP) look very strange.

You can help us to discover what video card you’re using by posting back here the full output of these three commands:

lspci | grep VGA

lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'

inxi -Gxx

It is difficult to make any assumption about the problem without it.

• 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G96M [GeForce 9700M GT] (rev a1)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G96M [GeForce 9700M GT] [10de:064a] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G96M [GeForce 9700M GT]
    bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:064a
    Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: nvidia
    Resolution: [email protected]
    GLX Renderer: GeForce 9700M GT/PCIe/SSE2
    GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.76 Direct Rendering: Yes

Like I said before my nvidia works fine with Ubuntu, Mint and Windows. I only now with Arch Linux I’m getting this upper graphic distortions.

• Noticed something else… no matter what USB devices I insert (external hard drive, usb stick etc) it doesn’t show up or auto-mount. All glitches started few weeks ago.

• Nevermind… reformatted and installed a fresh copy of Antergos.
    No nvidia issues etc.

• sorry for the late reply here is my out put :
    http://pastebin.com/6Cj7JNrZ

xfs2 xfce418 nvidia100 upper3 screen16 Posts 17Views 3236